What's new

*** Official 'Fellowship of the Ring' DVD member review & discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I am in total agreement with Dan on this one. I cannot say enough kind words about this release. Thee sound is exceptional, the EX channel adds a lot of cool effects...like one where an arrow starts at the rear center and goes straight to the front center with no overlap in other channels. It sounds like it cuts right through the room.
The only beef I have with the sound is that it does not contain the flags to auto put my receiver into EX mode. I have to manually switch it.
There, I found one weak point in the sound mix. :)
And Dan, in progressive scan on a RPTV, this thing is a sight to behold.
Again...this is a must own disc! If only for the presentation.
Equipment list:
TV: Panasonic Pt47WX49
DVD player: JVC SA75GD
Receiver: Pioneer 811
Cables: Monster Cables out the ass.
Video game systems: NES, SNES, N64, GCUBE, PSONE, PS2, Game Boy Advance, Saturn, Dreamcast, Xbox

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Being one of those few that have seen the movie on the big screen 18 times, how in the world can I get the DVd before it comes out?

I really wish someone that has a Progressive Scan TV and DVD player and a system that can take advantage of the DD-EX track could review it.

I can not thank those of you who have given their review already enough, but I am jealous that you have the DVD before the rest of us. Do you have it illegally, or is your copy something that was let out by New Line for people that are not Website people? How do you get it?

I am have heard of other people getting the movie on the computer and then coping it to DVD and even others that have the disk that was given to the voters for the awards shows to review the movie/acting/etc and then that copy gets out, but I would love to know how you have the copy.

Thank you for anyone that can help me understand!

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I cannot say where publicly, but if you dig enough places, you can find any legitamate DVD early. I found this and the Speed 5 Star early yesterday, because I am sick and have nothing else better to do than look for broken street dates. LOTR I found out about by talking to some friends who run a comic store. They told me where the DVD could be found, and I broke the speed limit getting there.
I then came back home, fired up my Panny 47in widescreen and pro-scan JVC player, set me Dolby EX Pioneer 811 pretty loud, and shook my apartment for the next three hours. Then when it was over, I did it again.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Well....it took me hours and lots of zooming and anal retentiveness, but I found some EE on here, or a side effect of compression. It is a SMALL Halo around Legolas' arrows against the sky. It is so small and minor..I dont know why I even mention it. With such a minor gripe, some will blow this way out of proportion, but it was bound to happen sometime. Even still...this transfer is as close to perfection as I have seen.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Hours, and lots of zooming????

Who can say why you would bother?

Meanwhile, I wait on my DDD delivery. Probably August 9!!!

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Why bother...I was bored, and if I didnt get to it first then someone else would, if only for the specific purpose to bad mouth this disc in some way.
Trust me...the EE is almost unnoticeable unless you are specifically looking for it. This is the first time I ever wanted to find some or tried looking for it.
Still, this disc is as close to perfection as possible.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
If anyone knows where the DVD can be found early in the longisland or NYC area, PLEASE send me an e-mail or PM.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Please, PLEASE, someone email me with the places to look for the DVD. I can't take it, people have it and I don't!!

Please....

{/beg mode]

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
I've got my family visiting next week and I was hoping to play this for them to demonstrate my home theater, but so far no luck in Spokane, WA. Anyone got any help for me...?

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Damn that was a stirring review Dan. I think I may have gotten turned on.:b

Now for the dumb question, what's LFE???

JoelO

Stunt Coordinator
Can any of you who got the DVD earlier tell me more about the $10 rebate for the 5-disc? How does it work? Does it work w/ pre-order? Between what date you have to purchase it? Any restriction?

I'm planning to pre-order mine from Amazon tomorrow, but I want to make sure that the rebate will work with it. Thanks!

Joel

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Cool, I gotta add my 2 cents worth...

I got the DVD yesterday and already devoured both discs. Here are my impressions:

VIDEO:

The transfer is really, really good. There are a few scenes where you can see some compression artifacts, but really this is only if you squint your eyes really hard and get really close to the screen.

That said, this is among the best I've seen and you can tell that they took special care with the transfer of this movie. They must have done something to the special effects because they all look amazing, they fit right in, they don't stand out. Things like the force perspective, digital actors, VFX, etc they all look amazing. The colors are rich, the blacks are deep. Great transfer really.

SOUND:

Ok I gotta agree with everyone here... while the video transfer is awesome, the DD EX 5.1 track is OUT OF THIS WORLD! One of the best I've hear ever. It's not just that it is loud enough that it gives your speakers a good workout, it's the fact that it is so very well designed.

The voices are so rich and deep (wait till you listen Saruman's deep voice in all his DD 5.1 glory!).

I'm particularly impressed with the surrounds, they don't draw attention to themselves but they completely enhance the experience. Throughout the movie for example if you pay attention you will notice that the Howard Shore's amazing soundtrack is distributed on the surrounds, while the dialogue is kept in the central channel, this makes for a very moody, almost mythical experience.

Really, I can not say enough good things about the DD EX 5.1 track, I am so impressed.

BONUS MATERIAL

I knew that this was the 'bare bones' version, but I gotta say I am also impressed with just how thorough the special features are, it really makes you wonder what goodies they'll put on the Special Extended DVD.

The documentaries are great, mostly what you expect, and while they don't go as deep into the making of the movie as other great documentaries out there (like the one on The Phantom Menace DVD), I particularly liked the fact that they kept talking about Tolkien and his creation. Look for a very emotional interview with Rayner Unwin, the orignal publisher of The Lord of the Rings.

Now, what I really enjoyed the most were both the inside look into the making of the Special Extended DVD, and the 10-minute preview of The Two Towers. Both are amazing, the first one gives you a glimpse into some of the new scenes which will be added (I didn't know there were so many, 30 minutes worth of them). You get to see scenes like Galadriel giving Sam his rope, Gimli falling head over heels over Galadriel, a longer introduction into the Shire, etc.

The 10-minute preview of The Two Towers... man, I can wait! This one mixes scenes from the upcoming movie (most of which we have seen on the special preview which was attached to the movie, and on the trailer), with interviews and behind the scenes footage. It really pumps you up and you can't help but get all excited about the movie.

In summary, this is a great DVD that is definitely worth it, and is not over-shadowed by the upcoming Special Extended DVD. Really good features, great transfer and a jaw-dropping DD EX 5.1 track make this one a winner...

Cheers.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
I found out later that FOTR somehow magically reappeared in Pullman in the following weeks, but I didn't know it because it didn't make sense that it would come back. Anyways, as far as I knew it wasn't playing within 70 miles.
Dude I feel for you! I'd have been pissed if I missed it. I was initally annoyed because we didn't have it when it first came out and I figured that we were in such a small town that there was now way we'd ever get it. I was lucky to notice that it came back!

Man I LOVE LOTR!

-Marshall

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Hey guys,
Can you clarify something for me? Are there two seperate coupons or one that can be usd for either the 4 or 5 disk set? Yes,I'm that guy, I'm getting both :D
-Marshall

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,
Can you clarify something for me? Are there two seperate coupons or one that can be usd for either the 4 or 5 disk set? Yes,I'm that guy, I'm getting both
-Marshall
Ok, this is what coupon says...
It's two coupons in one, a 10 USD mail in rebate on the collector's DVD gift set, and a 5 mail in rebate on the Special Extended DVD and VHS editions.
What the coupon says on the back is this:
To receive your THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING Home Entertainment rebate, send in all five of the required items indicated below:
For the 5 USD rebate: this original rebate request certificate, store receipt AND original proof-of-purchase from the LOTR:FOTR theatrical version DVD, store receipt AND original proof-of-purchase from the LOTR:FOTR Special Extended Edition DVD
For the 10 USD rebate: this original rebate request certificate, store receipt AND original proof-of-purchase from the LOTR:FOTR theatrical version DVD, store receipt AND original proof-of-purchase from the LOTR:FOTR Collector's DVD Gift Set
So apparently you either apply for the 5 or the 10 USD rebate, depending on whether you get the Extended Edition or the Collector's Gift Set.
Hope this helps...

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Dude I feel for you! I'd have been pissed if I missed it. I was initally annoyed because we didn't have it when it first came out and I figured that we were in such a small town that there was now way we'd ever get it. I was lucky to notice that it came back!
Man I LOVE LOTR!
Yeah, I'd already seen the crappy cam version of the TTT preview by then, too. It's all irrelevant, though. I'm not sure I would've seen it again even if it had been in town the first weekend. I love FOTR, but I have my limits for all movies. I don't have a lot of cash, and over the last couple years I've started repeating movies less. About three times in theaters is the maximum (that's also how many times I've seen FOTR). Either way, it still should've been on the internet! Gift indeed :D

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Marshall, you do know that, according to the published photos of the 5-disc box, the entire 4-disc 'book' edition is one of the components of it, so it doesn't look like there is any packaging you'll be missing if you were to only buy the 5-disc one?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Piping in with initial thoughts - just had time to scan through some sequences.
The video is very very good - the opening battle scenes from the prologue are much clearer than any of the theatrical presentations that I saw. A very vivid and filmlike transfer.
The sound - oh my god the sound! This is a work of beauty I tell ya!
This soundtrack could make a tin can sound like a cathedral!
My HT room feels 3 or 4 times larger due to the expansiveness of the soundfield. Unbelievable.
I understand that Blade II also went through the same re-equalization process with it's soundtrack. New Line and Mia Casa are on to something here. I'll have to rent Blade II to listen to it.
As of now it would seem that a new standard for HT soundtracks has been set. Whatever the re-equalization process is I would like to see it become standard on all DVDs.:emoji_thumbsup:
I have reference level set at the 11 o'clock position on my Yammy 2095 - with this disc I find the 10 o'clock position sufficient. Simply amazing.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
That's a good bit of news, Lou. Thanks to all for following up with tidbits and making us jealous. I am usually more than happy to wait for Street Date...but not this time, not unless I have to :D Any members who'd like to PM me, and give me hunting options are welcome (I live near D.C.)! More than welcome! I cannot wait to see this film again!
Take care,
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks