What's new

*** Official FOTR: Extended DVD Edition Thread (New packaging & Disc Artwork!) (1 Viewer)

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
Oh my god, those look sweet. Rather than just re-use footage or pictures from the movie, looks like Peter Jackson has specifically shot footage for the menus - I wonder if Howard Shore has written music for the menus also, or whether you'll just get background sound effects in 5.1, such as birds twittering and wind blowing the pages of the book slightly? That would be uber-cool, IMHO.

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
I just noticed something...in the first picture, underneath the words "Fellowship of the Ring", it says "Part Two".

I'm assuming this means it is the menu for the second disc, containing the second half of the movie. In which case, could the second picture be from the menu for the end of disc one?

Now, this is pure speculation, but maybe at the end of disc one, it goes to the menu shown in the second picture. Maybe it fades to black, goes to the menu where we see Rivendell in the picture (presumably disc one ends somewhere during the Rivendell sequence), and the book closes - we're then instructed to insert disc two, whereupon we get the menu shown in picture one. The camera zooms in as the page turns, showing the words "Fellowship of the Ring - Part Two" - fade to black, then fade up as the second part of the movie commences.

What do you guys think? Could I be on the money?

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Simon,
Your "crackpot theory" is a little too possible for my liking, as the thought of those being the menu's had me a little too excited ;) Ah well, I'm sure it'll still be awesome.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Simon, I would guess something like that possibly. It sure does look like we might be getting an animated book thing for the menu, which I think has a very classy look to it.
Of course for me this is all moot. I was buying the thing before they even decided to make it. ;)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
How is the quality of Polystone? Is there a possibility that they could end up partly broken through the mail? Causing a lot of angry people? Or is the material strong?
I believe polystone is very durable. If I understand, it's a plastic with the look and feel of plaster or stone. I think it should survive the trip very well.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Simon,

Interesting idea, but I think these are stills of video lead ins to the main menus.

Dan

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, time to chime in on the new thread... :)
I love the shots of the new menus, I particularly like the fact that they're using Alan Lee's paintings! They look very stylish and very well done.
About Simon's disc-changing theory, I would rather have a simple fade-to-black on disc one (no book-ends), and then have the second part start as soon as you insert disc two (with the possibility to access the menu if you so choose).
Man we need more menu shots!!

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm assuming this means it is the menu for the second disc, containing the second half of the movie. In which case, could the second picture be from the menu for the end of disc one?
Well, I believe on the next page in the 2nd image, it should say something like "The Appendix: From Book to Vision (from the specs list, this is a title for one of the discs)." This would seem like the menu for disc three.:) But what you have sounds pretty cool!

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
I love the fact that the title "Fellowship of the Ring" is in the forefront with "Lord of the Rings" in small type just like the "Two Towers" logo. Why didn't they just do that in the first place?

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Now I'm a bit confused. Do the Figurings/Bookends comes with the 4 Disc Extended Edition or the 5 Disc Collectors Box Set? Or Both?

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
Those pictures realy look great !!!!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I can't wait untill November when this will be mine, my precious ;)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The pictures are from theonering.net. At least that's where I saw them . I was just about to post them here and saw that Patrick had already done so.
where I saw them
One of these pictures is cleary from one of the supplemental discs. Cool.
Having seen this, I hear-by declare the Special Extended Edition DVD to be..................AWESOME!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If every movie in the series gets this kind of treatment then I need a LOTR shelf. All my other DVD's can go on the other shelf.
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread