What's new

**Official FAHRENHEIT 9/11 Discussion Thread - READ GUIDELINES BEFORE POSTING!*** (1 Viewer)

Seth--L

Screenwriter
quote:Michael Moore to forego Best Documentary Oscar but keeps options open for Best Picture Oscar instead.

I guess that ends all debate about whether or not it's a documentary
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah I kinda figured this was coming. Did you read Moore's reason for doing this? A Director pulling his film from oscar contention stands to gain nothing from this, in fact he loses potential new revenues. Of course He'll never get a National Network to air it, Maybe PBS but even that's doubtful.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
quote:Of course He'll never get a National Network to air it, Maybe PBS but even that's doubtful.

It has already aired on national TV in Cuba. This may be the real reason he cannot submit it for an Oscar. I can see him wanting to air it on TV in the states, but if it is already ineligible it is not much of a sacrifice to give up an Oscar that he cannot win anyway.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
quote:It has already aired on national TV in Cuba. This may be the real reason he cannot submit it for an Oscar.
The screening in Cuba did not make the film ineligible, as it was an illegal unapproved screening of a pirated version of the film.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
quote:A Director pulling his film from oscar contention stands to gain nothing from this, in fact he loses potential new revenues.

Well, according to industry insiders, the film is moot as far as gathering new audiences regardless of what happens after November. The potential loss in new revenues after that may be very insignificant.

~Edwin

Seth--L

Screenwriter
quote:A Director pulling his film from oscar contention stands to gain nothing from this, in fact he loses potential new revenues.

Everyone who has wanted to see it on the big screen has. Look at the box office numbers. Everyone will now have a second chance with home video.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I think Moore is trying to at least give the film a chance to be aired on TV. If it's broadcast so soon after being in the theaters, it's ineligible for an Oscar, so he might as well just no submit it for consideration.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
quote:Yeah, I think Moore is trying to at least give the film a chance to be aired on TV.

But Showtime already has the first pay TV broadcast rights a few months after the October 5th DVD release.

~Edwin

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Maybe he's aiming for an early Showtime broadcast. I doubt Showtime would be against such a schedule change.

Of course, that all depends on FCC and national election rules. Could presenting a feature that blasts a presidential candidate be interpreted as indirect support for the leading candidate in the opposing party? If it does, Showtime may have to offer equal time to the other candidates.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
quote:Maybe he's aiming for an early Showtime broadcast. I doubt Showtime would be against such a schedule change.

But Sony's Columbia TriStar, which is releasing the DVD/video, would definitely have a say in the matter as they have negotiated an exclusive home video release window to maximize both the sales and rental aspect of the film.

~Edwin

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
quote:I guess that ends all debate about whether or not it's a documentary

A conclusion not substantiated by the article, Seth. Either you did not actually read the article or understood the words and sentences very differently than me.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
The story on CNN said that a TV broadcast would make the film ineligible for the Best Doc Oscar but would NOT make it ineligible for Best Picture.

Personally, I don't know enough about Oscar rules to be able to confirm or deny this.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I would be very surprised if it got a Best Picture nomination. It seems to be to be lacking (seriously lacking) in most of the items present in that category.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
quote:I would be very surprised if it got a Best Picture nomination. It seems to be to be lacking (seriously lacking) in most of the items present in that category.
I didn't follow that. Are you saying it pales compared to most best picture winners, or that there are items (criteria) that a best picture is judged by that it doesn't have?

Seth--L

Screenwriter
quote:A conclusion not substantiated by the article, Seth. Either you did not actually read the article or understood the words and sentences very differently than me.

Main Entry: sar·casm
Pronunciation: 'sär-"ka-z&m
Function: noun
Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwar&s- to cut
1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm
synonym see WIT

Did you not notice the smiley faces?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks