What's new

***Official Digital Video Essentials Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

MatthewW

Auditioning
I ordered my copy from Buy.com and looks like they still have some in stock according to their website. I received it this past Tuesday. I also noticed that most of the patterns are off centered as well. I already own VE original and AVIA. I calibrated with DVE and my settings were about the same, very minor changes in the tint and color was all I changed.

On the audio calibration section, the settings stayed the same except for the subwoofer. I use to have it set all speakers at 75db and sub at 76db on my SPL meter with the old VE, now it shows up as 82db using the new subwoofer pink noise from DVE. I decided to just leave it at the old setting. Anyone else have the similar findings?

John.Meer

Agent
Isn't the overscan an issue with your tv? The narrative mentions shooting for 2.5%. My set shows less than 5%.

Also, I noticed on my setup the right channel appears to be missing for the first minute or so of chapter 2-1.

I really appreciate finally having a 1.78 aspect ratio for all the test signals.

Luis A

Second Unit
MatthewW, yeah I had the same thing happen with the sub. I went ahead and tried the new setting, but it just sounded incredibly week. I also noticed the DD/DTS sub settings were a little farther apart than what I had using the S&V setup disc. DTS sub setting was +7 on S&V and +13 with DVE higher than the DD sub setting. Also the 75db ref level was a 2db higher than what I had it previously set at with the first VE.

Haven't gotten to the Video portion yet, but I hope it's better than the audio. :)

Todd K

Second Unit
I am finding the disc hard to follow in some spots. The brightness test is easy enough, but I get confused in the contrast section. I'll go through it a few more times to see if repeat viewings help. There is a lot of stuff on there.

And another thing -- I am confused by something discussed in the advanced video section where they talk about the warm and cool colors of grey. I have a standard def Wega set, so I am able to change my color temperature between cool, warm, and neutral. In the DVE discussion, they say that you should aim for the setting that gives you the most neutral color of grey, which is probably the "warm" setting. However, as they're saying this, the picture they show on the monitor is the color used when they were highlighting a "neutral" setting a few seconds earlier.

bill---

Auditioning
I just got the DVE and I do not understand how it works. I am not dumb but it seems very hard to set up the video. The patterns look like they are for professionals. Can someone please help me on where to start to set-up. I have a Hitachi 51F500, component videos from bluejeans,fibre optic audio and no understanding of this video. Help!

Clemens

Grip
is it just me, or is color and tint adjustment easier with the THX optimizer test(with blue filter), than the tests that come with DVE?

I tried adjusting it with DVE for like an hour, then decided to try the THX one - since now I have a blue filter - and noticed that it was so much easier.

Don't get me wrong though, I think DVE is awesome, lots of information for a home theater n00b like me, and lots of tests for audio calibration.

Now I just have to get myself an spl meter, or at least find someone that I can borrow off of.

Travis Campbell

Auditioning
Has anybody in Canada actually have their hands on this item? It's been a week already and every store that I talk to hasn't got it in stock! And those of you who have ordered it online, have you received it?

Clemens

Grip
I bought it yesterday at A&B sound, in Edmonton.
It's on sale for 26.75, Canadian dollar of course.
HMV has it for like 45 bucks

Forrest

Auditioning
Has anybody in Canada actually have their hands on this item? It's been a week already and every store that I talk to hasn't got it in stock! And those of you who have ordered it online, have you received it?
Yep, I also got mine at A&B Sound for $26.79... but at their Coquitlam BC store.

John.Meer

Agent
Can someone with a 7.1 setup with a sub, check the title 10, chapter 14 bass management (Back Surround) to see if anything is coming out of the sub?

At the risk of cross-posting, I am getting nothing from the sub from the rear channel with any settings on my AVM20. Side-rears and center crossover correctly (i.e I get sub output).

Thanks

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised no one has commented on this: this disc has some of the worst edge enhancement I've ever laid eyes on! Everything has massive haloes around it, which causes the demonstration of the sharpness control to be absolutely laughable. I can't believe that they let this out looking like this. It's really terrible.

On the positive side, the test patterns for contrast, brightness, color and tint are much more user friendly (at least for me) this time around; the SMPTE test pattern from the original VE is too hard to use for these purposes, especially when your onscreen menu for these controls covers most of it up.

But that edge enhancement, OUCH! :angry:

Thomas Smailus

Stunt Coordinator
On the THX optimizer - for use without the blue glasses (mine are not here yet) - an alternative method is supplied. Has anyone been able to use it? The 'description' of what to look for is to see 'red starting to bleed' - not having an idea of what that looks like, I was unable to get any such effect on my Sony tube set. Also, following the instructions - I ended up with contrast cranked way to the top and brightness near the bottom... is this right?

---
I also got some info on the AVIA release comming up...

For those really serious and with money to burn, got the following about the upcomming Avia Pro release from Ovation Software, the makers of Avia. OUCH!

---

As most of you are aware, the release date for AVIA Pro has been postponed
until fall to ensure the suite includes the most extensive and advanced
calibration tools available on the market.

We apologize for the delay, but these advancements will be worth the wait!
The development team has made significant improvements to several video test
patterns in the past months. In the mean time, we encourage you to read the
following description of details and features that AVIA Pro will offer.

Regards,

The Ovation Team

About AVIA Pro

AVIA Professional (AVIA Pro) is a multi-disc calibration, set-up and test
suite from Ovation. It is the most technologically advanced solution
available for use in the professional and home theater environments. The
suite consists of seven DVDs and a user manual designed to be an
all-inclusive product for the calibration of video and audio systems.

AVIA Pro includes state-of-the-art audio and video test signals developed by
Ovation, Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) industry standards, and
other materials from SMPTE, RPG and Genesis Microchip. The user manual
provides necessary instructions for the use of each disc.

The AVIA Pro video test disc, by Ovation, contains more than 1,000 new test
signals with approximately 3,000 variations, providing the video or
home-theater professional unprecedented flexibility and new capabilities.

AVIA Pro not only improves "traditional" signals, but also permits functions
never before possible. The variation of patterns available allows users to
select the one best suited for the job, resulting in a customized test
pattern generator for each project. Special emphasis during product
development was placed on testing and adjusting wide-screen technology, and
newer video and fixed panel display technologies such as LCD, DLP, LCOS,
SXRD and Plasma.

AVIA Pro's audio test disc, also provided by Ovation, includes sound tones
for Dolby, DTS and surround sound up to 7.1. SACD test tones also may be
included.

CEA has provided the information necessary for manufacturers to meet the
Standard Method of Measurement for DVD-Video Players (Standard EIA/CEA-896).
This standard was developed based on NTSC specifications and created to make
it easier to compare the functionality of DVD-Video players. The CEA disc
contains a suite of test signals designed to gauge and evaluate the
performance of DVD-Video players. Specifically, the standard defines test
signals and test procedures for measuring different aspects of brightness
and color, while helping to measure signal and audio-related
characteristics.

The SMPTE portion of AVIA Pro specifically monitors equipment errors in the
motion imaging industry, focusing on tests patterns for color and motion.

RPG has developed two computer programs titled Room Optimizer and Room
Sizer. This software is an automated process designed to take full advantage
of listener and equipment placement as well as take into consideration the
specific room dimensions for the Critical Listening Room environment.
Details include a new methodology for determining the room size for the
small critical listening spaces to achieve the flattest possible frequency
response. Also, RPG provides information for minimizing acoustical
distortion in project studios. This includes details relevant to acoustical
issues facing design of such studios, suggestions about addressing these
problems and the real-world limitations of these suggestions.

The information provided by Genesis as part of AVIA Pro includes various
test patterns to optimize microchip technology and help achieve life-like,
visibly better images.

The cost of AVIA Pro is $400 and will be available through direct sales.

Does any one recall if the S&V disc can be used on projection TVs? I can't recall if it was just designed for tubes.

Is the DVE designed for different types of TVs? Has anyone seen different test patterns for particular tvs?

Eric_AP

Stunt Coordinator
Is this worth getting if you already have Avia?

Note the following:

1. I have a 5.1 speaker set-up (not 6.1 or 7.1)

2. I am ONLY interested in AUDIO calibration

Now, knowing the above, is there any reason to get DVE, if you already own AVIA?

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm surprised no one has commented on this: this disc has some of the worst edge enhancement I've ever laid eyes on! Everything has massive haloes around it, which causes the demonstration of the sharpness control to be absolutely laughable. I can't believe that they let this out looking like this. It's really terrible.
Mark,
I can't agree with your statement regarding the overall quality of Digital Video Essentials, based on my viewing of this disc. True, there is some variation in the quality of some of the images because of the different source material (some of it intentional), but I certainly would not categorize DVE as suffering from massive EE. I've seen far, far worse materials (SW - Episode I, for example) and, as a matter of fact, some of the imagery on DVE is absolutely stunning to me. For example, the demo portion that shows the girl in the dark dress in a courtyard (she later reaches for some fruit off a tree) is amazing. It's the closest thing I've ever seen to HDTV from a SD source.

I'm not saying that what you are seeing isn't terrible. I'm just saying that not everyone is seeing something that you term "laughable." I wouldn't be so quick to blame the disc unless you got a flawed copy.

Steve Lowe

Auditioning
I think that you might be seeing 'ringing'around the text on the sharpness pattern. If so this is something that your DVD player's circuits are causing, and not information actually on the DVE disc. I have a Pioneer DV747 (equivelant to Elite DV47) and can see the same problem.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
Is it worth upgrading from the orginal VE? I'm only interested in the video calibration for a 51" RPTV.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
No, I'm seeing the EE everywhere throughout the disc, and not just in the sharpness demo. It's far, far worse than SW-Episode I to my eyes. All of the test patterns have vivid haloes around them. I'll try it on some other players though to see if it's player-specific. Thus far I've only tried it out on my Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks