What's new

Dreamcatcher (2003) (1 Viewer)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone else catch this:So Duddits gives them special power because he knows that Mr. Gray is going to try to spread the infection later on. However, Duddits also leads Jonesie into traffic to kill him and leave a dead shell (if I understand the poor dialog trying to convey that point). And it was explained that was the reason that Mr. Gray could exist as long as he did as a hitchhiker was that Jonesie was already dead. So Duddits intentionally created the threat to the human race and he gave them the method of battling them?

Did I miss something?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I revised my thoughts and impressions from the movie and posted my review in the review thread.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...27#post1433427

interesting hole I hadn't spotted Alex, I think the idea was that Jonesie wouldn't have been able to survive the hitchhiker had he not died, not the other way around. so Duds didn't create the threat, but provided a way for his friend to survive it.

Adam

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I hadn't heard the dialog correctly, but didn't Freeman or Sizemore mention that they couldn't survive as a hitchhiker normally? I guess I crossed those wires and though that was why the hitchhiker chose Jonesie.

Chuck West

Stunt Coordinator
While there were a few plot holes, I enjoyed the movie.
I have a question for those of you who read the book:
In the book, how does it end?

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
In the book, how does it end?
Well, Duddits isn't an alien for one thing. That little tidbit right there is enough for me to know I'm not going to bother seeing this in theaters. That's the typical kind of stupid-ass change that Hollywood studios just can't resist making.

Funny, I enjoyed the book when I read it, though it's not King's best work by any stretch. But when I first heard they were making a movie of this, I remember thinking that it would never work, neither the gore, the narrative style, or the pacing would work as a film. I think I'll just rent this one on DVD to satisfy my curiousity.

Jeff*Gray

Grip
I have to say that this was one of the worst adaptations from page to screen ever. I read the book and thoroughly enjoyed it, and that's why I couldn't believe that king would let them butcher this thing up as bad as they did. For a normal person watching it there were more holes than swiss cheese, had I not read the book I would've left the theater asking about a billion questions. Thank you hollywood for taking a perfectly good idea and turning it to crap.:thumbsdown:

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Was this movie supposed to be serious? What a joke. I enjoyed the first 40 minutes of it but it then got pretty silly.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
And I really didn't get lost in it, nor did I have a lot of questions. The only question I kept asking myself was, "Why did I waste $14 and over 2hrs of my time to go see this crappy movie?" Please don't go see this at the theatre, I wouldn't even suggest it as a rental.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
The first half hour was just about the only salvagable footage from this film. The rest lacked substance and sense.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
I've got to agree with Steve, I liked it up until we see the alien. The film started off fairly intriguing. Sick guy comes into cabin. Animals running for their lives. Car crash leaving two stranded. I thought we might get another nice riff of The Thing out of the film. The scene with Jason Lee on the toliet was the best thing in the film. After that, it just got stupid. Seeing the alien that early, was a major mistake. Bringing in the the Army and Morgan Freeman, in his career worst performance, dragged the film down terribly.

But even after that, I was still enjoying it on a certain cheese level. Than that end. :rolleyes:What the hell was up with Freeman's character trying to kill Sizemore?! I realize that he was crazy. But wasn't his main intent still on stopping the aliens? Than that stupid worm going for the kill instead of the water-way. Wasn't that the whole purpose? Who cares about that one guy with a machine gun, go infect the world. The topper was Duds being an alien. STUPID!!!

They completely ruined a decent set-up.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I may have had my hopes up too high for this film, and as such, I was disappointed. But, when you have William Goldman and Lawrence Kasdan adapting a Stephen King novel, with Kasdan directing, and Morgan Freeman leading an impressive-sounding cast, don't you have a right to have your hopes up?

That said, I enjoyed parts of it; I liked the "library concept" of Jonesy's brain. And the phone call on the gun was funny. But the movie was very scattershot, obviously condensed, with a lot of stuff shoehorned in, and more than a little incoherent. I didn't have any trouble following it, but the whole thing was very unbalanced.

Also, I couldn't help cringing when Jason Lee started sticking his finger in the peanut butter. *shudders* Need I remind everyone where that finger's been?

At any rate, an extremely disappointing movie, considering the talent involved.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the book and the up to the possession of Jonesy by Mr. Gray, the movie was doing fine, keeping my interest. But unfortunately, I have to agree that it went downhill from there. Damn it, I wanted this movie to be good!!!

In the book they go into much more depth and you can see why the Morgan Freemore character wanted to kill Owen (Sizemore). But I guess there's not much time to "waste" in the movie developing the characters and that's why it seems out of place that the General reacted that way. Talking about the general, he didn't seem crazy enough in the movie. He actually came off like a normal guy instead of a bad guy like in the book.

In the book for those of you who want to know what happened to the people in the camp, Henry tells them about the plan that the general has to kill them and starts a revolt. I can't remember much now but I think they start a fire and try to take over the army, some of them getting killed in the process but succeding in the end. That's the diversion that Owen uses in order to break Henry out of the camp.

And making Duddits an alien...God, shoot me now!!!!! WHAT THE F@#$# WAS UP WITH THAT??? When I heard Donnie Whalberg go "I Duddits!", I thought I was going to vomit!

So sad. It had a lot of potential. Unlike some of you, I thought the book was pretty good. The material was there. Poor execution though.

Tim Abbott

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim
I'm curious also as to how the book ends.....and also who/what exactly duddits was.

Not knowing anything about the movie/book heading in, I somewhat enjoyed the film. It was a bit scattered and forced in some situations, but its difficult to turn that large of a book into a 2 hour movie.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
A couple more questions for those who have read the book:

Why is it stupid that Duddits is an alien (other than being a change from the book)? How is that any more stupid than Duddits being a magical retarded kid who can see the future?

What is the significance of the dreamcatcher? I expected the title object to have some relevance to the plot.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
While Duddits being a "magical retarded kid who can see the future" is possibly just as stupid as him being an alien, it seems that the alien scenerio is a little more contrived.

In any event, I'm going to read the book now. I had many problems with the film, but I'll give the book a shot.

David Ren

Stunt Coordinator
If Duddits was an alien, how did he have a mother (assuming the mother was not an alien too)?

David Ren

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks