***Official "EIGHT LEGGED FREAKS" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I've been looking forward to this one since back when it was still called Arac Attack. (The similarities between "Arac" and "Iraq" were what forced the name change.)
    The Eight Legged Freaks trailer was a joyous hoot, and now the official site is open. There's all kinds of goodies in there for people who love watching giant spiders eat people.
    This release date was just moved up from August 30th to July 19th, so that may be a good sign. (Or it just may be due to a less-competitive slot opening up...) The movie is written and directed by two newcomers, and the cast includes David Arquette, Kari Wuhrer, Scarlett Johansson and Doug E. Doug.
    Basically, this one looks like Arachnophobia, only with much larger spiders and much more action.
    Can't wait. [​IMG]
    Check out the spidery goodness here:
    www.spiderfreaks.com
    (If you visit the site, don't forget to squash the arachnids that will soon be crawling all over your desktop!)

2. Brian Kissinger

Brian Kissinger Screenwriter

Thanks for the link and info Scott. I'm not big on David Arquette, but this looks like a hella fun movie. Can't wait to see it.

3. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

That's a great site! I am looking very forward to this movie... I have intense, extreme arachnophobia but I have largely dealt with it by making the fear of spiders into something humerous.
    Reminds me of a cross between 'Tremors' and 'Arachnophobia,' very tongue-in-cheek. The trailer looks fantastic... I especially like the giant spider crawling in the cupboard, and the spiders jumping out of the sky to knock the riders off their motorbikes. [​IMG]
    Joseph

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    quote...

"Reminds me of a cross between 'Tremors' and 'Arachnophobia'"

One can only hope! I love both of those films, and if they can come up with a movie along the same vein, it should be a blast!

Besides, the whole plot just interests me in general, it's been a loooong while since we've had a giant spider fright fest, and with todays visual effects, oh boy...

5. derek

derek Second Unit

Anyone know of the possible MPAA rating they are shooting for?

6. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    I had never heard of this until I saw the trailer playing on the TV above the concession stand in my local Cinemark this weekend. The trailer is a hoot, and yes, I got a strong Tremors vibe off of it, which is definitely a good thing. [​IMG]
    I for one think it's about time for a giant spider movie, and am looking forward to it!! [​IMG]

7. Scott Weinberg

Derek -
    The film is already rated PG-13 - for "sci-fi violence, brief sexuality and language".
    Considering Kari Wuhrer is in the cast, I now loathe the word "brief".

8. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

This looks cool! The trailer is great and creepy! [​IMG]

9. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Yep, I'm looking forward to this. The trailer just screamed "Tremors". [​IMG]

10. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

11. Mike Hutman

Mike Hutman Supporting Actor

My friend was telling me about this movie. I love those old giant man-eating bug movies. Do not know to much about it, but i'll go see it

12. Scott Weinberg

While everyone's salivating over that Matthew McConaughey futuristic dragon flick, I'll claim this one as my Mindless Summer Snack. [​IMG] (OK, they both look cool!)
    There's a new trailer available online here:
    http://www.movie-list.com/e/eightleggedfreaks.shtml
    Make sure you choose "trailer" and not "teaser" if you want to see the new one.
    Also, the official site ( www.eightleggedfreaks.com ) has enacted their gory looking shooter game, although I haven't been able to get it to work. (Someone drop me a line when they get the game rolling?)
    This one looks like a whole barrel of nasty fun. The new trailer is a hoot!
    Enjoy!

13. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

Yes, I REALLY hate spiders! Thanks for the link Scott. Great trailer!

I have arachnophobia too, and didn't see that particular movie until years later, and then on a 5" portable TV, so the spiders were really reaally reaaaaally tiny. I don't think I'm going to be able to handle this one in the theater, but it does look like a barrell of fun.

I will see the dragon movie in the theater though. There are no real dragons.......um......right?

Vickie

(I know, they don't like me either!)

14. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Now this is good, cheesy fun. And this is an example of cheesy fun that I prefer. For example, Jason X is not the kind of cheesy fun I want. But this, not being a sequel and bringing back the memories of those old creature features is right up my alley.

15. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I hate spiders (and living in Arizona, where this movie takes place, that's not a good thing), but I love movies about them... I'll be there opening weekend. [​IMG]
    /Mike

16. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

17. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I like tarantulas.
    I'm not afraid of spiders even though I had an interesting little episode with a very poisonous one in Africa. Picture me with full leg cast on one leg (long story) in back of Land Cruiser bumping through brush. All sorts of bugs and stuff get on you during this sort of traveling. Anyway, I saw the prettiest furry spider waddling towards my bare big toe which stuck out of the cast.
    I was seconds away from reaching out to touch the thing(*) when my guide saw it and started to have hysterics. (All the time he kept saying there was nothing wrong - yeah, and I was born yesterday.) Anyway, the spider than almost crawled onto my toe was a "violin spider". I think the violin spiders over there are a very different species than what I would call a violin spider. However, I would no doubt have lost at least the toe had it bit me.
    It was still very pretty though.
    (*) I'd been picking bugs off me and tossing them aside all day, so I'm really not as crazy as I sound.
    But yeah, I am so excited about this movie [​IMG]

18. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Julie, your description of the spider incident, and how you sat in the truck, reminds me of the beginning of "Braindead". [​IMG]
    Oh, and Vickie, I'm not very brave, I don't have a spider phobia, I just hate them and can't stand them. I've only been close to tarantulas twice, and both times I've let other people chase them away (man, they look creepy).
    I'm fine with the tiny ones actually (at least they eat the other bugs), it's the big hairy ones I can't stand.
    I loved the movie "Arachnophobia", and the only thing I didn't like about it was that the spiders weren't hair enough... seems like "Eight legged freaks" will take care of that. [​IMG]

19. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

20. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Wouldn't it be great for some movie theaters to display/hand out promotional gimmicks before (and during hehe) Eight Legged Freaks, to hearken back to the days of schlocky horror promotions? I can see it now.. some fishing line, some plastic spiders, and some wind-up spiders along the theater floor, barely discernable in the dark.
    As a first rate arachnophobe whose fear of spiders has not lessened, but been tempered with a good sense of humor about the whole thing, I am really looking forward to this flick. It's not often I get a chance to sit through a horror film where I'm actually squirming in my seat.
    Julie, that story vaguely reminds me of the opening scenes of Dead Alive... "Singaya!!" Glad it didn't turn out that way though. [​IMG]
    Joseph
    -------------------------
    "Do you think Shelob is a good name for a monstrous spider creature? It is of course only 'she + lob' = 'spider,' but written as one, it seems to be quite noisome..." --J.R.R. Tolkien