What's new

*** Official DODGEBALL Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Dodgeball". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I got to see Dodgeball last night. The movie plays out like a cross between Old School and Kingpin. While it doesn't quite approach either of the two aforementioned films, when it works, it works really well.

The setup of the film, however, is one of its weaker points. The denizens of the Average Joe's gym try very hard to be kooky and funny but, try as they might, with the exception of the high school male cheerleader wanna-be, it doesn't work too well.

The real fun of the movie starts when the Average Joe's crew watch a "vintage" dodgeball instruction video. This segment is absolutely hilarious and, followed by the team's training under the guidance of a burnt-out Patches O'Houlihan is the comedic meat of the movie.

Dodgeball begins to lose steam during the actual dodgeball tournement. The film-makers don't do too much to spice up the "sport" beyond adding in a bunch of gooy stereotype-laden teams to throw at both Average Joe's and Globo Gym.

The ending is obvious and I had hoped that, like Kingpin, they might throw a little curve in there but, alas, it is not to be. What really saves the tournement and endgame is the great cameos they've slipped in, as well as the hilarious introduction of a new sports channel.

Also, be sure to stick around through the credits for a little something extra. Though it might not be suitable for younger viewers :D

Vince Vaugn seemed to go through the motions here, clearly playing off of his character in Old School (or is that just Vince himself?) Here, it doesn't come off as well and I found myself wondering if he was just off or if the director had reigned him in too much. Still, this is a role he can pull off in his sleep.

Ben Stiller puts in a workman-like effort as the owner of Globo Gym. I thought he was a bit too over the top at times. Still, the character does what it is supposed to do.

The rest are, well, the rest. They don't do a whole lot and are not really supposed to. However, none of these characters are particularly memorable, particularly Steve the Pirate to whom they devoted a bit of a subplot for no particular reason.

:star: :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Good fun but not great fun. Worth watching if only for the dodgeball training video and ESPN 8: The "Ocho"
Unevenly funny, when it's on, though, it is ON.

James T

Screenwriter
I really liked this movie. I went in not expecting much after hearing the mixed reviews. I haven't bought a comedy movie in a long time(I think Jay and Silent Bob Strikes back being the last one), but I'll wait for this to come out on DVD. And yes, the celebrity cameos are hilarious. I almost cried laughing too hard when the German team got in a huddle around the David Hasselhoff autographed picture

James T

Screenwriter
I really liked this movie. I went in not expecting much after hearing the mixed reviews. I haven't bought a comedy movie in a long time(I think Jay and Silent Bob Strikes back being the last one), but I'll wait for this to come out on DVD. And yes, the celebrity cameos are hilarious. I almost cried laughing too hard when the German team got in a huddle around the David Hasselhoff autographed picture

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think the movie could have been funnier, and for me the highlight was the training sequence for the Average Joes. I think one-note bad guys get dull really quick, and Ben Stiller's character over-stayed his welcome by over 45 minutes. The celebrity walk-ons were well placed and effective for the storypoint being conveyed.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think the movie could have been funnier, and for me the highlight was the training sequence for the Average Joes. I think one-note bad guys get dull really quick, and Ben Stiller's character over-stayed his welcome by over 45 minutes. The celebrity walk-ons were well placed and effective for the storypoint being conveyed.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks