What's new

Freaky Friday (2003) (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I'll be damned. I wasn't planning on seeing this in theaters, but now I plan to see it this weekend.

Finding Nemo, Pirates of the Caribbean, Spy Kids 3-D, and now Freaky Friday; Disney execs must be partying like it's 1999.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I LOVED the original, and I plan to see the new one. I remember after seeing it in 19hmmhmm, my friends and I pretended that our personalities switched.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Um Tylre, Pirates of the Carribean was a live action Disney, and it flat out rocked. But before that, I'd agree on 98's Parent Trap. Let's face it, live action Disney is almsot always crap.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Comedies are not my preferred genre, and I don't usually see Disney films, but I have a strange desire to see this one!

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Well...I might just have to see this flick...I originally thought it looked atrocious...but its looking better...

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
On the topic of the body-switch genre...

Wasn't the father-son iteration of this, SUMMER SWITCH, filmed at least twice?

Okay, IMDB says once, in 1983.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Part of the problem is that it's impossible to market this film. It is a "re-make" so it's going to look like gimmicky crap we've all seen before regardless of what the trailer shows.

In any event, I gave it a shot...and was pleasantly surprised. Funny script and strong performances from the leads (as well as Mark Harmon).

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Everyone is forgetting "Holes", which IMO is better than the Parent Trap remake (the only remake worthwhile, so far), and on par with Pirates. :D

I was going to refuse to see this, but it looks like I may be draggin my eight year old sister to another movie, I'm sure she'll be devastated. :D

Adam

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
isn't jennifer garner going to star in a movie called 13, going on 30? is it the same plot as that movie someone mentioned earlier about a boy wanting to be older so he could date his teacher? i saw a picture of this movie the other day and it has garner in some pretty ridiculous make up. i'll be the early bird and go ahead and call this upcoming jennifer garner a bomb, as it looks to be in the same situation edtv was in a couple of years ago.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Freaky Friday" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Freaky Friday" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I would hope the executive branch at Disney would get back to creating some new 'original' content that didn't rape its fabulous vault history for future profits. I was misinformed, apparently. 99% of all studio remakes are unnecessary. You don't improve on a classic. You just alter it for the present age.

That can work, as in the case of Steve Martin's Father of the Bride flicks, which take the basic premise of the wonderful Vincente Minnelli pic and bring it into the late 20th century sensibilities, while maintaining the core 'lump in your throat' appeal of the original.

But did we really need a reboot of Robert Wise's West Side Story, or Miracle on 34th Street - both, untouchables in the cinema firmament?!?

The original Freaky Friday, like the original Parent Trap, was a quality amusing and wonderfully silly premise that worked spectacularly within the time capsules of the late 70's and mid-60's respectively. Updating them for today's audience didn't warm or enliven their appeal for the modern age, however.

If the mouse house really wants to get my vote and my dollars, they can start by marketing ALL of their LIVE ACTION classics, and that includes Song of the South, to mainstream Blu-ray (not Disney Club) AND, with all of their original extra content intact. I mean, come on - they can't even get around to releasing the Glenn Close version of 101 Dalmatians on Blu. Are you serious?!?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Disney has decided that no one is interested in "old" movies. That's why they're remaking most of them. If the audience hasn't seen the original, the remake is a "new" movie to them.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Disney has decided that no one is interested in "old" movies. That's why they're remaking most of them. If the audience hasn't seen the original, the remake is a "new" movie to them.
Yep and I guarantee that there's people currently in their mid to late 20's that love the Freaky Friday or Parent Trap remakes as much as anyone loves the originals because they saw 'their' version when they were kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks