What's new

*** Official FOTR: Extended DVD Edition Thread (New packaging & Disc Artwork!) (1 Viewer)

Brenton

Screenwriter
You know, Ben. If you would look at Page 2 of this thread, you would realize that we've seen these menu shots. They first showed up three weeks ago.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
DVD Angle has two menus. Practically the same from the ones DavisDVD posted, but oddly, from another angle.:D
Link Removed

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
Looks like this is gonna be a limited ed! Just read an official press release for australia that there is only going to be 25,000 copies of the collectors ed. WOnder if the same goes for other countries?...of course on a larger scale of numbers.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Can someone post a link to the detailed info regarding the 5-disc release? I was arguing with a couple friends that the 5-disc release does not have the original theatrical version. They insisted that it did, as well as the extended cut and only the 4-disc set didn't have the theatrical version. I told them the 4-disc and 5-disc was the same except the 5-disc includes a National Geographic disc and the bookends. Am I mistaken? Can someone help me out with a link to the info?

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
more info from www.r2-dvd.org and www.bbfc.co.uk
"Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship Of The Ring - Special Extended Edition - Dvd Added Value - Build Reel 1 & 2" 79m 45s
00:11:50:05 | A Day In The Life Of A Hobbit
00:15:33:11 | Scale
00:16:15:13 | Big-Atures
00:12:27:07 | Music For Middle-Earth
00:12:06:13 | Digital Grading
00:11:32:08 | Costume Design

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I told them the 4-disc and 5-disc was the same except the 5-disc includes a National Geographic disc and the bookends.
http://www.lasersedge.com/movie/32600
You're correct on both this point and that the theatrical cut is not included. Actually, nothing from the original release is on the extended cuts if what I have read is correct. If you want the theatrical release you need to buy what's in stores now.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Ian McKellen has updated his web site, with comments on the Extended Edition of FOTR. (He got to see it in a screening room -- a theater, lucky bastard.)

My impression was that this cut is superior to the previous one and that it is a pity that there are as yet no plans to show it in the cinema, where managers gulp at the thought of a three and a half hour movie, with no interval and thereby less-remunerative refreshment sales. But perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps it's the greed of one already sated that makes this extra dish so appetising. At first sitting the original cut may be easier to digest. But this DVD is a must for the devotee.
Oddly, he says it's FORTY minutes longer than the original. Is this due to the extended credits, perhaps?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
"Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship Of The Ring - Special Extended Edition - Dvd Added Value - Build Reel 1 & 2" 79m 45s

00:11:50:05 | A Day In The Life Of A Hobbit
00:15:33:11 | Scale
00:16:15:13 | Big-Atures
00:12:27:07 | Music For Middle-Earth
00:12:06:13 | Digital Grading
00:11:32:08 | Costume Design
It's nice to see them give so much time to explain Scale, Digital Grading, and Big-Atures (a play on miniatures?), but I would have liked the music feature to be a bit longer or atleast the same legth as some of the others.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
From The Digital Bits:
REMOVED BY OWNER. PLEASE DO NOT POST
ARTICLES FROM OTHER SITES VERBATIM. YOU MAY
SIMPLY PUT A LINK TO THE ARTICLE. DO NOT RE-EDIT
THIS MESSAGE

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
If every movie in the series gets this kind of treatment then I need a LOTR shelf. All my other DVD's can go on the other shelf.
Once I saw the bookends I figured that every movie in the series was going to have a special edition that came with the book like packaging so you would have a need for the bookends.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
And that is why Ian McKellen is one of my favorite actors...
:D
Nov. 12 cannot come soon enough!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks