What's new

*** Official E.T. Discussion Thread *2 Disk Set Includes Original Version of the Film! (2 Viewers)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
It took quite some time for Universal to email me back, but they did. I think it took close to a month.

Thomas, I had contacted Universal by email and received a copy of the 2002 version in December. I was just going to let it be, but when Thomas had posted that he had contacted them after he received the wrong disc, I also did the same. I never did get a response to that email, but when I got home tonight there was a notice from UPS for a package that was shipped from Universal. I won't be able to pick it up until Monday, so I'll post what I end up receiving then.

BruceLongee

Agent
Kevin, did you end up receiving your replacement DVD? I emailed Universal a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet...

Man, I can't believe I forgot to post what I received!:b I guess I stated Monday, but didn't specify WHICH Monday.:D
The disc that Universal sent me the second time was the second disc from the 2-disc set, with the '82 version and DTS. I never did get a reply to my email stating that the wrong disc was shipped to me the first time, so I wasn't really expecting to see this replacement (It took about 6 weeks from the time I sent the email to the time I received the disc).
Hope this helps, Bruce.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Yea I ended up receiving my copy about 2 weeks ago. Somebody started another thread about it and I posted it there. I know have a copy of the 2 disc set: both the 2002 and the 82 w/ DTS version.

BruceLongee

Agent
I just got my response from Universal on the 13th, asking me to fax a copy of my receipt. They say I should get the new disc in 4 to 6 weeks.

Dan Hinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Hinson
I faxed my receipt to Universal just last week.

Can anyone tell me, how do the contents (special features, etc.) of this “replacement” DVD compare to the one that comes with the gift set.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Sorry to bring back this dead topic, but I am a UGS owner that took advantage of the DTS replacement that Universal offered, and it arrived via UPS today. Is there any custom cover art available for JUST disc 2 of the standard 2-disc set, which is what they sent?

Also, can anyone answer Dan's question from February:
Can anyone tell me, how do the contents (special features, etc.) of this “replacement” DVD compare to the one that comes with the gift set.

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
Nathan, I'm not sure if there is custom art for what you're looking for, but try: www.dvdcoversrt.com
Use the search engine there and you may find what you're looking for. It's a great site!
-Mike

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Just noticed this today ...... Technically-speaking, we actually get THREE different versions of E.T. on the DVDs: The 1982 version, the 2002 version, and the 2002 version with the March 16, 2002 "Live" John Williams-conducted musical score. (With the latter version also including, due to the open microphones @ The Shrine Auditorium, the audience reactions to the film they are viewing.)

Quite an interesting Triple Feature on the 2-Disc DVD.

Rick Samundsen

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking for this thread a couple of days ago. I recieved my copy of ET(original) from UNIVERSAL on tuesday. I haven't played it but I hope it includes DTS sound since it doesn't say on the disc.

Rick

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I own the UGS and received my copy of the original E.T. with DTS a few days ago. I took almost 9 weeks from the time I faxed my receipt and the disc was sent UPS in a unmarked keepcase inside a larger box. I thought the package contained my corrected BTTF discs and was pleasantly surprised to see what was actually inside(I did receive my BTTF discs the following day from Universal). I got a little nervous when I saw no DTS logo on the disk artwork. When I played it, I was happy to see the DTS option on the menu and it was indeed the original version of the film. Thanks goes to Universal Studios for making their customers happy :emoji_thumbsup:

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
I have the "2-disc Limited Collector's Edition" of E.T. I finally got a bigger room, and put up my 6th and 7th speakers. I was reading the
DD EX and DTS ES thread to check which of my discs contained surround back encoding.
My processor tells me I'm getting DTS 6.1 ES and/or Dolby EX with Gladiator, Finding Nemo, Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean and Master and Commander . So I'm sure the the DVD player and my processor are working fine.
With the E.T. discs it says Dolby Digital and DTS. I couldn't find out why in either the aforementioned ES/EX thread or the huge official E.T. thread. Is this an improperly flagged disc, or do I have a bad set? The paper cover for the discs says Dolby 5.1 EX and DTS 5.1 ES for the 2002 version on disc 1, but the information about disc 2 is obviously incorrect.

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan I appreciate your concern for my mental health, and yes I realize that I could manually switch my processor to Dolby EX or DTS-ES. But the question remains, is the "2-disc Limited Collector's Edition" of E.T. properly flagged for the Dolby EX and DTS-ES matrix formats?

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
It's EX/ES encoded, but not flagged for it. Hence, you have to manually engage your surround back speaker on your receiver.
This is quite common with older 5.1 EX and 5.1 ES titles. Even Star Wars Eps. 1 and 2 require you to manually engage the rear surround channel.
I think that may be the case with the T2 Ultimate Edition DVD as well.
Just be glad they put the info on the box, and didn't pull a Star Trek VI. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks