What's new

***Official "DOWN WITH LOVE" Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
"With an AR of 2.35:1, Down With Love should not be shown with matting in the projector."

Well, just a BIT in the projector's apeture plate to 2.39:1 (or 2.40:1) to hide pesky negative splices. If the image is misframed within the scope apeture and is of anamorphic origin, you'll notice those negative splices (and you WILL on this film...ugh). For Super 35 films this won't happen because the spherical 1.37 negative is cut. If you were to watch a 1.85 film with the apeture fully exposed, you'd see the same negative splices. And so on.

"Did anybody else see at least two separate scenes where the boom mike was quite visible (once when Block shows up in McMannus' apartment and once near the end on the elevator)?"

I sadly saw the film misframed and only spotted one quick boom mike at the shot where Block shows up at the door, but it was so high up in the frame and looked out of the 2.39 safe zone. If the projection is properly centered it shouldn't be a problem. These days it isn't for many theaters, and noticing such artifacts is pretty common.

I remember seeing a repeat screening of Royal Tenenbaums (also shot Anamorphic Panavision) that was horribly misframed, almost right to the frameline, and spotted two boom mikes as well. You'd think they would keep these things out of a scope picture, even outside of the safe zone, alas...

Jason

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Saw this tonight, a nice treat to see after X2 and The Matrix Reloaded. Not all in one night, of course. :)
I had to make a break for the bathroom at the end of the scene where "Zip" was talking about going to bed and calling a taxi for Barbara and then she broke up with him, and I got back when they got back together. What all did I miss?

Arman

Screenwriter
"I had to make a break for the bathroom at the end of the scene where "Zip" was talking about going to bed and calling a taxi for Barbara and then she broke up with him, and I got back when they got back together. What all did I miss?"
With the help of screenit, Zip/Catcher and Barbara agreed that it's time to go to bed, but he plays innocent and says he'll call her a taxi to take her home. They then briefly passionately kiss before she leaves. Then they separately went to Peter & Vicki's party (which was originally their date). After some sexual talk, Catcher goes off with another woman (who's not wearing a shirt but has her hair over her apparently bare breasts) in the party to have sex in a bedroom. Nothing happens, however, as Barbara walks in on them (on a bed), she did not immediately recognize Zip. She sheepishly removed her coat then laughingly throw it to the couple making love. "Catch!". Zip/Catcher looked at her. Barbara finally recognized him then angrily went out of the building. Zip/Cather followed her and successfully sweet talk her outside.
You did not miss Renee Zellweger's fantastic long monologue, right?
I love Down With Love (A-/A). Down with those dumb film critics.:D How can you not at least appreciate this refreshingly gorgeous groovy looking film (has the beautiful feel & looks, i.e, production design, fashion style & cinematography wise of Far From Heaven, Auto Focus & Austin Powers) with a smart, witty & shrewed script and wonderful performances by the entire cast. Unbelievably, this beautifully directed homage to Rock Hudson & Doris Day 60s films was actually created by the same director of the mediocre Bring It On. Is this the reason (director's reputation) why this film is not getting enough love from most of film critics? Oh well, it's not really for everyone's tastes.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I thought Down With Love was a delight from start to finish. I loved everything about it - the look, the music, and the performances were all in perfect tune. I've seen some reviews criticize McGregor & Zellweger, but I thought they both handled the material with the perfect light touch. Hyde Pierce & Paulson provided excellent supporting work as well.
I also have to mention Marc Shaiman's amazing (and nearly wall-to-wall) score.
There's an interesting interview with director Peyton Reed up on AICN. He spends a lot of time talking about their design choices. I think their work paid off. This movie could easily be a multiple Oscar nominee - Art Direction, Costumes, Makeup, Score, Song, & maybe even Cinematography are in its reach.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Boy, I hated this movie...HATED it.

Peyton Reed needed to do two things MORE than he may have already...

1) Watch the Doris/Rock movies over and over. Make sure you GET it. Either he never got them or he tried to be over-clever with this film, but it misses the conventions and comedic beats of the 60's screwy romantic comedies.

2) Watch the Austin Powers movies over and over. If you're going to spoof a type of film from a different time period, the best way to do it is to NOT HAVE YOUR MAIN CHARACTERS IN ON THE JOKE!! This film reeked of moments where the actors were winking at the camera all too knowingly. Even the friggin' music was in on the joke! In order for this kind of comedy to work, you've gotta have someone play it straight.

Too bad...this could have been genuinely cute and retro and lovable. I found it boring, pretentious, and lame.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I caught a matinee of this today, and i found it suprisingly enjoyable. I am too young to have ever caught the rock hudson, doris day films, but some older folks in the theatre, kept saying during the movie constantly that ewan mcgregor and and renee zellweger did a top notch job paying homage to them. Definitely buying the future dvd !

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
So is everyone thinking that the guest appearances by the boom mikes were intentional?
A great film - my favorite of the year. I've done my best to talk it up at work, but I don't think I convinced anyone to see it. :frowning:
-Dave

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
"So is everyone thinking that the guest appearances by the boom mikes were intentional?"
From my previous post:
"Did anybody else see at least two separate scenes where the boom mike was quite visible (once when Block shows up in McMannus' apartment and once near the end on the elevator)?"
I sadly saw the film misframed and only spotted one quick boom mike at the shot where Block shows up at the door, but it was so high up in the frame and looked out of the 2.39 safe zone. If the projection is properly centered it shouldn't be a problem.
Oh and for what it's worth, I'm also in the "loved it" camp. :)
Jason

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Good movie. Not great, but good and entertaining. Both leads were very good. Don't know her name but the actress portraying Vicki was nearly a show stealer.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Heartily agree there, Tim. She stole a half-dozen scenes easily - as did Niles Crane. ;)
Her name is Sarah Paulson. You may remember her as the 'non-challenged' sister in The Other Sister. She also had a small-ish part in What Women Want and has been on board several failed TV series.
An actress to keep an eye on. For other than the obvious reasons:

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Nice picture Scott! I will definitely keep a watchful eye for her future projects. :wink:
You mentioned What Women Want . If my memory is right, she was the one who had the boyfriend overseas and made the long distance phone calls? She was blonde then too?
Her smile is gorgeous!:b

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
There's something that's been on my mind that may be a huge error in writing. Near the end, where Peter opens his window shades to reveal a billboard advertising Now magazine, there's text on there that reads something like "How Nancy Brown turned into Barbara Novak," and there's even a before and after picture. Yet Catch says during his interview that he didn't say anything about Nancy Brown in his exposé. Am I missing something here, or is this an error on the writers' part?

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Thomas, that's what Nancy did to sell books. So while Catcher did not reveal her in his expose, she DID.

I liked the movie, it was pretty fun. The star to me is Ewan McGregor. Like in Moulin Rouge, he has an effortless charm that is unmatched by most. Hard to imagine if we've only seen Trainspotting.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
This movie is a complete delight. I'm just really sorry it's not doing better box-office wise.

Can anyone tell me the name of the crooner who sings the end credits song after the Renee-Ewan duet? What a voice!

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
So what would've been the difference?
This is sort of like the British can bash on their queen, but Americans can't do it in front of the British. If we reveal something about ourselves, or make a joke out of it, it's okay; but it's not so okay if another does it. Of course, this is just part of Nancy's smarts. She's exploiting her own journey for sales.

Speaking of songs, I think "Here's To Love" is so far the front runner for best song of the year.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Thanks for the explanation, Kirk.

Can anyone tell me the name of the crooner who sings the end credits song after the Renee-Ewan duet? What a voice!
I don't remember the specific song, but I have the soundtrack. Do you remember any of the lyrics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks