*** Official "DRAGONFLY" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Crawford, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for Dragonfly. Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
    All HTF member film reviews of Dragonfly should be posted to this thread.
    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
    Crawdaddy

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

This one almost put me to sleep several times, except that much of it is funnier than most comedies released these days. Plus, director Tom Shadyac (Patch Adams) has this creepy habit of somehow including wide-eyed terminally ill children as his laziest plot devices.
    I digress. (My full review is available here. ) But I'm very curious to see what others thought of this one!

3. Janna S

Janna S Second Unit

Scott - from your review: "Long-time cinematic joke Kathy Bates"? Hmmmm . . . I guess I'm out of the loop for mean jokes, thank goodness.

4. Scott Weinberg

Regarding Kathy Bates, I'm simply not a fan. Aside from her work in Misery, The Late Shift and Dolores Claiborne, she's consistently bad, IMO.
    "Longtime cinematic joke", though perhaps a bit harsh, is the way I see her after her ridiculous performances in stuff like The Waterboy, Rat Race, Titanic, American Outlaws and Dragonfly.
    My intent is not to insult those who admire Bates, just to state my own opinion in a clear and entertaining style.
    Sorry if that one statement is all you took from my review...

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It's an exceptionally bad film. And that's from someone who still likes Costner and is a huge fan of Kathy Bates (one of the few redeeming elements in Dragonfly, IMO).
    The script violates a basic rule of the supernatural thriller by failing to establish a consistent focus for the weird events. There's the dragonfly imagery, then there's the wavy cross imagery, then there's the rainbow. Manifestations begin in the house, then shift to the hospital, then back to the house again, then we're briefly in a church, then we're off in a flash to Venezuela where, in a bus underwater, the symbols seem to be coming together -- but no! we're off and running through the jungle so that we can shift to yet another location where something else can happen.
    If I've just spoiled anything, I did you a favor.
    M.

6. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

What a fun morning/afternoon watching this and Queen of the Damned back to back. Seems like both filmmakers forgot to include coherent main storylines.

If I felt anything in Dragonfly, it was intense boredom and a creeping sense of slumber. Yawn. Costner has frequently shown astonishingly bad judgment in his last several films (but I did think Message in a Bottle worked for what it was), and this isn't going to right his course.

Dragonfly has the earmarks of what his films typically get tagged as: overly earnest, vaguely spiritual, and numbingly boring. At least this one is comparitively short.

7. Janna S

Janna S Second Unit

Scott - I hadn't seen the film yet, so I saw no validity in responding to things in your review that were relevant only to the film.

However, your comment about Kathy Bates, articulated as it was to imply that she is a universal "joke," was something I could fairly remark upon.

You've now clarified that the comment was your own personal opinion (although it was written as if it were a fact honored from Hollywood to Bangor). Whether it is stated in a "clear and entertaining" style is debatable.

8. Scott Weinberg

9. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Janna,

I know that Scott ruffled your feathers about Kathy Bates but he is correct in saying that anything written in a movie review except factual information such as actors bios or film facts should be taken as the reviewer's opinion without him/her having to state it as so.

By the way Scott, I thought she was quite good in "Titanic".

Crawdaddy