What's new

*** Official 'Fellowship of the Ring' DVD member review & discussion thread (1 Viewer)

JenaroM

Stunt Coordinator
The import R1 DVD has arrived to stores in Monterrey, Mexico. I picked up last night, but I will take this friday night to view it. I'll post my comments afterwards.

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
By the way, just thought I'd mention something else. None of the 'goofs' have been corrected, although it appears that what was once thought to have been a car is, in fact, a chimney stack. :) I didn't notice any of the other supposed mistakes (such as dead Orcs wearing trainers), but there are none that I can spot.
Also, the subtitles are burned in, as there are obviously no other language tracks or subtitle tracks on the disc. I don't know how this bodes for the R2 market - as with The Terminator, Entertainment in Video (the UK distributers) might use electronic subs on the UK release. Not sure about this one, but I am very glad they kept the burned in subs for the R1 release. They are very readable and in a nice font to boot.
The more I watch certain scenes (Bag End, Moria particularly), the more out of synch the dialogue seems. Can't be my player, as most of the movie is perfectly in synch, and it's only the dialogue. I put it down to shoddy looping, and the fact that the vast majority of the film had to be looped. I can't say I noticed it in theatres, but then again I'm more critical of these things when watching a DVD! A very small fault, then, with an otherwise superb technical presentation. And I would now rate the transfer as no. 2 in my entire collection, beaten out slightly by Se7en. I expect the next release to thrash that one mightily.

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
IS there any way that some of you might have gotten an early DVD that was not fully looped properly and they have fixed this issue on the ones released for the street date?
(maybe just wishful thinking,;)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
None of the 'goofs' have been corrected, although it appears that what was once thought to have been a car is, in fact, a chimney stack.
Please forgive me, I haven't read through the entire thread yet, so I don't know if this is a joke based on something said previously (there was a smiley), or if it's serious. Just in case it's serious, the car WAS in the theatrical version, and was nowhere near that chimney. When I get the DVD (you lucky sods!) I'll find out for myself if it was taken out or not.

Again, sorry if it was a joke.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
For the 10 USD rebate: this original rebate request certificate, store receipt AND original proof-of-purchase from the LOTR:FOTR theatrical version DVD, store receipt AND original proof-of-purchase from the LOTR:FOTR Collector's DVD Gift Set
BAH! No way i'm chopping up my precious DVD cases for a measly ten bucks!!:D

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
BAH! No way i'm chopping up my precious DVD cases for a measly ten bucks!!
Yeah, good point... I don't think it's worth it, it's only 10 bucks after all. Plus the two editions (theatrical and extended) are more complementary than anything.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Simon, I'm a little concerned about the sync issues you keep noticing because there's seriously next to nothing that is noticable on my set up, only about three looping syncs which I mentioned before that were there theatricaly and on the Academy screener DVD which are more result of McKellen not articulating words fully.

"To the bridge of Khazad Dum" is actually in sync, what you see is McKellen saying "T the bridge..." His delivery of "to" doesnt see him articulate his lips, it's rather common for him if you study his speech patterns in interviews and some other films of his.

Dan

Winston_T

Agent
LFE is Low Frequency Effect aka the bass channel.
Feature Article - "The Misunderstood 0.1 LFE Channel in 5.1 Digital Surround Sound" - April, 2000
Link Removed

Winston_T

Agent
BAH! No way i'm chopping up my precious DVD cases for a measly
I agree also, EXCEPT, isn't the proof a purchase a small tab on the inside of the case. i.e. not like a standard product UPC/PoP that you have to "chop" up? I believe so, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Simon, I'm a little concerned about the sync issues you keep noticing because there's seriously next to nothing that is noticable on my set up, only about three looping syncs which I mentioned before that were there theatricaly and on the Academy screener DVD which are more result of McKellen not articulating words fully.
I concur with Dan, I didn't notice any out-of-synch problems (other than the ones which were already in the movie) either. Perhaps it is something with Simon's HT set? It may be a bad disc too?

David Glenn

Second Unit
Please DO NOT name those breaking streetdate on any DVD
-- Administrator
Does anybody know if there is any difference in the disc content between the U.S. release (New Line) and the Canadian release (Alliance Atlantis)?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
David, we can not allow public naming of where and who is breaking streetdate of ANY DVD on the HTF. This restriction upon members is actually in the buyers favour.

The Canadian and US discs will be identical, though the New Line logo on the spine of the box may have been replaced with an Alliance one.

Dan

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
Where is the car then? I can honestly say I've never noticed it! If you tell me roughly where it is, I can look for it on the DVD and tell you if it's there or not. Apologies - it was not a joke! I just assumed that when people talked about the car, they were referring to the plume of dust, or in this case, smoke rising from the ground.

As for the synch issues, I just watched the beginning of the film again (first hour or so) without a break, and it seemed pretty much perfectly in synch. Wierd. I put it down to a number of things: firstly I probably picked up on one bad bit of looping (during the "Bilbo's pity may yet rule the fate of men" speech in Moria - by far the worst I saw), and started to get paranoid that my disc/setup was faulty! Really guys, if my most recent viewing is anything to go by, it's my eyes and ears and their connection to my brain that were at fault! It truly is a reference quality disc. Even the most nitpicking HT fanatic will not be disappointed.

P.S. I doubt it is a faulty disc, or part of a faulty 'early' batch. The only reason I got it early is that a certain UK R1 e-tailer sends out their pre-ordered copies as soon as they are in stock. The only time I've ever heard of faults affecting a disc are when the disc has exhibited clouding and stopped playing, or when subtitles or some such thing have been accidentally left off. I highly doubt whether just one batch could have an differently mastered sound mix!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Simon, how's your HT calibration? You may want to explore the delay ratio in your settings in speaker distance and what have you. That's good you realised you're insaine though. :)
As for continuity:
The angle switch on the Argonath is as it was theatrically. Both hold out left hands for the most part, then at the shot when they are in the distance, one is clearly holding out his right.
I'd argue the car is still there but you can't see it due to the low resolution of DVD. 7 times and I never even spotted it on a 60ft screen theatricaly.
Dan

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
There is a decent review of the movie in the latest DVD Etc. Mag. They even have a short interview with Mike Mulvihill (New Line's Ent. VP of Content Dev.)
I liked it, even though I wish there was more ;)
Then again, who can get enough of this movie? ha ha.

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
I'd argue the car is still there but you can't see it due to the low resolution of DVD. 7 times and I never even spotted it on a 60ft screen theatricaly.
Dan
Funny you mention that Dan, I saw this movie in theaters at least 20 times and I never managed to see the darn car.
And believe me, I looked.
I'm starting to think it is all an urban legend.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The angle switch on the Argonath is as it was theatrically. Both hold out left hands for the most part, then at the shot when they are in the distance, one is clearly holding out his right.
Dan, I thought this was already discussed here (but maybe I'm thinking of tolkeinonliken.com) and it was clarified that this was just a "trick of perspective".

I'll have to look in 'The Art of the Fellowship of the Ring' later and see if they actually comment on this.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Sean you could be right. Viewing the composite shorts in the Art of FOTR, the image is JUST clear enough to see that that the perspective of the shot can perhaps play tricks.

If you look at the still image in the book (page 89), you can just make out that it's still the left hand, what fools you is the bulge of his right arm holding the sword. From a far on the DVD, that looks like his cloak flowing back off his right arm thus making you think his right arm is being held out.

That said, you know, I am pressing my face close to the TV here and it really does look like the right arm.

Dan

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Checking the shot of the composite in the book again, the shot in the film at it's widest point is not the same as that in the book (there's way way more of the mountains in view in the composite shot shown in the book). With that, I don't think we have a good reference in the book. On the DVD, it REALLY looks like the right arm is out and the cloak is flowing back off of it.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks