What's new

*** Official "EQUILIBRIUM" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Well, I saw this one earlier today (had to drive a bit but not *too* far) and I think it's going to go in the dvd collection when it comes out. I thought it was a lot of fun. It looked very slick for its budget, was well performed (great cast!), and I loved the fight scenes. I also really like the satirical concept of the librium drug, since I've always been skeptical of the ritalin craze ;)
It's still not very original, with a lot of 1984 and other dystopian stories in it, but then again, none of those classic books had gun-kata and samurai swords in them. Oh, and the plot point involving the puppies was probably the ballsiest thing I've seen in a movie this year :) Come to think of it, what did he do with the dog after that part of the movie? I don't remember them following through on that...

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
the dog was licking his daughter's hand at the end in the apartment

oh yeah....loved the movie....more than the matrix

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'll be giving the film vaunted triple theater exposure status tomorrow (before it makes it's too-soon exit out off screens for the years Oscar wannabes). The acting is what really elevates the story. It's original enough, and it does not shy away from the crevices of the world it created. Christian Bale (how many times have I said this ;) ) really pulls a excellent, layered performance from the character.
It just really connected with me, and I think the DVD will find a home with the greater filmgoing community. It's currently my favorite film of the year, and it has gotten better with viewing and retrospect.
Glad to see some of us made it to the theaters :)
Take care,
Chuck

CoreyII

Second Unit
I had to go back a couple days on the forum but I finally found people who really appreciated this film.

I thought for a minute that I would have to open a post praising Equilibrium and then get flamed by die hard Matrix fans.

Hey Chuck Mayer,Luis S., and David Rogers, please count me in as one of the small but growing number of fans for Equilibrium. I haven't been able to stop thinking about this film and I have made it my mission to get as many people on my job as possible to go see this amazing film.

I saw this movie on Friday after missing the afternoon showing of Star Trek which I eventually caught on a Sunday. Of course after sitting through Nemesis it wasn't difficult to realize which sci-fi film was superior and it wasn't Picard and Co..

It's really sad that this film isn't playing in more theaters and with the titanic Two Towers debuting on Wednesday, it seems Equilibrium won't be around very much longer in the theaters.

But I think word of mouth is going to help this film's popularity get bigger and bigger especially when it arrives on DVD.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Corey,
That's my feeling regarding the DVD release. The people who PAY to sit through films (no offense to my paid critic friends here) seemed to like this film just fine. My third viewing was as excellent as my first two, and that's VERY, VERY rare. It's a very solid piece of entertainment, and it's a very well-structured script. Most of my pathetic analysis was done at CHUD, as there is plenty of meat here to digest. And I love the action scenes. I LOVE THEM! Glad to see another fan. You won't be the last, my friend!

Take care,
Chuck

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Had to take a few hours off work last week to catch this. Because of its low-profile, I was awfully afraid it wouldn't make it into a second week, but I'm glad to see it's still playing here. There were only about 8 other people at the showing I attended. :frowning:
I like Christian Bale, and found his unique delivery perfect for the role of Preston. As for why he isn't a "star" yet. . .he seems to be going more "mainstream" now with this and "Reign of Fire". In any case, he has a FANATICAL, FANATICAL following who call themselves "Baleheads".
When I originally read and was intrigued by a brief synopsis of this film several months ago, it didn't read like a film with strong action sequences, but something more along the lines of "Gattaca". In any case, I enjoyed it quite a bit and am glad I had the chance to see it on the big screen.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Welcome CoreyII, To the REAL world.... ;)
:D Amazing isnt it? Such a small film,with such great impact,not getting half the credit it deserves :frowning: Go forth and preach the greatness that is Equilibrium! :) This will be a true cult classic! We must make sure of it!

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
Does anyone have the email for Dimension Films?
I want to email them to find out if there will
be a canadian release or not for this film. I was
going to check their site but I can never got on there
for some reason.

-Mike

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Everyone I talked to LOVED this movie. I saw it twice now in theaters, great, powerful stuff, left me in awe both times, made me cry both times.
This guy at CHUD said it better than I would, check it out, with lots of pics:
http://www.chud.com/news/oct02/oct28equilibrium.php3
There is also a nice, thorough interview with the director, Kurt Wimmer:
http://66.118.172.75/news/dec02/dec02eq.php3
and part 2:
http://www.chud.com/news/dec02/dec03eq.php3
This movie is going straight to my top 10 of all time next to Blade Runner, The Tailor of Panama, Hurlyburly, Fifth Element, and this year's Resident Evil and Femme Fatale! :D

CoreyII

Second Unit
Hey Luis and Chuck,
I managed to get a convert. My co-worker Eddie whom I wholeheartedly recommmended "Equilibrium" to, took his friend to see it and they both loved it.

His friend was a bit skeptical about the film but Eddie told him how much I recommeneded this film and he gave it a try. Now there are two more fans of "Equilibrium".

Im glad my friend Eddie went to see the film now I have an ally on my job to help me promote "Equilibrium". There is definitely strength in numbers.

As a matter of fact I made xerox copies of the newspaper ad for the film and tapped on various employees vehicles.

"Equilibrium" definitely rivals "The Matrix" , hell I might actually be leaning towards it being better than "The Matrix". But please don't get me wrong I don't dislike "The Matrix", it is still quite an amazing film and with two more movies to go we haven't seen everything that the Wachowski Bros. universe has to offer.

CoreyII

Second Unit
Its pretty sad that a flick like "Star Trek: Nemesis" or as I like to call it "Star Trek: Nimoyless" (because Leonard or someone who knows what's going on needs to take over that franchise) gets played in more theaters than a classy picture like "Equlilibrium".

CoreyII

Second Unit
Hey Luis and Chuck,

As I feared the worse has happpened, "Equilibrium" has left the local theaters in my area. There goes my chance to see it a second time. I'll either have to wait until it comes out on video (DVD) or try and see if it is playing somewhere up in the Los Angeles/Orange County area.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
It dropped about 90% of it's theaters, effectively killing it. The rumored month of DVD is May, but who knows? Sorry to hear about a second viewing opportunity being lost, but at least you saw it on the big screen. Plenty of us won't even have that when it streets in the not-soon-enough future. LA might be a possibility ;)
Take care,
Chuck

LennyP

Supporting Actor
It's only playing in 1 theater in LA, ONCE a day at 2:40PM and 2 more theaters on the "outskirts".
It's totaly dead now. :angry:

As I don't live in the USA, I haven't seen Equilibrium yet and I am beginning to wonder if I ever will get to see it at the cinema. It is highly likely that I will not get to see it until it is on DVD. And this makes me all the more grateful for the advances in technology that make watching movies at home a pleasurable experience!

I was surprised at the lack of publicity as I have been following the progress of the film and its postponements over the last year. I was amazed that only a short time before its US release date, I still could not see the trailer on the Web (I think it only made it up about a week before release date). And even more surprised that I couldn't access the official site. The only decent news was the CHUD report that dated from the official premiere (and how many people even knew that was happening?)

Anyway, when it comes to reviews of the films, I will studiously avoid reading mainstream critics' views of this film, because I know most of them simply wouldn't get it. When it comes to serious Science Fiction, it is my humble opinion that it is only worth reading critical reviews by those who actuall *enjoy* Science Fiction films. A terrible shame really as good SF should be as much about people and characterization as any drama.

The impression I have gained is that it covers similar themes to some well known SF works, but does not copy them. It is strange that when there is a love story released, nobody comes out and says, Oh, we've seen two people fall in love before - how derivative...

I always hope that such films will be seen by people who have a mindset that tells them they "don't like Science Fiction", but at the moment, I am just grateful that there are people out there at least making films like this. It won't be perfect - nothing is. But I'm guessing I'll own the DVD this time next year.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Damn its all but disapeared around here as well! :angry: Ah well,I saw it 3 times,that SHOULD hold me over till may (probabply not! :D ) Cant wait for an official DVD announcement,cant come soon enough!
Luis S
Keep this thread alive!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Hate to bring out an oldie (but a goodie :D ).
Some TENTATIVE release dates for countries other than my own...
The UK - Late March
Canada - April 25
Australia - Late May
I hold out hope for a May R1 DVD release. Time will tell.
If you get a chance, check it out.
Take care,
Chuck

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Chuck you can do no wrong be reviving this thread!:D Spread the word! If you havent seen Equilibrium do so immediately! An excellent fil that few had a chance to see!
Luis S

Robin Warren

Second Unit
April 25. Woo.
By my reckoning, it will be on DVD shortly after that. Not a bad thing.
Trailer is up on the net in Quicktime for those who have not checked it out.
Trailer is here.
That trailer is amazing. I cannot wait to see this and hope it plays locally but am willing to travel to Toronto to see it. The white suit reminds me of Tom Hanks in Philadelphia....only tougher :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks