What's new

*** Official ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
OK, after seeing the 5 minute trailer I was so psyched to see this movie. I've already heard mixed reviews and even Ebert's review had me a little worried. Having said all that, I have to agree with most critics that it's not what I was hoping for. It's not as great as the first movie yet it's still pretty good. I believe the biggest mistake was spending too much time on Sir Walter's Raleigh's "relationship" with Queen Elizabeth. Especially since the filmmakers took great dramatic liberty to it. They should have spent more time with Mary Stuart plotting to assassinate the Queen which, once it got around to it, the movie really took off. At this point I started to enjoy the film more. From that point on, the movie started to resemble more of what made the first film so enjoyable to watch. Another thing that may bother some are the political overtones that seem to reflect what's currently going on in the world. I won't get into that though. I do, however, commend Cate Blanchett for such a powerful performance as the Queen. All the supporting characters were excellent and a joy to watch, especially Geoffrey Rush. The costumes are great and the music may be overbearing at times but still a pretty good score to listen to. Overall, I was entertained.

*** / *****

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Elizabeth: The Golden Age". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I will have to add to the chorus of folks being a bit disappointed in this followup to Elizabeth.

I think director Kapur goes a little overboard with the directorial flourishes, with the ornate camera moves and production design, seemingly to do so to captivate with flashiness, while the screenplay that doesn't provide enough substance for unfolding of "the golden age", Elizabeth's biggest challenge to her rule. Elizabeth's dalliance with Raleigh stumbles after a promising start, and just sputters unconvincingly, which undermines the momentum of the film. The last act was confusing to me in terms of depicting the strategy of the sea conflict, and I was scratching my head at the scene depicting Elizabeth's rallying of the troops, just seemed out of place or odd in terms of presentation in the film.

Blanchette's acting is in fine form, she definitely embodies the spirit and presence of Queen Elizabeth, but is let down by the screenplay which is awkward and not entirely engrossing. Geoffrey Rush and Clive Owen do good work with what they had to work with (screenplay), and Abbie Cornish's acting did not detract from the film.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
A bizarre film. Some of it works but most of it doesn't. For me, it played like a TV Mini-Series or something. I loved the original though. For a film like this one, one has to buy into the characters or feel some connection. I felt nothing. :frowning: The ending action scenes felt out of place and fake and feels tacked on. It's like they couldn't decide which way to go...

Had high hopes but very disappointed.

A generous 6/10.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks