***Official "FINAL DESTINATION 2" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Justin_S, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I'm not a big fan of the teen oriented slasher flicks that SCREAM inspired, such as URBAN LEGEND, IKWYDLS, and DISTURBING BEHAVIOR, but the original FINAL DESTINATION was a standout in my opinion, and I really loved it.

The sequel, which to me looks even better than the original (and stars the gorgeous AJ Cook to boot), opens tomorrow, and I can't wait to see it! If there are any gorehounds on the board (I love gore, but am not a gorehound, as its not all I care about), I read about some of the death scenes, and they are frickin' sadistic!

Anyhow, I'll be seeing this tomorrow evening, and will return to this thread with any thoughts I have afterwards.

2. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

I'll see The Recruit first but am anticipating this one as well for its most elaborate death sequences. The first one was very clever. [​IMG]

3. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

The first one was clevar but this one is not. The death scenes are pretty good but other then there's nothing to it. There's absolutely no logic employed at all.

Most of the crowd liked it but I thought it disgraced the good name of the first one.

4. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Bummer

I was kind of hoping they would continue with the excellent track record of the first.

5. StevenJ

StevenJ Stunt Coordinator

I have a feeling this one is going to suck, but I'm gonna go see it tomorrow afternoon before work starts.

6. John Torrez

John Torrez Second Unit

7. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Yeah there's lots of gore but not much else. The first one was a plesant surprise but this one is a letdown.

It's too bad because I really wanted this one to be good.

8. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

I agree with Mark, and am a big supporter of the original Final Destination. What's shocking is that so far this movie is better reviewed than the first. Do critics only start to like things when they're no longer original? Without the first movie's wit, Final Destination 2 has nothing to offer between elaborate death scenes. There's also a big problem with the tone. It's self-indulgent and humourless for the most part, as these characters discuss and try to evade the "seriousness" of death. Yet all the killings are presented for comic effect. There's been no uglier moment in a mainstream movie this year than audiences hooting and hollering as a mother witnesses her son get flattened into a bloody pancake.

Mark

9. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Hot damn, this movie was an absolute blast! As I stated in my opening post, I loved the original, and in my opinion, this is a very worthy sequel!

I thought some parts of the mythos were as clever as the first one, but other parts weren't, and were quite confusing. This did not detract from my enjoyment of the film though, and unoriginal or not, this film is a hell of a ride! I also don't see why its considered a bad thing to have some humor in there, as I quite liked it and thought it helped balance out the film.

The car pile up at the beginning was just spectacular! I was in awe at how frickin' well done it was. It was just amazing, and I know I'll watch it over and over again when I get the DVD.

The death scenes were indeed outstanding, and I was wondering how this got away with a R rating! Really grotesque and well done deaths that put the first film's deaths to shame.

I loved this sequel, and sorry to the naysayers, but I'm giving it [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of five simply for the pure fun as hell time I had with it, the excellent job with the crash and deaths, the loads of truly thrilling thrills that had my adrenaline pumping hard, and the overall achievement of what it set out to do! The film is definitely flawed, but I got past them and had a killer time!

10. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Is this the review thread or the discussion thread? [​IMG]

I only ask because I've got a review to drop, and it's one that may surprise some of you. (Hint: I had a ball with this movie, despite fully expecting NOT to!)

11. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

Damn I want to see this movie. The first one was like watching a Roadrunner cartoon but with gore. The Rube Goldbergesque death scenes were illogical as hell but it was still fun plus the plane explosion scene at the beginning was loud as hell and gave my speakers and heart a definite workout. Hope this one has some of those unexpected thrills along with more of the zany but gory death scenes.

12. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

I'm not against there being humour in it. It's just that the movie isn't able to balance it in a reasonable way. Some of the deaths in the first movie were also played for comic effect, but not every one of them. There's no involvement in these characters struggle to survive, because at the end the viewer has the knowledge that it will all just turn into a big joke. Final Destination 2 places importance on its characters will to survive, but then their deaths amount to nothing more than cool f/x. (Despite the wit of the first movie, death was a palpable, serious menace.) It really just struck me as spiteful of its characters, not to mention its audience's sensibilities.

13. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

*Moved to review thread*

14. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Hey everyone,

This is designated the offical discussion thread for Final Destination 2.

Offical review thread is located HERE.

Thanks,

Jason
    Home Theater Forum

15. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Wow what a good date movie. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I was surprised by the first one so was really looking forward to this one. And I wasn't let down. The opening is just mind blowing. I don't think I have ever seen a car pile up that intense, graphic, and realistic(stretched of course). As creepy as it sounds, the audience I was with cheered when it was over. From that point on I knew it was going to be an interesting night at the movies. [​IMG]

The one thing I didn't like about it that I think they could have done better was the written in death of the guy from the first one. I mean come on, a brick fell on him?

But that aside I don't know how many times I said "ohhhhh" "ewwwwwww" "gad damn!!!" in unison with the crowd. The cocaine guy's end was definately the biggest crowd pleaser.

16. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I had such a great time with this film that I went and saw it again today! As I said the deaths are groovy as hell, and my favorites would probably be the airbag
    and barbed wire
    deaths, though all are something to see! I might go see it again, and I already can't wait for the DVD.

17. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

I saw Final Destination 2 and it was much better than the first film. The film didn't take itself too seriously and all the death scenes were pretty creative (along with very graphic for a mainstream R-rated movie). It's also nice to see a mainstream horror film with lots of balls. I did have one problem with the film:

The "new life" ending was awful. She dies and comes back to life? Pfftt.... but the kid blowing up made up for it. [​IMG]

*** / ****

18. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

I had an awsome time with Final Destination 2. I haven't had that much fun at the movies in a long while!

Definately a worthy sequel.

PS: Glad to see Michael Landes again. I miss him from Special Unit 2.

19. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Ah, good news for a change. It's a good thing I'm all set this matinee Friday.

20. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter