What's new

*** Official FREDDY VS. JASON Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Whether or not the film is good (I won't know until the end of October when it is released here), but i'm glad to see it open fairly strong - considering both franchises have been fairly lackluster at the Box Office in their last couple of installments. I'll bet it will follow suit of most other films this summer, big drops the second week. Hopefully it will be enough to get another stand-alone Nightmare film going. Or maybe they will opt for FvsJ Part Deux.

Rollo Lee

Agent
Wow, I wonder how much better it would've done if huge chunks of the East Coast actually had the power on?

Also, I think someone said that Hodder looked like a watermelon in Jason X and I have to agree. It looked ridiculous.

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
How many other people went to a showing that was sold out?
The showing I went to sold out. In fact, EVERY showing of Freddy vs Jason except for one or two were sold out at the theater I went to. Very long lines were waiting in queue just to get inside the auditorium. Wasn't expecting to see that.

Great movie BTW. Freddy kicked ass as usual and this was the first time in a long time I've enjoyed Jason doing damage.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Mine was close to being soldout yesterday at 250pm...I wasnt expecting big crowds like that! Awesome! The movie deserves it!

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Looks like this fun little flick opened to 15 million on Friday...

Of course those are estimates....

But if this is the case....

Freddy & Jason could be looking at 25 - 30 Million bucks this weekend...
If it opened with 15 mil on Friday, it's probably gonna be closer to a 40-45 mil opening weekend.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
BTW...at 1:00 mine was fairly empty. There were about 10 other people (including 3 damn little kids that kept screwing around with laser pointers :angry:).

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
I went to a seven o'clock showing, and the theater was nearly full.

How many of you had someone stand up and start shouting every time Freddy started to beat up Jason? I did. Anyway besides that guy screaming during the entire movie
I had people in front of me that went berserk in the scene in which Freddy is in Jason's dream. "Get up, Jason! Kill em!" I don't really remember what all they said, as the entire family (about 6 of them came in and sat down together....I'm assuming they were together) kept talking throughout the entire picture. And they always had the most interesting statements and points to enlighten me with:
1. Oh man he/she is dreaming! (about four different times)
2. Don't take that shit from him, blow that damn smoke in his f***ing face! (after the sex scene near the beginning)
3. Damn right asshole. Jason doesn't forgive! (after fellow gets folded up)
4. I'd like to see you try. What an asshole. Nobody has beat him yet, you moron! (in response to a character stating he was going to find and get his friends killer himself)
5. Run all you want, but Jason's gonna get you! (apparently to a cornfield of teenagers)
6. That guy smokes a ton of weed. Where does he get the money to buy it all?
7. Oh man would I love to get smoked out with Freddy!
8. Oh man did you see that? THAT was awesome!
And many similar gems.

Normally, I would have been bit disturbed by the constant onslaught of chatter, but since I was enjoying some of the comments, I really didn't mind too much this time. The one older lady did get a bit annoying with her constant need to point out the obvious, but all in all the entertainment factor was unusually high from these talkers.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I was entertained. Good to see that Jason got his creativity back. The hide-a-bed was my favorite death. The line that just a about made stand up and say "That was so f-ing stupid" was when Lori said "Jason died by water, Freddy died by fire. How can we use that?" That had to be the stupidest line of dialogue in any Friday or Nightmare. Wasn't too much "Oh no you didn't do that to Jason" during the showing I went to (which wad 8:00 on Friday), rather people just applauded whenever Freddy or Jason did what they did best. Editing was pretty bad especially that lame slo-motion morph crap that was over-used. Destiny's Child girl should've bit it earlier and what was with lingering on Linderman slowly croaking?
Good film. I'll get the DVD.

Aren

Auditioning
I saw Freddy Vs. Jason yesterday afternoon and I must say it is one of the best ever movies this year. Freddy was acting like his old school self, being a smart ass to everyone. As for Jason, he was, Jason. Killing whomever got into this path.

The kills were sick. Some of them never done before, but don't worry, Jason with his machete was still as brutal as before. Freddy's kills were all unique and done perfectly. I enjoyed all the kills.

The acting was the best ever in a slaughter movie. Although at some parts it was a little too dramatic, but that didn't bother me too much. Robert Englund was brilliant in this movie. He was just as scary as before, with one hell of an attitude. Ken Kirzinger perfectly portrayed the original Jason, and dare I say, almost better. They did not disappointed at all.

The plot was surprisingly good. It wasn't rushed, and it was explained in a clear way. As the movie progressed, we got to get a better feel for the characters, and even Freddy and Jason. Each characters weaknesses were revealed, and each character used that to there advantage. How I could ahead and say some strategy was used by Freddy and Jason, but then again, only Freddy used Jason to Freddy's advantage. Plus, Jason isn't technically an "average" person to use his brains. ;) But he did feel emotion, which really made this movie great.

The music was breathtaking. If it wasn't for the brilliantly music, I would of never gotten scared, which by the way, I did in many spots. This was one of this years best movies that the music just perfectly fit into every moment.

Overall, this was the perfect movie if your a fine of these two faces of evil. The story made perfect sense, although if you haven't seen at least some of the originals, it will be hard to understand some of the small connections.

10/10

-Aren~

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I don't understand all the net backlash on this movie, especially from some of the movie site writers (Smilin' Jack Ruby's review on CHUD.com being especially ridiculous). There are plenty of valid criticisms you could make against this movie, but with all these online critics claiming to be huge, diehard Friday and Nightmare fans, and then picking the film apart over its lack of subtlety in the acting and plot, I start wanting to pull my hair out.

I love these movies like my own children, but they have NEVER had any kind of nuance, depth, or artistry when it comes to plot, acting, and character development. So how does someone claim to be a huge fan of the series pick this movie apart for being faithful to the tone set by every previous film?

I dunno, maybe I missed some long lost Ang Lee helmed "Nightmare on Elm Street" or Scorcese
directed "Friday the 13th", but Freddy vs Jason plays like every film in the two series that came before it (though it is significantly better than most of its predecessors...but I love 'em all).

This is not a perfect movie by a long shot, but the main criticisms springing up from the main movie and horror sites seem so hypocritical and deluded, as if the writers have some sort of candy coated nostalgia that takes control as soon as they think about the previous Jason and Freddy films.

My last comment. I wasn't too upset about Hodder being replaced, as I figured maybe the script called for range that Hodder may or may not have. But after seeing the movie, I don't see any valid reason that Hodder didn't get the gig. It doesn't detract from the film really, but as a geek I wish a guy who has embraced a role most actors would think themselves above got the shaft.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
For the most part, I agree with you Nick. Especially regarding the Chud.com review. Like others I grew up with these films, and love most of them to death...and as you said, for the most part FvJ does play exactly like every other film in both franchises. But for me, there in lies the problem. I have a pool of 17 films to choose from already, and I'm not exactly giddy to see another identical film. Scott mentioned in his review that "If I(he) can recommend Friday the 13th Part 2, a film that's basically as plotless as a movie can ever be, then surely I'm being a bit too rough on Freddy vs. Jason by dismissing it as 'lurchy and plot-heavy'." I agree with that statement completely...but at this point I would rather watch F13 Part 2 than FvJ.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I agree with the CHUD website taking things too far and going way overboard...

You want to know why CHUD gave this movie a huge backlash??? I can give you the answer to that...

That site was involved in the production of Jeepers Creepers 2... They have done nothing but praise the hell out of the movie even before and during the production... The same site has had a negative attitude to FVJ since production first started...

Both movies are coming out close together... I think that CHUD was trying to down FVJ and up JC2 in a hope to maybe wipe out any competition FVJ might give JC2 financially...

The site was going to hate FVJ no matter how the movie turned out...

Lets face it... Chances are Jeepers Creepers 2 will not be beating out Freddy vs Jason at the box office once all the numbers are said and done... It will most likely be a fairly large difference financially between the 2 movies final totals...

As for the movie... After seeing the finished version (liked the test version better when I first saw it), I dont care too much for it... It's passible... Not something I think I would watch again anytime soon... It's missing something IMO... There are others in the series I enjoy much more... Then again, I saw them when I was little, so they hold a nostalgia factor... Maybe if I was 8 (when I first saw Elm Street 3), I would have loved FVJ to death just like I did Elm Street 3 when I first saw it many years ago... These movies have lost some of their enjoyment over the years (the generation switch, things just in general changing, etc), but I still enjoy watching a few from either series every now and again...

But, I agree... The CHUD backlash was taken way out of hand... Much more than needed...

As for Freddy vs Jason... I can see both sides of why people loved it and why people dont... Personally, I just expected something else... What that is, I dont know...

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I just read last week's Entertainment Weekly, which has a brief but good article on Freddy vs Jason. According to the article, Joe Wolf (who can be seen in the documentaries
of the various Halloween DVDs) now owns the rights to the Michael Myers character, and has approached New Line about having Michael join the fray in the next film (which I'm assuming will happen based on Friday's box office estimates).

Also, www.fridaythe13thfilms.com/home.html has four of the Freddy vs Jason scripts rejected by New Line over the last few years, including one by Brannon Braga and Ron Moore of Star Trek fame (well, infamy in regards to Braga).

D

DAN NEIR

I saw the movie and loved it but two questions I have,
1) Is it me or did Jason do all the killings except for one. The only person I remember Freddy killing was the guys' best friend from the asylum.
2) Since when is Jason afraid of the water? He paused in the dream world when the water seperated him and Freddy then he gets all terrified when Freddy emerses him in water. Did the writers not see any of the previous films? Jason has gone in the water several times, to make kills and never hesitated. Look at the ending of part 6 when he goes after Tommy or parts 4, 7 and 8. He was in the water at some point in each of those.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Here's the take on it all: DO NOT go in expecting to give two shits about any other character in the film. ALL the other actors are horrible and fortunately serve as cannon fodder. In addition, DO NOT go in expecting a coherent script. This baby has plot holes you can drive a Volkswagon Beetle thru...

However, the conflict between the two Icons, and the last 30 minutes, make the movie. You really get the sense that you're watching Motion Picture History being made, and all other problems with the film seem insignificant.

At my (sold-out) showing, the audience gave it a standing ovation as it ended, and many (including myself) indicated that they may come back for a second helping. Just face it, like it or not, New Line is gonna pocket $100 mil off this thing, and the age of old-school 80s horror will be reborn...

Jeepers Creepers 2, now THAT'S gonna bomb like Hiroshima. :D

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Scott,

One of the main moderators or site owners (someone higher up in the site) was involved in the production of Jeepers Creepers 2... Involved how exactly??? I dont know... He was involved in production some way... He was on the set, etc...

They talked about it often during the shooting of the movie, etc... I caught a few glimpses of it when I visited that site before...

Members kissing the guys a**, etc because he was involved... I dont visit that site often (I dont like it in general), but I am sure there is someone around that could explain it better than I could...

But, it is 100% a fact... If you are a member at all, I am sure if you posted a question there, someone could tell you who and how... I am not a member so I can not ask the question or I would...

Beau

Supporting Actor
I saw this movie and I thought it was really great. But, it felt a lot more like a NOES movie than a F13 movie, being a much bigger F13 fan than a NOES fan, I was somewhat dissapointed. But that's just a SMALL thing I don't really like about it. I realized going in that it's not JUST a Jason movie, so I was sorta expecting/fearing I would be let down, but as a NOES movie it's THE BEST! Just wish they coulda had at least as much F13 moments as they had ANOES moments. I REALLY like this movie regardless though. The fights between Freddy and Jason are Uber Awesome! Also, did anyone notice in the Crystal Lake flashback, when all the kids are pushing Jason into the lake, one kid puts a sack over his head which looks like the same kind of sack Jason had on in Part 2. I thought that was a cool little reference to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks