What's new

***Official ET on DVD Discussion (Gift Set, Packaging, Features, Etc) Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
I will not buy it, $70 is way too high. I want the original, but can't afford to fork out that kind of cash. I was never into laserdisc, it was too expensive for me.

I hope no one buys it, send a message to Universal!!! $40 dollars is more realistic!

Kenneth Vestergaard

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not a big fan of E.T, but I would most certainly have bought it *if* the original version was going to be available at a reasonable price. It's óbviously not going to be, so Universal can forget all about this potential buyer.

Matt Wallace,

It's pretty simple to understand their marketing: a true fan will want this set, and it's their holy grail, so they are willing to pay. For some of you casual fans, you'll just buy the 2002 release, become another statistic, and it will be done.
Even though I'm what you refer to as a "casual fan" doesn't mean I wan't a f**cked up version of a classic film, does it? No, I'll not buy the 2002 re-released-politically-correct-guns-replaced-with-walkies-terrorist-is-a-dangerous-term version!

I sincerely hope the sales numbers will disappoint immensely and show Universal that they shouldn't take their customers for granted. E.T may be the second most requested film not on DVD, but that's the original version, and it will most certainly not be the second most requested film at $70!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I coughed up $90 for the LD, still have it, still cherish it. I'll take two of these $70 DVD sets thank you. I do object to the idea of the theatrical cut only being in this set, it's a real joke for those who can't, and just plain dont want to, pay the hefty asking price.

I am fortunate enough to be happy and able to pay that asking price, and lets face it, it wont be MSRP if you look in the right places. I can see the 5 disc Fellowship of the Ring release in Nov pushing a $60 price tag, not the same situation I know, but both sure tests of how much one can love a movie and is willing to spend on it.

I am sure some will be able to find this for around $50. For 3 DVDs, a CD and a script thats not bad. To soften that blow for most, Universal had better be sure the transfer of the 82 cut is of exceptional quality (& anamorphic) and is the TRUE 1982 theatrical version with the "terrorist" line and what have you, a version which has not been seen on home video in years. They want to make this special? Do that.

Dan

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
The problem is that I have the soundtrack, I don't want 2 copies. This is so unfair!!! :angry: Oh well, time to surf the on-line stores :frowning:

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
I'm also not going to pay anything over about $45 to own the original cut. I still believe that the original cut will be available in the "cheap" edition as well.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Plus, Universal set a precedent with past sets like Legend.
How can they charge $20 for that set which has more value added extras (score, commentary) and $70 for the same content on ET.

I don't think Disney would pull something like this.

I cherish Snow White more than ET (I'm not a fan anyway) and they gave everyone a limited, super deluxe DVD for peanuts.

I won't pay more than $30 for this set (I won't buy the PC version either). Something tells me it will be dirt cheap the first week, then jump in price.

And Speilberg has everything to do with this, he isn't in his office smoking a big cigar reading Variety saying, "$70?!?! Is Universal nuts?"

We will see.

Rest assured, if everyone buys it at $70, prices will start to jump. I'm not saying boycott, but get ready to pay $100 for the Lion King.

Doug

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
According to DVD file who spoke with a Universal spokesperson:
"Well, the original film was restored and cleaned up before the new effects were added, so both the 1982 and 2002 re-release editions should be comparable in quality."
Also, it was stated the original is in widescreen.
I guess this adds more value to the $70.00 SRP.
http://dvdfile.com/software/dvd-vide...002/06_07.html

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
F Spielberg and Universal!

Ok, I am a purist and would like the original cut. But no way in hell am I going to shell out that kind of dough for it. No way. No sir. Not at all.

But I love the movie, as does my 4 1/2 year old, too much to not have at least the 2002 cut. As mentioned, I am a purist, and call my hypocritical, but the enhanced CGI, and removal of guns/terrorist line does not materially change the story.

I will be buying the 2002 cut in its DTS glory, and maybe buy a second copy to shelve for a few years, but no $70 set for me.

Interestingly, I thought the "isolated score" was going to be an isolated soundtrack, not an isolated version of the live performance at the shrine. Had it been the way I thought, then there would be no need at all for that damn CD.

I will sign a petition if one is started. If the ultimate edition was MSRP of about $49.99 or less, then I would probably get it as I could see that in the stores at about a $35 point. But, alas, that still seems like too much when the 2002 cut will be sub-$20 in the stores......

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
No purchase for me. I couldn't give two @*%! about the cd or film cell. All I wanted was both versions of the film. If it is dirt cheap, maybe I will just pick up the new version.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Personally I think having a live Williams performance is an excellent feature, but I too am distressed that there isn't a version of "Ultimate" without the gimmick items (CD, Script, ETC.)

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator
I just realized I don't want the original version that much. Looks like the 2-disc version for me. It's not the money as much as my not wanting the soundtrack, script or senitype. Not worth the extra $30 or so bucks it will end up streeting for IMO.

It should be said that I'm not an E.T. purist. Just a casual fan.

If the 3-disc streets for around $50, it might satisfy the collectors but I think the 1982 version should also be on the 2-disc set.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
To soften that blow for most, Universal had better be sure the transfer of the 82 cut is of exceptional quality (& anamorphic) and is the TRUE 1982 theatrical version with the "terrorist" line and what have you, a version which has not been seen on home video in years.
I'll second that. I'm going to watch the reviews very carefully on this one. If the 1982 is truly comparable in both video and audio quality then I'll consider getting the Ultimate Edition. I think I'll sit the fence until I hear some objective opinions on that, though.
Link Removed

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
What a scam.

So to get the original version, we have to shell out $70US?

Ok, so I want this movie so much that I'll be springing for it. If there is so much as one single word censored from the original theatrical cut, I'm returning it and demanding a refund.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Thanks to DarrenA for finally pointing out the obvious - no one on this forum pays list for any DVDs.
I haven't made up my mind yet on the E.T. gift set. I imagine I'll be able to pre-order this from DVD Planet for under $50. Considering it contains 3 DVDs and the remastered soundtrack CD (which I've been meaning to buy anyway) that really doesn't seem too outrageous. OTOH, I DO have the CAV LD box (which I snagged for $25 when they were blowing them out a couple of years back). OTOH, being able to watch the original with anamorphic video, 5.1 sound (hopefully), and no getting up to change discs is very appealing.
I have a feeling I'll end up going for it. However, I'm a huge fan of this film, and that's who this box is aimed at. YMMV.
Random thought: I wonder how many of the folks complaining on this thread will be among those of us who happily go out and buy Fellowship Of The Rings in August and then just as happily shell out another $50-$70 for the gift set in November? ;)

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
LOTR is a different cookie, New Line are giving people a choice, count'em 3 choices. And they are reasonably priced.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I don't beleive we've seen an SRP on the 4/5 disc LOTR sets yet. I'm itching to find out, but it won't matter... I'm all over the 5 disc.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
...TRUE 1982 theatrical version with the "terrorist" line and what have you, a version which has not been seen on home video in years.
I'm with you there, Dan, but I thought the "terrorist" line was NEVER on home video. I have read it was cut out of the very first VHS release. Anybody know for sure??

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
John,
Check out the thread...prices are up:)
And they are reasonable to me:D
Take care,
Chuck
ET is another that I'll wait on and see reviews. 3 discs might be a lot, but I could care LESS about the 2002 version...that's a wash to me. But it is ET, and I do love the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks