***Official "DOWN WITH LOVE" Discussion Thread***

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ThomasC, Jan 16, 2003.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

2. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

Watched the trailer - looks very funny. I'm wishing it was not Renee Zellweger, as she really does nothing for me. However, with EW, Jeri Ryan, David Hyde Pierce and more, looks to be a blast.

3. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

4. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Agree with Vickie. Two of my favorites, and two of my wife favorites in a STUNNING LOOKING film. They'll have to pry me off the ceiling.

Just saw the trailer a few minutes ago, and I'm smitten.

Great shot!

Take care,
    Chuck

5. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I have the "sizzle reel" Fox sent out to tease this release and thought it looked like fun. Director Peyton Reed (Bring It On) seems like a good choice. We shall see...

6. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

What's a "sizzle reel?"

7. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I can't provide a dictionary definition, but going by what I saw, it's a tape that is supposed to tease the film and stir up anticipation in the people who see it (presumably those in the media or the industry). I haven't looked at it since it was sent to me, but if memory serves, it has the trailer, some behind-the-scenes footage, and the stars and director briefly talking about the movie. It isn't intended for broadcast.

8. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

When I first saw the poster I thought it would just be another crappy Reese Witherspoon type comedy (Sweet Home Alabama, Legally Blonde). I saw the trailer and I think this will be a brilliant throwback to films of the 60s similar to GQ. The cast looks great espically with David Hyde Pierce in the supporting cast. The story doesn't look that great but the direction amazingly captures the spirit, look, and feel of 60s films. Directed by Peyton Reed who's credits include Bring it On. But despite that, I'll be seeing this in May. Has anyone else seen the trailer?

9. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

10. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I joined that topic.

This is opening as counterprogramming to The Matrix, and I think it will be HUGE. Ewan, Renee, the director of Bring It On, and the conceit (not really, but to the layman it works) of Far From Heaven in a Romantic Comedy - it'll mint money.

My wife and I are very excited (mostly for the cast) to check it out. It looks like a lot of fun!

Take care,
    Chuck

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Down With Love". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
    All HTF member film reviews of "Down With Love" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.
    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
    M.

12. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Chuck, i'm just as suprised as you.
    i thought for sure this would have a strong opening and good legs.- especially on a 'date' night.
    i'm shocked DDC beat it (and X2 for that matter).

although it did have a rotten rating on the tomat'o'meter, last time i checked.

13. Michael Reuben

I just saw it and found it a treat. But you have to go in with the right mindset, because it's sheer nonsense from first to last (which is pretty much the point).

For film buffs, there are all sorts of funny little winks, starting with the opening title card proclaiming it to be a Fox Cinemascope production. If you're either old enough to remember the 60s or a fan of the studio movies from that era, there are references and echoes in practically every frame. The costumes and production design are like separate characters.

Zellweger is perfect. She has a scene near the end of the film that a lesser actress would have choked on, but she brings it off flawlessly. (You'll know it when you see it.) McGregor brings a light touch to the material that I thought was great, but my wife disliked (which is a bad sign for the movie's target audience). David Hyde Pierce steals all of his scenes.

M.

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I have no idea how Renee got through that scene at the end in one take. Yowza!

I think everyone is going to see The Matrix Reloaded (guys are dragging their girlfriends in a take no prisoner fashio - just joking) because it's more of an event, than just a choice in counter-programming.

15. KerryK

KerryK Stunt Coordinator

Well, since it's a 3-day weekend in Canada, I managed to squeeze both movies in, and my knees are still weak from Ewan's performance. That's not to detract from everything else - costumes, sets, performances, all delightful.

16. Paul Drake

Paul Drake Stunt Coordinator

I was looking forward to this movie, but was disappointed when I saw it. Yes, the colors and styles were magnificant, but outside of David Hyde Pierce, it wasn't funny. Double entendres abounded, and after the 30th or 40th one, it gets old.

Also, did anybody else see at least two separate scenes where the boom mike was quite visible (once when Block shows up in McMannus' apartment and once near the end on the elevator)? The movie was shown at 2:35 at my theater, but I wonder if this was a true film flub or the projectionist goofed up.

It reminds me of the time where I saw "North by Northwest" projected at 1:33 in error and the mike was visible for almost a fourth of the movie. Then again, that same theater showed "Strangers on a Train" in widescreen which ruined that movie. I called the manager afterwards and got that fixed.

17. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

18. Paul Drake

Paul Drake Stunt Coordinator

19. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

But if the film was VistaVision, there shouldn't be any "open matte" area. The negative would have been 1.85:1.

20. Michael Reuben