What's new

*** Official E.T. Discussion Thread *2 Disk Set Includes Original Version of the Film! (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
To clarify, I didn't take Aaryn's comment to wonder if the transfer would be different on the 3 disc meaning alternate source elements making for a totally different transfer (there's indeed, no sense to it). I took it as a question as to the image quality possibly being superior given that both versions of the film have room to breathe on their own seperate discs, most notably the 1982 cut.
The first 2 Jurassic Park movies that were packaged with extra stuff (2 Soundtrack CDs, Senitype, and Certificate of Authenticity) had the same exact discs that you could get without the set, why wouldn't they do that again?
Why not indeed... :frowning: That said, they promote this as an Ultimate Edition Collector's Gift Set, and we just don't have any damn idea what the hell they mean by that anymore. If that's all they now choose to let the gift set stand for then they are still guilty of blatant false advertising in respect to promoting this set as something that carries exclusive content as significant as the 1982 edition of the movie. Even if they now wish to deem it a standard gift set affair, why 3 discs instead of 2? That's not incentive enough to appeal to the buyer who really doesnt know or care about possible bitrates and issues of compression.
We're lucky to be online with the HTF and have people like David bringing this to our attention. Think about others out there who wont hear this news in time, or those without net access or those who don't surf for dvd news on a regular basis...
Dan

PeterB

Agent
Hey there

Since this is the Canadian release of the film, is it possible the US Region 1 version will not include the 1982 version of the film? Of course I hope that is not the case!

Anyway, we're getting a US copy early this week even though Universal is not providing screeners to Internet reviewers only (print and TV outlets will, however) and I will be greatly curious to check it out and also try and get some sort from Universal on just what is up. Given the back packaging on this Canadian version that is not accurate, it sounds pretty damn fishy and deceptive, doesn't it!?

: (

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Sweet Jesus Mary and Joseph. You may just be right. FULL-FRAME... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Doubt it Peter, I remember someone who got a America verison said it had the 1982 (my lucky year ^^) verison on it. By the way, did you read the thread in the coupon forum for the Spider Man deal, it would be a cheap way to get it if Sony doesn't send you Spidy.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
If it's the full screen version I will be physicaly sick all over my copy of the gift set, I really will.

Since this is the Canadian release of the film, is it possible the US Region 1 version will not include the 1982 version of the film? Of course I hope that is not the case!
That's a concern certainly, Peter, but I think someone posted in our original lengthy discussion thread (see Ron's thread on BTTF and ET screeners) on this and confirmed that the US version carries the 1982 cut as well.

Dan

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Doubt it Peter, I remember someone who got a America verison said it had the 1982 (my lucky year ^^) verison on it. By the way, did you read the thread in the coupon forum for the Spider Man deal, it would be a cheap way to get it if Sony doesn't send you Spidy.
I'm too lazy to search. Recap, Ken about the coupon?

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Cute. I guess I'm screwed until they special edition The Secret Island of Dr. Moreau or come out with a box set of Adam-12... off topic... I know, but I couldn't resist.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
There is so much confusion around this release I just cancelled my preorder for the gift box set. I'll wait till after release day to find out from everyone who preordered it, then I'll decide which one to buy.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Outstanding. I'd decided to skip this disc as I have the laserdisc box version. Now, I'll be checking out the deals for the two-disc set, like everyone else.

Reviewing the old press releases, Vivendi never did say that the original version was "exclusively" available in the Ultimate package. We just weren't smart enough to figure that any studio would release a major title with no announcement and no packaging. (Has anyone checked "Phantom Menace?" The original "Star Wars" may be on the bonus disc.)

The only reason I can imagine for this "marketing" ploy is that Vivendi knows the box (with its super-inflated profit margin) will die on the shelf if hardcore film fans know the O.V. is available on the standard issue disc. Imagine the surprised buyers who, knowing nothing of this, stumble across the O.V. months after their purchase.

Rich P

Stunt Coordinator
Looking at the pictures David posted, I noticed one thing that gave me a bit of a concern. David has the Canadian 2-disc version (as evidenced by David's location and the bilingual cover).
Could it be that just the Canadian version contains the theatrical feature on Disc 2? Have we had confirmation that the US version is the same?
This won't be the first time that Canadian and US versions have differences. (Brotherhood of the Wolf, Harry Potter and the Philospher's/Sorcerer's Stone).
While ordering the Canadian version isn't a problem, I want to make sure I order the right 2-disc set to get the original feature.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
The first 2 Jurassic Park movies that were packaged with extra stuff (2 Soundtrack CDs, Senitype, and Certificate of Authenticity) had the same exact discs that you could get without the set, why wouldn't they do that again?
Because they HAVEN'T done that again.

If we were talking about 2 different 2 DISC sets that would be one thing, but we are talking about a 2 disc set and a 3 disc set that, at this point, contain the exact same content.

Now, who here thinks Universal would just spread out the Gift Box version to 3 discs when they could fit it on 2?

Who here can think of previous Universal focus on removal of items, adding disc, etc to INCREASE BITRATE?

So this brings you back to this simple question - seeing as how, apparently, all the 3 disc content fits just as well on 2 discs, WHY would Universal create a 3rd disc for the Gift Set.

In fact the question I quoted tells you that Universal WOULDN'T do such a thing (based on history) because they didn't for Jurassic Park.

This leaves you with one of 2 possiblities (that simply MUST be true).

1) Universal cranked up the COMPRESSION to fit the 82 release onto the 2 disc set.

2) The 3 disc set contains more content.

Because if you don't believe either of those, then you must believe that "for no particular reason" Universal stretched the same content to a 3rd disc.

You don't waste space like that, and you don't get space for free either. If you COULDN'T fit all the 3 disc content onto 2 in the first place, how can you do so now (without some cost)? And if you COULD fit all the 3 disc onto 2 without losing something, you would have. You could then charge less (take out the cost of the 3rd disc) and still make the same profit.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
The only reason I can imagine for this "marketing" ploy is that Vivendi knows the box
Which as I mentioned before would result in a lawsuit. Intentionally misleading advertising is also grounds for suit (unless a lawyer practicing in this field can explain how it no longer is). My understanding would be that it would have to be shown that the press release was highly misleading and that it specifically resulted in increased sales. I think both points could be proven in this case.

I can't sell you a new car that doesn't run if you just never ask if it does (or windshield wipers that don't work, etc).

Look, companies have people who's job is to do nothing BUT release these press announcements. They know what they have and don't have and how to properly list things. It's not just a case of "there is so much to keep track of we just can't do it" or something. This was most likely changed since then, or perhaps is just a very low marketing practice bordering on a legal issue. We can believe that option since Universal might now also be in trouble for planting fake fan reaction sales pitches on web sites.

Just think of the kid who the gov't came down on last year because he had been going to web sites and hyping up stock that he himself owned and wanted the price to rise on. A certain amount of disclosure is still required, not just "hey you didn't ask me about it".

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Minorty reports is from fox/dreamworks.. not universal.
I should have realized that, even though more than one online store says it's a Universal DVD. (Amazon, DVD Empire, Digital Eyes, Pricegrabber, all say Universal.)

Nevertheless, Minority Report is a Spielberg movie.

It's possible that Spielberg himself is responsible for Universal including the 1982 cut in the 2 disc set, not letting Universal make a liar out of him after he said that both versions would be on the DVD, without qualification. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt by not cancelling E.T. altogether, and by not cancelling my BTTF preorder. And like I said, I hadn't already ordered Minority Report. I'm just less likely to do so now.

A simple press release could have been issued MONTHS ago by either Spielberg or Universal and this thread wouldn't exist.

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
Awesome news. I had no intention of getting either E.T. version because the 2 discer didn't have the original cut and the 3 disc edition was too pricy imo.
I ordered my copy just minutes ago.
Once again the HTF prooved why it's my favorite site.
Thanks, David.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
I can't sell you a new car that doesn't run if you just never ask if it does (or windshield wipers that don't work, etc).
It's not the same. While I am not versed in civil fraud, there is no true fraud here. Vivendi has told customers that the O.V. is available in the Ultimate set. That is true.
The deception, such as it is, is that Universal has not told customers that the O.V. is also available in the regular release. Extra material cannot be the basis of a fraud suit. "I got more than I paid for. I want my money back" has never been the rallying cry of outraged consumers. Otherwise, easter eggs (and you could think of the O.V. as a great big one) would be some sort of fraud.
Vivendi would be committing fraud if they had advertised that the only way to obtain the O.V. was by purchasing the Ultimate version. While we have assumed that the O.V. was exclusively available on the Ultimate version, I don't think Vivendi made that claim. If they did, sue away. (Of course all specifications are subject to modification without notice, etc., and probably will not be the basis for a suit even then.)
DVD File has the story posted now. I'm interested in Vivendi's reactions as this story develops.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks