What's new

*** Official 'Fellowship of the Ring' DVD member review & discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Polystone I believe. It's the same material that Sideshow Weta makes all their LOTR figures with.
How is the quality of Polystone? Can we expect the bookends to possibly arrive broken when sent through the mail? Causing a lot of angry people? Or is it fairly strong?

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Jefferson...Best Buy is good about adjusting preorder prices automatically. Can you tell which you preordered? The 4 or 5 disc set? And if you ordered using Best Buy's free shipping, are you at all concerned about the bookends and how they'll hold up in shipping?

For those that preordered their 2 disc FOTR set through bestbuy.com they can apply their $10 digital coupon to the 5-disc extended on top of the $10 rebate. So, with free shipping, less tax, the total for the 5-disc set should be around $29. Not too bad.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
If it's too loud - turn it down.
I wish it were as simple as that dismissive and condescending statement makes it sound. I did turn it down, but the dynamics did not magically return. This soundtrack has been compressed like club dance music. That is how they were able to make the average level so high. If they boosted the average level solely via dialog normalization, I would not care one whit.

Regards,

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Peter asked...
And if you ordered using Best Buy's free shipping, are you at all concerned about the bookends and how they'll hold up in shipping?
Well...now I am. Hopefully those statues will be immobilized inside that gift box somehow. But the price was right, so I'm giving it a go. In the even BB does botch the shipping...at least I'll have plenty of irate company.

If I do reconsider my order, is there a way to cancel it online at the website, or do I have to call someone?

--Jefferson Morris

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
"Jackson Pollocke's is the Greatest living fainter in the uniuec states allres well konghut newy wontif. if you are a little boy , you must like the film. Become the film is very beautiful and very tunny. Hope everybody can watch this film quick,since that you maybe find a different file, another world, let's go to see quickly!"
--Plot summary on the back of a bootleg Hong Kong DVD of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Sorry! Back to the thread! [giggle]

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Sorry! Back to the thread! [giggle]
Bill Hunt posted that bootleg cover on The Digital Bits a few months back, and I copied it letter for letter. I find it funny in more ways than I can even catalogue. "Jackson Pollocke"?

Getting back to the issue of my BB pre-order, I'm definitely beginning to reconsider, but there doesn't appear to be any way of changing my shipping options. I also changed the primary shipping address for my account, but that change is not reflected in the order. Disquieting.

--Jefferson Morris

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
My apologies for casting fear in your order, Jefferson. However, I share the same concerns...as a result, I've not yet decided to preorder. And if I do, I might pay the extra amount and use more premium shipping like FedEx or UPS 2-day. I just don't trust the handling used in media mail, the shipping method used for the free shipping.

I'd just call bestbuy and discuss your options. Plus, if you've got a brick n' mortar best buy in your area, they're great about exchanging or returning (unopened) items without question.

Given only a cursory glance at the box in which the 5-disc is contained, I'd say that it's pretty fragile - I see the 4-disc version inside, along with the bookends, through a thin plastic sheet. And I doubt the box is constructed of any high-grade, impact-resistant material. Nothing that would withstand the rigors of cheap shipping.

Brenton

Screenwriter
That's beautiful
:laugh: Kami's thoughts on the inside of the case kill me because that's exactly what I was thinking.
The front cover redesign is much better, in my opinion. It looks so much more elegant. I like how they re-did the title logo because now it's consistent with The Two Towers. Used to be: "THE LORD OF THE RINGS" in big letters and "The Fellowship of the Ring" in little letters. But then the logo for The Two Towers came out and it said "The Lord of the Rings" in little letters and "THE TWO TOWERS" in big letters. It's more consistent this way.
It's absolutely gorgeous. I'm ecstatic!

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Not much to add, except that I'M GETTING MY WIDESCREEN COPY TOMORROW!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!! :D:D:D
The P&S has been serviceable, but good Eru... I can't wait to get the WS one :D:D:D:D

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Brenton, it was a case of customs holding up the first shipment, and then the WS copies selling out in hours. I was supposed to wait two more weeks for a new shipment, but another store has a few WS copies left.
Nick: Looking at the bright side, the fact that the WS copies sold so massively while the P&S can be found all over the place does speak well of Venezuelan movie buffs :D

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
As to shipping, I used DVDEmpire, a favorite of mine (but I plan on using Laser's Edge soon, I promise :D), and I can count on a Monday delivery if normal postage is used. This being a special case, I am overnighting the thing in the hopes I'll have a very happy weekend. Time will tell...and it wasn't too cheap...about the price of the rebate.
Take care,
Chuck

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
According to the new Videoscan sales stats at DVDFILE, LOTR is already the #3 seller this year after its first week. The #2 seller for that week (Simpsons season 2) sold 6 copies for every 100 of LOTR, and on down the line. Pretty amazing.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I suddenly remembered that I was at a Target in Chicago last week and saw a display of FOTR DVDs and VHS tapes. To my utter surprise, every single one of the couple dozen DVDs was WIDESCREEN! All of them. Not a p&s in the bunch.

Nice!

Does anyone have the US/Worldwide numbers? (How many FOTR DVDs have sold in the US and the world)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks