What's new

Official FAQs For Toshiba & RCA HD Players (1 Viewer)

mfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michel Fabien

Some movies, such as "The Perfect Storm", have a Pause/Resume which can be accessed by selecting "Top Menu". And it has "Bookmark" enabled, I believe, although I have not tried it.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
So far, my HD-DVD collection is made up of Warner films only and pause resume feature is standard with all of them as are bookmarks. Pause/resume only works while the disc is playing. If you stop playback, you're ot of luck and have to take an extra minute to go find the last place in the film you were watching. I'm talking about a feature that lets you stop the playback, and resume at another time from the last place stopped and from what Cameron says, there is no such feature on the HD-A1. Is it too much to hope for this to be added to a future firmware upgrade?

mfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michel Fabien

You are correct in saying that Pause/Resume are good functions only during a current playback. As I said I didn't try Bookmark... you are saying that Bookmark will be lost if you stop and playback the movie some other time?

I have a Sony 5 disc changer DVD player and love the Resume function. I always have a few Concert DVD's in there and I can Resume any disc at any time... it can store 6 Resume positions (6 different discs) in the player's memory.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
No, Bookmarks are stored for the next time. My gripe is mainly the small inconvenience of the extra steps necessary to actually create the bookmark. In light of the fact that this is a next-gen platform, one would assume that those features available on most units of the previous platform (DVD) would be standard fare for the new platform (HD-DVD). But I'll take the inconvenience for the amazing picture and sound quality of HD-DVD.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

The player will upscale standard DVDs via component connections if they do not have the macrovision copy protection feature installed on them. If macrovision is there it will play the DVD at 480I or 480p.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Does anyone know how to get the HD-A1 to display the bit-rate of the HD-DVD that is playing in the machine? It says on the Toshiba site that it’s a feature of the A1. But I'll be damned if I can figure out how to do it.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

There is a "resume play" button on the remote, but I have no idea if it works.

Doug

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Well, I tried the Resume Play feature and it didn't do what it was supposed to do. From the Owner's Manual, pg. 34:

"You can resume playback from the location last
stopped.
If you press 'Resume Play' after stopping playback, playback
starts from the location last stopped.
If you press 'Stop' after stopping playback, the resume
feature is canceled."

I tried the above instructions on Cinderella Man and Batman Begins, but pressing "Resume Play" after stopping playback did nothing. I didn't really mess too long with it, being Christmas Eve and what not, but I fully intend to research this issue. A call/email to Toshiba may be in order. One thought I had is that this button may only work with standard def DVDs, but I dismissed that line of thinking since the HD-A1 automatically resumes playback of regular DVDs without having to push this button. Has anyone had success with this feature?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
No....I wish this was working. Why it works for SD-DVD makes me think this could be a software issue rather than a hardware one? Who knows...

mfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michel Fabien
Jaxon's Dad,

For "Batman Begins" press "Top Menu" and once the movie has started, press the first selection "Pause". The you can press "Resume" when ready.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Michael,

What you suggest is not what I'm referring to. I'm not talking about taking a bathroom break. :p I want to be able to stop HD-DVD playback altogether, come back at a later time - say an hour, a day, a week - , hit "play," and have the player start up from the place I had stopped. This technology is pretty well standard on most standard def DVD players and the HD-A1 actually does this for standard def DVDs. Douglas Monce had posted about the "Resume Play" button on the remote, and after looking at my owner's manual I had hoped that this was the solution I was looking for. Unfortunately, we're back to square one.

Merry Christmas everyone!

mfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michel Fabien
Some say the "Bookmark" feature works to do just that. Have not tried it myself. I believe it's the "B" command when in scenes selection.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Yeah, if the title has bookmarks enabled you can hit the B button to add it to persistent memory. To get back to the spot, even after the unit is shut off, you go to scene selection and pick bookmarks. Your movie will even have a thumbnail there to pick.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Is it possible to hook up the Toshiba HD-A1 to a PC monitor? My Sony 19 inch monitor has a DVI input and I have a HDMI to DVI cable....I tried it earlier this evening and wasn't able to get a picture?

Any suggestions? Thanks :)

mfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michel Fabien
If your monitor's DVI is not HDCP compliant, Video will not be received.

Normally you are required to have a graphic card with an HDCP compliant input.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
That's the problem then....it's not. BUMMER. :frowning:....oh well...it was just going to be a temporary solution anyway. Thanks very much Michael. :)

egcarter

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric Carter

The RCA has an RS-232 port for control, the Toshiba A1,D1 and A2 do not. The XA1 and XA2 do have the port.

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
Just to clarify, in order to ensure I'm getting TrueHD (where available) through my 5.1 analog connection, what should the settings be in the HD-A1's Setup menu?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks