What's new

***Official ET on DVD Discussion (Gift Set, Packaging, Features, Etc) Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Stas T

Stunt Coordinator
If this Hollywood Reporter article is to be believed, any of us purists who desire the original theatrical cut of E.T. on dvd will pay a premium for it.
Here's the relevent info from the article:
"E.T. Limited Collector's Edition DVD," priced at $22.95, is designed for the masses. A full-frame VHS version of "E.T." is expected to retail for about $15.
Both the limited collector's edition DVD and the VHS will carry Spielberg's remade version of the 1982 theatrical release of "E.T.," replacing government guns with walky-talkies and changing the description of a trick-or-treater as a "terrorist" to a "hippie," among other more aesthetic changes.
To get the original "E.T." on DVD, consumers will have to pay as much as nearly $70 for the "E.T. Ultimate Collector's Gift Set," which includes the original and the 2002 theatrical version of "E.T.," a CD soundtrack, a script and a collectible senitype film frame clip.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________
While I'm thrilled Spielberg decided to release the original cut to dvd, I'm dismayed that Universal will apparently punish anyone who wants it with a higher price tag than the altered, anniversary edition.
Hopefully, when actual release details are announced, Universal will have re-thought this decision and reveal the original cut will be available for the same price as the new cut, sans the CD, script, and film clip, which IMHO, are questionable gimmicks used to justify the high price, when all most people want is just the movie and whatever extra features they can fit on a disc or two.
Actually, on second thought, I wouldn't mind the soundtrack CD, provided Universal could make the package price point about the same as for their "Almost Famous" bootleg cut, which featured two DVD's and a CD for under $30. $70, however, is steep.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I would like to have the theatrical version, but there is no way I would pay $70.00 for it. I guess we'll have to wait and see what they'll do. I thought there was only going to be one scu #, but maybe they have decided differently.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Here is a Reuter's article about E.T. It appears E.T. will only be released for 10 weeks before going on a moratorium.
------------------------------------------------------------

'E.T.' Comes Home on DVD, Briefly
Thu Jun 6, 5:11 AM ET
By Jennifer Netherby and Scott Hettrick

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Steven Spielberg's "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial," the second highest-grossing movie not yet released on DVD, will come home again on Oct. 22, but only for a brief visit.

Universal Studios Home Video (USHV) will reintroduce the alien creature to home video audiences in both his big screen incarnations (original and re-release) in a limited DVD Collector's Edition ($22.95) for 10 weeks only before the title goes on moratorium indefinitely. It is the first Universal video to get a limited release.

USHV president Craig Kornblau said he expects the title to be one of the top-selling DVDs of a very crowded fourth quarter. "This has been our most requested title routinely," he said.

The only title bigger than "E.T." that has yet to be released on DVD is the first "Star Wars" theatrical release. George Lucas has said he will likely not release any of the first three Star Wars movies on DVD until he completes work on the sixth film.

The double-disc Limited Edition "E.T." DVD features 10 hours of extras. Spielberg appears in original featurettes describing all facets of the production of the original 1982 theatrical release and the updated 20th anniversary theatrical release earlier this year.

Another unique element is the isolated track of John Williams' score, which he updated for the re-release, and video of him conducting a 100-piece orchestra at this year's premiere, complete with a four-minute overture and light show.

The DVD release will cap Universal's 18-month marketing campaign that geared up around its theatrical re-release last March and incorporated its theme parks.

"We put the whole company behind it," Kornblau said. "We're kicking out all cylinders on this."

greg_t

Screenwriter
Glad I've got my ET Cav LD box set. I most definitly will not pay $70 for the original version, if this is true.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Hey,

LOL. If Universal are trying to win the most hated studio award this year then this is a good start (provided it's true). "Pay over the top, and pay it NOW!" I mean what kind of message is that?

No way am I forking out 70 bucks for the original, as much as I want it.

Chris

Tony Scello

Second Unit
Maybe it's just me or maybe I'm making too many assumptions here...but I'm not all that concerned or shocked by the price of the E.T. Ultimate Collector's Gift Set. The article states that this will cost "nearly $70.00". Assumming this is the MSRP, this will sell for approximately $49-$53(with 25-30% discount) on-line as a pre-order. For this you get 2 versions of the movie, CD soundtrack, script and senitype film frame clip. I'll also assume it comes in an attractive box. It may even be limited/numbered. Some people(many people?)may argue that they just want the two versions of the movie and don't want to be forced to pay the higher price for the other supplemental materials. I can understand that too. If my assumptions are correct, I, for one, do not have a problem spending $50(possibly less) for a nice collector's box set of E.T.

Richard Waller

Second Unit
I refuse to pay $70 for a movie. If we can get two versions of Almost Famous and Legend, we should be able to get two version of E.T. for a decent price. I hope they change their mind before October.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
I've got the laserdisc box, so I sure as hell ain't paying $70 for the DVD (actually, even if I didn't have the box). I'll pick up the "remade" version though.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
According to this Reuters article, both the original and special edition versions of the film will be included on the $22 version. The "ultimate" version will have the script and CD and stuff.
I hope the Reuters story is the one that's correct. I don't have too much of a problem with the limited availability, but it would be kind of silly to not have both versions on the regular release.

Gruson

Second Unit
I own the limited LD Box Set too but this is one of my favorite films.

I will EASILY pay $70 for the original version (anamorphic and 5.1).

Hell, if Lucas offered the Star Wars Trilogy (originals with a new 5.1 mix) I would pay over $100 per movie.

I remember shelling out big $$$ in the LD days.

I cannot wait E.T. on LD, worth the $$$ for me.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
I think we all need to relax a bit here. I'm thinking that the $70 price tag is for a deluxe whiz-bang box set the Hollywood Reporter talks about, complete with CD soundtrack and senitype and other junk, while the 2-disc Limited edition that Reuters mentions will most likely carry a more reasonable price tag. Both of these are reported to feature the original theatrical cut from '82. I'll do some digging and see what I can confirm with my Universal rep and let y'all know as soon as I find out anything.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
From what I've read $22 will get you 1982 & 2002 versions. The $70 is for a script, a soundtrack, and other doohickeys.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
From what I've heard there will be the limited edition (SE) and Limited Ultimate Edition which is 3 discs, 1 for each cut and 1 for extras. I agree that the $70 is for the big boxset

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
My love for E.T being so strong, I may get both that ltd collectors set and the Ultimate Edition (and yes I say that as an owner of the LD box). I just pray the elements used for the original release version are in fine order and we still get a solid anamorphic transfer for that disc.
I will EASILY pay $70 for the original version (anamorphic and 5.1)
If you want 5.1 on the original, it wouldn't be the original now would it? ;)
Dan

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
If you want 5.1 on the original, it wouldn't be the original now would it?
The film was released in Dolby Stereo for 35mm showings, and I think a few 70mm showings had a full-strength surround mix.

Making a 5.1 mix (which would obviously be director-supervised) would probably be close to the 70mm mix.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I can't imagine that a $70 msrp set would be the only way to get the original. They know they have the chance here to sell an incredible amount of DVDs, but it ain't gonna happen if the $70 set is the only way to get the original. I'll purchase the high price set for myself because E.T. is my favorite movie, and numerous copies of the cheaper set to give as Christmas gifts to family.

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit
Hmmm lets see.

Even at $70 it is cheaper than many LD Box sets..... It will only be available for 10 weeks.....

I think I will buy two or even three, One for myself and the others to leave wrapped and sell on Ebay in a year or two.

I will come away with both sets and because of the limited time frame and possible long term demand for this film. The auctions alone should pay for the disks and even more.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
The article states that this will cost "nearly $70.00". Assumming this is the MSRP, this will sell for approximately $49-$53(with 25-30% discount) on-line as a pre-order.
My thoughts exactly and that's not all that bad if you get 2 cuts of the movies, extras, plus a CD of the score, plus other collectibles. If the original cut is available for cheaper, that's probably what I'll opt for, but if I have to pay $50 for the original , I've got no problems. That's about what I paid for deluxe Wizard of Oz boxset and I paid much more than that for several LD boxsets.

Stas T

Stunt Coordinator
I had not read the Reuters article when I started this thread, but it does make it seem as though the theatrical and revamped cuts will be priced the same, and the $70 box will simply be a pricier "collector's" option.
If so, the Reporter article was simply written in a misleading fashion, and we can all rest easier knowing taking home the original E.T. won't be as much of a drain on our pocketbooks (though of course, any money saved on the super-deluxe E.T. will quickly vanish thanks to the upcoming Buffy, Simpsons, and Trek box sets :) ).
Fingers crossed, still waiting for some official word...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks