What's new

*** Official "E.T.: THE EXTRA TERRESTRIAL Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial. Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial should be posted to this thread.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

PeteD

Stunt Coordinator
I caught a sneak preview last night...

I saw this on Laserdisc a few months back and marveled how well it held up to todays special effects.

I couldn't see why it needed stuff added or changed especially the gun removal. I've heard Mr. Spielberg wanted the guns removed because he couldn't rationalize why these goverment agents would be pointing guns at kids. How about the kids are with a FRICKEN ALIEN!!!!

Anyways, I saw it last night and while I am militantly against revisionist cinema this wasn't that bad.

The tub scene is genuinly funny.

My only complaint is that they reveal E.T.'s appearance WAY too early (about a minute and a half in) through computer animation. It completely destroys the tension of the unseen "thing" in the woods.

Just how I felt about it.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Why does the gun removal bother you so much? Its my understanding that that change is minor comapred to the other changes in the film. Personally I don't care if they are holding guns, walkie-talkies or bags of popcorn. I agree that all of the changes are probably not needed (haven't seen the new version yet) and I'll be getting the original verison when the DVDs come out.

PeteD

Stunt Coordinator
Curious, will the original ever be available on DVD? For some reason I doubt it.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I've heard Mr. Spielberg wanted the guns removed because he couldn't rationalize why these goverment agents would be pointing guns at kids.
To Spielberg. For the same shameful reason that they used heavy swat team with heavy guns to retrieve that boy (you know who) from a house with normal people. Normal people means that they lived there. It was not like a hostage situation with armed terrorists. That’s why!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It's more than just a word, both versions of the film WILL be available on dvd in a few months, and both will be available in the same package together. This is from Spielbergs own two lips.

I am eagerly awaiting the chance to catch my beloved 'E.T.' in theaters again! I have seen quite a few of the changes, and most are so minor it's not worth making a fuss about, and the ones that are more prominant are improvments IMO. I like the way he's making his face more expressive, I also love the way he cleaned up the look of his ship. One of the more impressive improvments to me, is 'E.T.' running away from the agents through the woods in the beginning of the film, much better than the 'bodiless traveling red light' we had in the 82 cut, it simply looked too fake, even for me.

I simply don't understand why we need to complain about this, this new version is momentary for those that don't like it, you'll get your 82 cut in a few months when the dvd is released. Plus, i'm sure a lot of you have the LD right now, so why complain about this new version when you have the one you want right now in your collection?

PeteD

Stunt Coordinator
Wait, so you're saying that an Alien (who's probably a Jedi, but that's another thread :laugh: ), who can telepathically link himself to a human being, can manipulate large objects with his mind and can rise from the dead shouldn't be approached and handled with at least the forsight of a shotgun?!??!?!?!
You even see/read War Of The Worlds?
If anything Star Trek has taught me is never trust an Alien. Be friendly yes, but always carry a big stick.
It's not about hostages, it's about an Alien running amok!
Sure, he could be benign, but I'd still be packing heat if I were them.
Before this turns ugly and horribly off topic, for the record I'm just kidding here.. I actually meant to say I liked it, with minor exception.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I agree on the proposed end of Cinematic revisionism. From now on all films must be shown in theatres on large screens using silver-based film. Everything else from Digital projection to home video viewiing is not how the film was meant to be seen. How's that? :)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Going out on a limb here, I would say that a lot of Hollywood product from the early days right through the 60s could be improved by throwing out the old music and putting in a new score, or even no score.
:eek:
I hope you're joking, right? (Considering that many of these filmmakers are no longer alive to ok these changes)
As for E.T. the original version will soon be availible on DVD, so it's a moot point.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
We've all seen E.T. the original way.
I'm not sure what makes you think that, but it's certainly not true. I've never seen E.T. and I'm REALLY looking forward to it, but I'm torn — do I catch it on the big screen and deal with Speilberg's tinkering? Or do I wait for the proper version to be released on DVD, missing the theatrical experience altogether? I shouldn't have to make such a choice.

PeteD

Stunt Coordinator
Take this oportunity and see it on the big screen.. There is nothing really earth shatteringly different.

Not that I noticed anyway.

Odd thing though, the print I saw looked a little rough.. Lots of dirt in the reel changes.

Ah well... See it.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Carl, wow, i'm surprised to read you've never seen this film! I'm actually excited for you! Can't wait to read what you thought of it.
DavidF, man, you really shouldn't have gone and said that, not here, your gonna get flamed to the ground. ;)
Just go easy on him guys, he's new, besides it's just an opinion.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Like John said: Carl, I envy you.. You're in for the time of your life with E.T. Still one of the reasons I even keep a VHS player.

Did I miss Star Wars on the big screen just because of a few changes? (that were pretty poor form on behalf of Lucas) Of course not! E.T is Spielberg's masterpiece. And should lose *none* of it's potency.

Edit: I'd better say that all of the opinions expressed above are purely that, opinions.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Off topic but John Barry's Oscar winning score for Dances With Wolves is one of the best scores I have ever heard and one of my favorites.
I cannot fathom watching the film without it. It enhances that great film as much as the acting, cinematography, and story does.
Advocating or even suggesting changes to any classic film is a risky, perhaps even dangerous, proposal around here.:eek:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Cinematic revisionism must end here and now. Thank you.
How about let cinema remain an art? Would you tell Vincent Van Gogh to leave his paintings alone instead of painting over them?

If director's can't tweak their films into better forms, we're being selfish.

Keep in mind that in 1982, many of the effects were clumsy and could not be used to their full potential.

I'm all for having the original version around for archival and historical purposes, but as soon as you deny a director creative freedom, you're obstructing the full potential of a film. After all, I doubt there's one person here that would prefer the older cut of Lawrence of Arabia over the reconstructed version made in 1989.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I agree on the proposed end of Cinematic revisionism. From now on all films must be shown in theatres on large screens using silver-based film. Everything else from Digital projection to home video viewiing is not how the film was meant to be seen. How's that?
Sounds like a good idea to me, I agree 100% ;) .

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I hope that ET does well.. perhaps it would show Warner Bros that family movie re-releases is a good thing.. then they could re-release Superman: The Movie the proper way, then just a sneak preview in Texas.

JACOB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks