*** Official EXORCIST: The Beginning Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Coressel, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

Found this really interesting article:

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/38/features-foundas.php

Now I am interested in seeing the "Version We're Allowed to See." Looks like they just might put Schrader's version on DVD too.
    There are some very interesting comments about Schrader here as well.

2. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Did anyone else see the "E! true story" of the "Curse of The Exorcist"? It had some interesting coverage of the new EXORCIST 4, and also an interview with the Morgan Creek head honcho (don't recall his name, sorry), who confirmed that the Paul Schrader version WILL come out on DVD, and it's something the studio is fully supporting.

3. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

Don't they have fact checkers at the Times? Check out this quote:

"...Paul Schrader — the cinematic auteur who directed art-house classics like "Raging Bull" and "Taxi Driver," "

Directed? I think his buddy Marty would have something to say about that.

Good article otherwise.

4. Coressel

The NYT corrected that mistake soon after, correctly stating that Schrader wrote the screenplays to those Scorsese films.

I saw some of that show on "E" last night, and thought it was just a bunch of typical commercial bullshit. I saw it right after reading the LA Weekly column I linked earlier, which makes Robinson look like a Nazi. His comments on the "E" show then seemed rather shallow.

I try like the devil to not judge anything before I see it, so I'll definately catch the movie this weekend. But only because I'm more confident now that we will see Schrader's film sometime.

5. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

IIRC, they have to rease Schrader's version because of director's guild rules. It will be interesting to compare the two when the DVD hits.

6. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Hmm...not only do I want to see Schrader's film but I would love to see William Peter Blatty's version of Exorcist III....

..Jim Robinson seems a d**khead to me, no?

7. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

I think the trailer looks interesting.

8. Coressel

Yeah, the trailer actually looks kind of cool. I'm cautious not to get my hopes up, though...

9. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

I have no idea how this film will be, but I have to see it this weekend if only to see Stellan Skaarsgard[​IMG]

10. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

What rule is that?

11. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

After reading that LA Weekly article I really want to see Schrader's version. Its sounds really good.

12. Jeannette Walsh

Jeannette Walsh Stunt Coordinator

I wonder if they will release the 2 different versions as a set or seperately. Knowing the way studios like to milk these things it'll probably be both.

13. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

This week E! ran "Curse of the Exorcist, The E! True Hollywood Story". This interesting, albeit sensationalized 2 hr show spent the last 30 minutes or so detailing the troubled history of both "Exorcist III" and "Exorcist: The Beginning". They had detailed interviews with Paul Schrader, Renny Harlin & The CEO of Morgan Creek Studios. The CEO said the Schrader version cost ~$35 Million, the Harlin reshoot was ~$50 Million additional, and they two versions have have virtually ZERO FRAMES in common, except a few sweeping landscape shots in the prologue. He went on to explain the plans to release both versions on DVD at the same time. He commented that through DVD, cable, Broadcast, etc, the studio expected the Schrader version would recoup approx 2/3 of the [$35 Mil] cost. They also stand by their decision that the Harlin version is what they originally wanted with greater intensity, more action, more blood and more Horror in the style of the original film. Most improtantly, Morgan Creek Studios still firmly believe the "Exorcist franchise" has HUGE value.

I'll be fascinated to see both versions. I'll also be amazed if the Harlin theatrical release gets decent reviews.

EDIT: Reviews today are SO BAD ... I may have to pass on the theater and wait for the DVD retrospective. It may just be out in record time.

Scott

14. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Like the guy said in that show, it will be interesting to see the same actor playing Merrin in two vastly different versions. I'm going to go see The Beginning this weekend.

15. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Here's my review.

I'd say this flick was a big disappointment, but that would be inaccurate since I wasn't expecting much.

What will be truly amusing is to compare this turkey with Schrader's version, cuz there's very little chance that his is worse!

Plus this movie may hold the new modern record for WORST CGI EVER. You gotta see it to believe it. The movie feels like DTV product.

16. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I didn't realise they re-shot the whole film. I thought it was just extensive re-shoots. I wasn't even aware Renny Harlin was involved in this project. Obviously this production has not been on my must-see list.

17. Coressel

Thanks for the review, Scott.

I love this line:

[​IMG]

As as stage director, I'll have to use that with one of my actors sometime, just for shits & giggles...

18. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Oh well. I'm still going to go see it, because I rented Exorcist 2: The Heretic the other day and I need to get that taste out of my mouth; if Beginning is as bad, I'll simply watch the original and the underrrated Exorcist 3 this weekend.

19. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I read the DVD release will have BOTH versions
    on it.

Figures this film was a big turkey!

20. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm