What's new

***Official 'Fellowship of the Ring' DVD Announcement Thread (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I highly doubt an early VHS-Only release...I can't remember New Line ever doing that, and I certainly can't see PJ going along with it.

...anxious to see the announcement. Any chance that it will be up by midnight-ish...or are we literally going to have to wait till tomorrow?

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Is this trailer going to be similar in stle to the trailer at the end of Back to the Future II when they showed a bunch of stuff from part 3? If so, very cool.

MatS

Screenwriter
yeah but IGN will charge you what it cost to produce the movies in order for you to view it at their site ;)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The p&s and WS versions is not a shock for such a major release, yet is a shock coming from New Line...they have never done seperate versions(I think)

Also, while the cover art looks fantastic, I think it will be altered very little due to its wins at the Oscars.

And the other thing that looks off on the cover art is the fact the pics look like Amaray cases, not snappers. The only films New Line puts in Amarays are Infinifilm. Hopefully this is the start of a trend.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Keepcases = good. I'll be holding off for the Super Genius edition, but I'd be damn pissed if it only has the longer cut.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Make mine W I D E S C R E E N ! :D
Gorgeous box art. I was afraid they wouldn't use the poster art :)

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
yet is a shock coming from New Line...they have never done seperate versions(I think)
Not seperate releases, but they did have a couple releases that included both widescreen and fullscreen. Although I can't think of an example at the moment...

-Chad

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
It's their most profitable film yet, right? Figures they'd want to sell it to as many people as humanly possible.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Phew, I was hoping New Line would use the poster art. Who would want a full screen version of this film :p) . Now I just want to see the disc specs.

Yes it is New Line's most profitable film and it was to be expected that there would be both a Widesceen / Full-Screen release, so no suprises on that front.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
but they did have a couple releases that included both widescreen and fullscreen. Although I can't think of an example at the moment...
  • Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
  • In the Mouth of Madness
  • The Island of Dr. Moreau - Unrated Director's Cut (1996)
  • Sugar and Spice
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

...and those are just the ones I own! Each contain both Anamorphic WS and 4:3 presentations. ITMoM and SaS do it via double layers, the other 3 via flippers.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Thanks David,
I knew you would come through for me. :)
I just remembered that the first Austin Powers is dual aspect ratio on a flipper. (I don't own the ones that David listed).
-Chad

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
New Line has finally caught on as well. But who can blame them? Let's say they sell 2 million Pan&scan discs (underestimated) and about the same in widescreen. Then, I'd say there is a 50% chance that widescreen television sets hit it off in the US in the next few years. If they do, then many of those people that bought the pan&scan versions will buy the movie a second time - in widescreen. That's millions of dollars of extra revenue for New Line. After all, they could have put BOTH widescreen and pan&scan on the same disc... but that would mean possibly missing out on millions of dollars a few years from now.

Nonetheless, I'll get the widescreen version (and the 4-disc set later on) and I really look forward to hearing the full specs!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks