*** Official FANTASTIC FOUR Review Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Peter McM, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    Just attended a special screening tonight of this terrific film. Well written, good characterization, and funny; most of the humor coming from Johnny "The Human Torch" Storm, the playboy who has no problem accepting his super powers.

The print we saw this evening was a simple 2-channel stereo mix, and I have a feeling the editing wasn't quite nailed down in places. But that didn't deter the audience from giving rousing applause at the end.

2. Spero D

Spero D Second Unit

Just came from seeing it and I'll go with plaintastic. One for the kids? considering the cutsie dialogue. Johnny Storm being the only funny part of the movie and Jessia Alba was nice to look at [​IMG]

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

For 2/3 of the film, I had a good time with the film, but having to balance the levity by the FF with the the Dr. Doom segments made the last third of the film very uneven.

The interplay between the FF members was pretty good, much of it was true to the spirit of the characters in the comics. Johnny Storm provided most of the yuks, and usually at Ben Grimm's expense. I can't say there was great on-screen chemistry between Reed Richard and Sue Storm, but it wasn't horrible.

After the "origin" segment is over, the film sort of putters along, but it never gains a lot of traction, so the final act is average, not terrible, but not great either.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

4. WarrenL

WarrenL Stunt Coordinator

I saw this movie last night and not since the new Dawn of the Dead have I enjoyed a movie so much. I've seen Batman Returns, Land of the Dead, and War of the Worlds and after those this was so much fun to watch. I thought it moved fast and covered things it took some other movies two tries to cover. I was skeptical about many things but it was all laid to rest in the enjoyment of the movie. In the end it left me wanting more. I realize I stand pretty much alone in my views..so be it! bring on the DVD. I'll probably check it out again one last time on Sunday.

5. Adam Portrais

Adam Portrais Stunt Coordinator

Got back from seeing a 2:30 show and I was very pleased. Being long time Fantastic Four fans I went with my Dad (who has been a fan since FF#1, of which he still has) and we both thought the film was done really well. Yeah, it's an origin film and things are changed around a bit but the essence of the FF is still there.

I thought Alba would totally suck ass but she really wasn't all that bad. The Thing looked a whole lot better than I thought he would (his size and weight were handled really well, you do get a sense of how big this guy is). Johnny is as much of a smartass as he should be and the flames....damn they look good. And as far as the "Reed's powers looked crappie in the trailer" stuff, let me say that what you saw was very little. Reeds powers could have been a disaster but they ended up looking great. But please keep in mind that this is a set up movie. Remember that (as of late) superhero movies tend to get better with sequels; X-Men, Spider-man, (and finally) Batman anyone?

My advice is this: You shouldn't give two shits about what anyone says. You like the FF? Go see it! Then decide if you think it sucks. Don't let some slob at his keyboard tell you if it's any good (this includes me), get off your ass and see for yourself, economic times are not sooo bad that you can't spring $6.50 for a matinee. Buck up and do it.

By the by, in case you did want to know I rate this flick [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] /[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I just got back from a sold-out showing of FF at our local AMC. I had a free ticket from the "I Robot" dvd, so it didn't cost me anything. While not as polished as the Spiderman movies, nor a character-driven as Batman Begins, I will say that I really enjoyed the movie. I'll be buying the DVD when it comes out.

7. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

Just saw it. I'm a huge fan of the FF comic book and I found this was good but not great. They got all the little moments right. The charcaters felt true and the tiny scnes between them work very well.

The bigger stuff, the plot and action were clumsy. I don't think Tim Story was ready for this kind of movie. His direction is uninspired and ham handed. and the jokes are hit way too hard to have life to them. such as when a dalmatian covers its eyes in the fire truck

My wife came up with an interesting theory as we were walking out of the theatre. She supposes that marvel doesn't want the same audience to see their movies, they want different KINDS of audiences coming. X-Men was dark and dramatic, Spider-Man was romantic, Hulk was indie movie intellectual (which is why it failed. It's the freakin Hulk!), Blade was horror, and Fantastic Four was for kids. Judging by how many kids were in our audience, I'd say the strategy worked.

8. JoSAN

JoSAN Second Unit

9. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Fantastic Four". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

10. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

From all the bad reviews...I had low expectations. Went to see it last night. It wasn't that bad. My friends and I enjoyed it.

11. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] (out of 4)

Just got back, and my wife and I liked it! My wife kept feeling sorry for poor ol' Ben Grimm, and I felt the same. I was never a big fan of the Fantastic Four comic, so I'm sure I couldn't tell you if there were mistakes in the movie (though anyone else please feel free to clue me in on this) but I am somewhat familiar with the character of The Ever-Luvin' THING -- and I though he was very well captured in this movie. I used to read MARVEL TEAM-UP or MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE, where the Thing would guest star, so he was always cool with me. His sympathetic, tragic character is the best element of the film.

I think this one spent a lot of time on the origin, and getting to see how the cosmic ray accident is affecting all the members, more than much of anything else - and that was okay with me. Someone tell me, though - was the Human Torch always that much of a jerk in the comic book? I thought it was fun how he nagged Ben, but I'm referring to his being so childishly gung-ho about his new ability. I'd like to know if this was consistent with Johnny's character in the mag, and either way at least it was a contrast from the others'.

Really liked the effects, and was pleased that The Thing had a costume and wasn't all CGI rendered. And I didn't see any broken glove.

I know the response to this has been lukewarm by many, but the audience I was with loved it, and applauded at the end.

12. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Saw it last night, a little weak, but not bad. The tone of the characters was pretty good, except for Reed, who felt like Ross from Friends. Reed should have been older, more of an egghead and more confident. But they did well for Ben and Johnny, even Sue. Overall, I'd say it was satisfactory but it won't be remembered as a great comic book film like Superman: The Movie, Spiderman 1 & 2, and Batman Begins. The X-Men films were better too. Still, it was not the disaster that it was made out to be in the reviews.

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Nothing was bad, there just wasn't enough. I would have preferred another half hour to make Dr. Doom seem more like he's actually Dr. Doom.

Batman Begins had a LOT of exposition with some interesting events spread althroughout, but one amazing, long action sequence at the end. The equivalent payoff in FF is about 5 minutes and is rather dull.

Frankly, Batman Begins, Spider-Man, and X-Men have all done a better job of establishing a good guy and a bad guy while keeping the film interesting.

Also, some moments seemed too forced. Like when Susan has an argument with Ben, then another one with her brother. It was already obvious that things were kinda falling apart, but they had to just force it to the point where it felt like a bit of a soap opera for a few minutes.

Overall, a little uninteresting. I might see it again (or watch on DVD) just for fun, but it's no Batman Begins, X-Men 2, Spider-Man 2, etc.

14. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Saw it yesterday at the 3:00 matinee ... and VERY surprised at the great turnout, given a Sat. show - almost sold out!

Overall, I thought it was a really enjoyable movie. As was mentioned above, the movie rocketed out of the chute from the beginning. If you have friends that are consistantly late coming in during the opening credits, you need to make other arrangements! As with Batman Begins, from DC, this Marvel movie has NO opening credits; simply "Fantastic Four", then the fun begins. (I didn't think that had to be in a Spoiler block, so I'm sorry if it offends).

Anyway, action is fast-paced. Not necessarily a bad thing.
    They have to attempt to develop FIVE major characters, so I guess the pace is warranted. I didn't mind the slight alteration of Doom's origin. All the rest were pretty true. Effects were fabulous. Johnny's flames- what can I say!!
    The Thing's voice- it's exactly as I thought it should have been. And I remember watching the cartoon. No, not the '90's version- the 1960's version! So it reminded me of that voice. Wonderful.[​IMG]

All the above being said, my opinion is that this movie lacked "heart". I found that I only really cared about 2 of the 5 majors -mostly the Thing (he stole the show) and the Human Torch. I really wanted a little more of that intangible stuff that really good movies are made of, but hard to put your finger on.

But I reiterate- I enjoyed this, and I'll be seeing it again soon!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] /[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Watched this film yesterday with a free ticket and had a pretty good time. I'm really looking forward to a possible sequel because it will allow the movie to focus on the characters more without them having to explain their past history and how they acquired their super powers. Overall, a good summer film.

Crawdaddy

16. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I thought it was pretty awful.

Wooden acting
    No story/plot/backstory
    Lame bad guy
    Horrific SFX

Glad I got it for free because i would have wanted to demand my money back.

1 1/2 out of 5.

17. Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez Screenwriter

Just came back from a 10:15pm screening and it was packed for a Sunday night late show! I loved it! Better than the first X-Men. I really had a fun time watching. I thought the chemistry between the four was great. I liked how most of the movie dealt with their origin and new found powers, especially Johnny Storm. The movie had good laughs and really felt like a comic book come to life. Reed Richards showed why he was the true leader at the end and it was great how they worked as a team when fighting Dr. Doom. Overall, the SFX was pretty good. They just need to work on Reed's stretching abilities. Still, a great start to a franchise and can't wait for more.

18. Dennis

Dennis Second Unit

Excellent review JoSAN.

I just got back from watching this film and I had to find out why it got such bad reviews. I purposely didn't read them, though I read some blurbs, because I wanted to go in with little or no expectations because I learned my lesson from the first couple of Batman films and Batman Begins. I did however find out that the director had previously done Barbershop, which I also enjoyed but didn't help going in, so I quickly forgot about it and went in with an open mind.

I'm not a fan of the comic book, only have cartoons to go by, but I enjoyed this film throughout. I was very impressed at how good Fantastic Four was.

I did hear some negative things about Jessica Alba so I played close attention to her performance and could not find a false note; she did an excellent job as Sue Storm/The Invisible Girl. Ioan Gruffold was just as good as the nerdy Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic, who eventually proved himself as the leader. Michael Chiklis was perfect as Ben Grimm/The Thing; he was the heart of the movie. Chris Evans was also perfect as Johnny Storm/The Human Torch, hilarious. Julian McMahon hammed it up as Victor Von Doom/Dr. Doom but his actions showed he was no joke. I enjoyed all of the performances.

I don't like to compare all comic book films because they are different. I wouldn't say this is comparable to Batman Begins because that was more of a mood piece, but I would compare it to X-Men as far as the group dynamic.

Tim Story could not do with his film what Bryan Singer did with his, sacrifice certain characters development for streamlining what would otherwise be a 3-hour film. You can't just tell The Human Torch's story without telling The Thing's, or Reed without Sue, take your pick. This film told enough about the 5 main characters that it felt complete but I would bet there is more to tell. Bring on the sequel.

Jose, you beat me to the punch, you're review was right on.

19. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

[​IMG] out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm in complete agreement with Shane Martin's review:

I also agree that FF should NOT be like Batman or Daredevil or X-Men; from what little I know, it's not about angst or fear or hiding themselves, Ben Grimm not withstanding.

I thought Chris Evans was the best thing about the movie; loved the character, thought the flame F/X were, well, fantastic, and I liked the energy and fun spirit he brought to the movie.

Unfortunately, the film was weighed down with terrible acting and even worse dialogue. Hard to know who the biggest offender was - Jessica Alba or Julian McMahon. Both were exceptionally unconvincing in their roles.

The Thing should have been CGI, ala Gollum. The makeup was just not convincing, and having him stay roughly man-sized really took the oomph out of the character. I liked Chiklis when he played the non-radiated Ben Grimm, but found having him in a costume just silly. And without spoiling anything, I thought Grimm's decision at the end of the movie incredibly hard to believe, given what we were shown for the whole movie leading up to that.

Given the accomplishments of other comic-based movies (Spider-man 2 and Batman Begins, particularly)in the last year alone, it's too bad that FF didn't strive for writing and acting that were of similar quality.

20. Kristin_Vogel

Kristin_Vogel Auditioning

Loved teh review by JoSAN and i totally agree with what was said. I really enjoyed the film as well - and i think it had the best of everything at decent levels...it was comical and had the action and the romance part, and being teh first it set teh stage for the next sequels...

I recomend it - and i think what made it good for me too was that I didnt have high expectations for the film, but it was good! and i would watch it again!