*** Official "DREAMCATCHER" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mark Pfeiffer, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I'm still mulling over this one, but my initial impression is that Dreamcatcher is a mess. I wasn't bored with it, but it doesn't all come together. I haven't read King's book but the more scatalogical elements (in dialogue, in the plot) remain intact. I admire Kasdan as a director, but my lingering feeling is that he may not have been the right guy for the job. I found it disappointing, but like I said, I'm still reflecting on it.

FWIW, Final Flight of the Osiris from The Animatrix played after the film. Pretty stunning. The CGI animation is fantastic.

Oh, and the new T3 trailer should be attached to prints too.

2. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

3. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    From the Variety review:

"This overlong and unwieldy grab-bag of vintage monster-movie elements starts intriguingly as a snowbound deep-woods chiller, but gradually dissolves into a mess of other-worldly invasion and military counter-offensive."

That sums up exactly what I thought of the book. I liked the beginning, but lost interest about half-way through. Sounds like the movie is faithful. [​IMG]

5. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Watched the sneak preview last night.....HORRIBLE flick. It's overlong and the transition from past and present scenes are just poorly done. Morgan Freeman chews a lot of scenery here as he basically plays a walking, talking cliche. I never thought I would see a bad performance from him.....boy was I ever wrong. The schock scenes were pretty good, but they were few and far between. It was about 2 hours and 15 minutes (yeah...I kept track) of muddled plot trying to be several different films at once but ending up as one complete mess. Avoid this one like the plague. Glad I didn't purchase a ticket for this...but I want my evening back.[​IMG] [​IMG]

By the way, I've never read the book, but If it is a good novel, you wouldn't know it by watching this crap.

I'll give it a 2 out of 10...the 2 for the decent special effects sequences...zero for everything else.

Did I mention that this film blows? [​IMG]

6. David Forbes

David Forbes Supporting Actor

The book absolutely sucked. It's one of King's worst. I never understood the love for the book, and even with the talent involved in the movie I couldn't see how it wouldn't be a disaster unless they basically rewrote the thing from start to finish.

From what I've heard, they kept all the bad and stupid stuff in and rewrote the end to make that even more awful.

For those who read the book and don't care to be spoiled about the end of the movie, read below:

DUDDITS IS A FREAKIN' ALIEN!

7. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

I thought the first half of the movie was really good. But once they step outside, the screenplay just turns into a convoluted mess. There's too much going on for a two-hour movie. It should have been a miniseries.

Mark

8. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

10. David Forbes

David Forbes Supporting Actor

A miniseries of this book would just prolong the pain. It was a terrible, terrible read. And I am usually a King fan.

11. Eric Emma

Eric Emma Supporting Actor

It jumped from 10% to 22% on the scale!

12. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

So it went from horrible to crappy?

13. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Thats too bad about this. I have been looking forward to this movie for a very long time. Oh well, I'll still check it out tomorrow night.

14. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

15. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Well. I'll give the first half of the movie a solid score.

I was intrigued to find out what's going on. When the animals were running was cool also. Right up until...you see the alien come out of the toilet, then you see the large alien

It was suspenseful, up until this point. It would have been like Jaws just coming out and showing the shark in the first 10 minutes of the movie. By the end you would be like "yeh I've seen the shark 100 times already".

That whole scene with the toilet man was pretty great, suspensefull, and tense. Then it just lays all the cards on the table. After that there is no suspense, no tense feeling, just aliens crawling everywhere, and you are no longer scared of them

Also, ILM should be ashamed of this. The CGI was terrible.

At first I thought I might try the book, hoping that it just had a bad adaptation. But now that I think about it, the whole story seems kinda silly and dumb.

16. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I just saw this film and was severely disappointed. It did a horrible job of pulling things together.

One thing that confused me:
    If all of the animals were infected, then couldn't the "virus" have easily spread, since there is no possible way that the military could confine them all in the quarantined area?

17. Chris Clark

Chris Clark Agent

Sadly, I'm going to have to agree with the negative comments about the film. I was hyped about this film from the first trailer, and those expectations imploded as the film unspooled. If the Animatrix short had not appeared before the film, I think the poor ticket cashiers would have faced the full force of my disappointment.
    At least WB didn't try to tack the short to the end of the film. That would have been pure marketing evil.

18. James T

James T Screenwriter

I saw this, and I jokingly told my friends, we should leave right after we saw the Animatrix movie.

Did anyone catch what Morgan Freeman said in the chopper during the spaceship attack?
    . All I caught was something about kicking ass. It seemed like something Ash would say, but I didn't quite hear it since the chopper was too loud.

Also, was this movie suppose to be scary? They had all the tense music and stuff you see from 80s horror films where you know something's going to happen and does, but this movie was never scary.

Bill, I never tought of that until you brought it up. ground can be controlled, but not airborne.

And one last thing, what were Morgan Freeman, Jason Lee and Tom Sizemore thinking when they signed on for this?

19. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Also. I just saw a Trailer that says "everything on earth knows they are comming, humans will be the last to know".

But We find out that humans have been fighting aliens for 30 years.

They never said what happened to all those people in the camp that were infected

and also, probably the largest grip for me Duddits. Ok this guy not only turns into some sphynx/ox alien, but he comes to earth a long time ago, gives some nice guys some powers, but he can tell the future??? He knew this was going to happen, at that point I gave up on the story. Especially sinse nothing was explained. We just have to accept that morgan freeman is crazy. Crazy enough that when one little thing doesn't go his way, instead of trying to save the world, he just tries to kill one man because he is mad at him.

20. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    huh?

I liked the movie, and enjoyed it quite a lot, I had two major disapointments, one that they showed us the shit weasal very quickly, but I got over that. I never notice if effects are bad because I don't have a freeze frame mind where I can take pictures and analyze them in magnified detail to see if they correctly used bump-mapping on the textures and proper reflection effects. I thought they were pretty good the shit weasals were slimy and disgusting, I didn't want to look at them. I'd have preferred keeping the shit weasals a secret, but I think it would have worked against the film ala Signs to do that differently because it would only have been disapointing.

Second major disapointment was that Dudditts turned out to be an alien, which made no sense whatsoever, and was extremely annoying.

I loved how they did the scenes of Jonesie's interaction with the alien and watching his own body.

Best part of the movie was the flashbacks and the first parts, the second parts were okay, but didn't live up to the first. I was surprised Jonesie lived, since I expected him to be killed by his buddy (logical sense because Jonesie had already died).

I was quite entertained, but was the only one in my group that was, my girlfriend was seriously disturbed by the gore (and she loved Dead-Alive, totally unaffected) but then the gore is deliberately meant to get at you; the other is a big King fan and had read the book and seemed to think it was like Hearts in Atlantis--all the problems are in the script because Goldman sucked out all the elements that made it a compelling story in order to make it more filmic.

I was going to give this three stars, but I think it's more of a 2.5 star film--highly recommended with reservations--because in the end it's nothing more than a very well done thriller, but what makes King stories so wonderful is they take the vehicle of the thriller and tell us something about the human condition, something very absent from the film (I blame Goldman once again, who turned Low Men in Yellow Coats into a rewrite of My Girl).

Adam