What's new

*** Official "DEATH TO SMOOCHY" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
I don't know if I was in the right mood or what, but it really disappointed me. I was really looking forward to it, and this is kind of movie that's usually a winner with me. I felt myself forcing laughs out, simply because I thought I should be laughing, but for whatever reason they weren't coming naturally. I'm hoping on a second viewing(on dvd), that I'll enjoy it a lot more.

A few of the problems I had with the film: Devito seemed to be trying to hard to make the film wacky, instead of the wackiness serving the story. I thought he was really forcing it with the extreme camera angles and weird lighting. I've seen Robin Williams do his nut-job characters one too many times, and his usual schtick wasn't working for me. Catherine Keener once again played the stuck-up, bitchy career gal. How many times do we need to see her play this role?

And this wasn't so much of a complaint, just something weird I couldn't get over. Ed Norton has a strange speeking tone and pattern that sounded like another actor I'm familiar with, but couldn't put my finger on. I think if I watch it again, I'll figure it out. Every time he talked, I could only think about who he sounded like. Anybody else feel this way or know who he sounded like?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Ed Norton has a strange speeking tone and pattern that sounded like another actor I'm familiar with, but couldn't put my finger on. I think if I watch it again, I'll figure it out. Every time he talked, I could only think about who he sounded like. Anybody else feel this way or know who he sounded like?
I heard it: Matthew McConaughey, right?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Loved the hard-R material (mostly filthy language from a deranged Robin Williams). It was like being back at a George Carlin comedy concert in some respects.

The situations are funny, the overall plot wasn't too engaging. The performances ranged from "you got to be kidding me" funny to "oooo-kay, that's over the top" funny.

If you're in a foul mood, you might get some laughs out of the film.

I did enjoy the credits sequence at the end of the film.

mike caronia

Second Unit
Smoochy was just OK to me. I usually love black comedies.
It definitely seemed forced to me. Robin Williams character's motivation to 'get back' at the rhino had no depth. HE lost his job and was angry at the replacement? Why?
Edward Norton's character...way too naive.
Catherine Keener, different movie...same ol' delivery.
I did love Mickey the midget from Seinfeld though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks