*** Official DAWN OF THE DEAD Review Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Adam Portrais, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Adam Portrais

Adam Portrais Stunt Coordinator

Let me first start out by letting you know where I'm coming from. I am not a long time horror movie fan. I only recently got into seeing horror movies because I had ignored them for so many years. When I was a kid horror movies scared me so I guess I stayed with that idea for years and then of course I gave the old "It's just silly and predictable" excuse. But now days it takes quite a bit so scare me and I've realized that horror movies are mostly supposed to be about having fun (sounds dumb doen't it?).

Today I have several things I like to see in a horror movie (I guess you could say that these are the things that I think horror movies should have to be to be considered good).

They should be scary: But not "Whoa I just crapped myself scary" (my guess is that there are very few things out there like that) but scary in the way that you get that little chuckle reflex when you know something bad is about to happen.

They should also have violence, an aceptable level of gore, humor and sex and/or nudity (don't deny it, you too enjoy boobs on film). Of couse all the other things go along as with a regular movie; stoy, acting, production value, etc. I'm here to tell you that the new Dawn of the Dead has them all.

In preperation for this movie I watched (for the frist time) all of the Dead films and really enjoyed them. I even watched the NOTLD remake and now it and this new Dawn have good elements in both and if they were somehow fused together then would have the perfect movie. But alas, this is not possible. But I do think that the new Dawn is pretty good as I found out in a preview screening today.

So I'm sure you've all heard the new things that sepertate this Dawn from previous. Yes, the zombies run. And you know what? I loved the fact that they did. I mean even in the remake of Night Barbara says "They're so slow. We could just walk right past 'em and we wouldn't even have to run. We could just walk right past 'em." Damn stright you could. Now that they run it makes things much more tence. And yes there are more people in the mall in this remake. Guess what? I liked this as well. Having more people in the mall gives the movie more to go on. There are more character dynamics to deal with and things don't seem as stale so quick.

Which brings me to another point I like about the new Dawn: The running time. This Dawn clocks in at around 90 min. were as the 1978 Dawn runs a little over two hours (quite an epic for a zombie movie but there was a lot of things that could have been shaved to keep the story moving at a faster pace). To me around 90 min. is just what a horror movie should run.

I do have to say that the acting in this movie is leaps and bounds over the acting in ALL of the previous Dead movies. Sara Polly makes Barbra (even the one in the new Night) look like a feeble old lady.

The effects are (as it would dictate through time) are damn good. Zombie make-up looks just as good if not better than Savini's in Day of the Dead. The music is also far better in this Dawn. Now there are orchestral insted of synths (though they were "great" in the 70's and 80's) which today seen laughable. Also, listen the the musiack in the mall, the songs add a little wink to the audience.

The over all atmosphere in the movie is much more dark and "end-of-the-world-ish" (wow, I think I just make up a phrase) than the old one.

I don't want to talk too much about what does and doesn't happen in this movie but I do think this is the whole idea you should have when seeing this movie: It's not the 1978 Daown of the Dead, don't treat it like it is or should be. This movie doesn't (like so many who haven't seen the movie already assume) trash or belittle it's predecessor, it honors it. Is it the same movie? No. But it really does have the sprit of the 1978 Dawn. Of course thee are going to be those die hard fans who will never embrace it but I belive that thinking that that is very short-sighted. Like I've said before, I'm no horror buff but I know a good movie when I see it and this Dawn of the Dead is pretty good.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

P.S. When the movie is over just don't leap out of your seat and run to your car. Stay through the credits.

Adam Portrais

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Dawn of the Dead". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

3. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

After "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" was re-envisioned by Michael Bay and Marcus Nispel, word that George Romero's horror classic "Dawn of the Dead" was coming next filled a lot of fans with dread. "Chainsaw" ended up being remade as a quick-chop, straight to the point typical horror film that just happened to star a butcher wearing other people's faces. Most of the creepy dread and twisted, sweat soaked otherworldliness that made the original a classic seemed to have been purged from the film. It was a remake in that there was a guy called Leatherface and it happened in Texas.

Fans were worried the same would happen to "Dawn." That Hollywood would churn out a soulless, run of the mill fright flick with a couple nice kills and some pretty faces to scream nice and loud at the camera. They worried that Romero's acerbic wit, unsubtle satire and social commentary would get washed out like the overexposed negative on the super-grainy film stock these music video directors seem to rely on. And it just so happened this remake was ALSO being helmed by a first timer who cut his teeth on videos--but it was written by a guy with not much of a track record, on top of that.

And it turns out that a lot of that satire and social commentary DID get washed out. But not all of it. And the remake of "Dawn of the Dead," Written by Troma alumnus (and "writer" of "Scooby-Doo") James Gunn and helmed by straight out of MTV rookie Zack Snyder does tread often completely different ground than the original. But where Bay and Nispel were content to follow the path of every other basic horror flick, Gunn and Snyder follow a different path. This is "Dawn of the Dead" by way of James Cameron's "ALIENS"

And it's probably the closest any movie has come since the Cameron classic (itself a sequel that many believe is far and away better than the movie it followed) to that kind of sick, darkly funny, suspense/horror/action rollercoaster ride. There's not much in the way of social commentary. There's no real parallel between mindless consumerism and undead flesh-eaters. But this movie moves too fast and too efficiently for people to catch on until after the last frame flashes on the screen. And by then, most won't care.

Much of this success has to do with the cast. These aren't WB network, tuesday night lightweights here. While Sarah Polley's Ana (heh. Polley. Ana. ha ha) isn't exactly our generations Ellen Ripley, she's steely enough, with just the right touch of vulnerable to make us care. Ving Rhames' Kenneth is the tightlipped, all-business man in uniform, much like Michael Biehn's portrayal of Coporal Hicks. And as all the best lines went to Bill Paxton as Hudson in ALIENS, Ty Burrell as Steve is selling the hell out of James Gunn's one-liners. (or are they Gunns? Word is that celebrated scribe Scott Frank did an uncredited polish on the flick) What helps goose this character along as a future fanboy favorite is the fact that this guy is a dead ringer (ha ha. dead ringer. dead..ha) for B-Movie hero Bruce Campbell.

We also have Mekhi Phifer taking a pretty cookie cutter role and giving it some depth, although the same can't be said for Inna Korobkina, who plays his--what looks like--9 1/2 months pregnant wife. Michael Kelly's gets the rest of the lines Gunn hasn't given to Burrel, and he handles with style the switch from selfish asshole to someone willing to sacrifice. Or at least he handled it well enough for me. I heard some grumbles in the theater that it was a little too much too fast. And Jake Weber turns in an understated, measured performance as the kinda-sorta leader of the gang of people in the mall.

Which brings us to the flaws in this movie: There are too many people in the mall. If they're not the people I named above, you know they're zombie food the instant they show up. That's not a spoiler, it's just that obvious. Only a couple people manage to come up with anything approaching depth and personality in the time they're onscreen. To further prove this point--there's a character who communicates almost SOLELY by dry-erase board from his perch on the roof across the street. And he's more of an actual character than some the people in the mall. And along with the sometimes cardboard characterization, there are one or two nice size plot-holes. But given the speed this movie runs at, most won't want to take the time to seriously nitpick them.

To give Gunn credit, some of the manners of death ARE surprising. It's not all overtly foreshadowed eat-em-ups as we go down the line. There's actually two VERY unexpected endings for characters in this flick--and one involves a chainsaw. And for the gore-hounds, while we don't get much zombie feasting, and nothing anywhere near the middle of the mall Thanksgiving Biker Dinner from the original--there ARE plenty of very inventive zombie headshots. There are probably more bullets to the brainpan in this movie than ANYTHING in the last 10 years. But, as in almost EVERY horror movie (it seems to be the necessary evil of the genre) you have very intelligent characters too often acting way too stupid at times.

Then again, this isn't so bad--a lot of the way the living ended up getting slaughtered in Romero's films was just for that reason: Selfish stupidity. The living were so busy bickering and numbing themselves, lulling themselves into a false sense of security and not waking up until hordes of the sonnambulist undead were ripping their intestines out. Because that's the only way these slow-moving, barely thinking eating machines would catch you: You did something dumb.

Which brings us to another main difference. These zombies haul ass. They're much like the Rage-infected specimens from 28 Days Later, but hungrier. Will purists be bothered? Probably. There were fans of ALIEN who didn't like that the Aliens became more like typical bugs in Cameron's sequel. But for that movie, that story and that director, it worked. And for this movie, the change from shamblers to sprinters works in spades. Set piece after set piece, Snyder, his DP Matthew Leonetti and his Editor Niven Howie NEVER drop the ball, and the sprinting, shrieking undead only add to the creepy, rushed, molar-grinding suspense. They're a whole hell of a lot faster, and there's WAY more of them. Is it a horror movie? Kinda. When Ving Rhames, in a pre-release interview called the movie "more of an action flick" he wasn't lying. but the blending of the genres is almost note perfect for a large portion of the movie, and it should be enough to keep most moviegoers VERY entertained.

Will the purists be happy? Maybe. Depends on if they can divorce the original from what they're seeing onscreen. Snyder throws the purists a bone here and there, cameos by original actors Scott Reininger and Ken Foree pop up onscreen, and makeup legend Tom Savini, who worked on the original, gets a couple lines and some face time as well (and that guy doesn't seem to age AT ALL. Him and Dick Clark. It's kind of creepy)

This remake is scary, but in a different way. It's definitely better shot, (If Romero had even half of Snyder's budget, I dunno if I'd be saying that, though) and much more action packed. It's funny, but less satirical than the original, more darkly smart-assed. And where there seemed to be a tentative hope lingering as the credits rolled over the original--the credit sequence of this "Dawn" provide no such comfy blanket to an audience that might be a little wrung-out as the lights come up.

It's not better. It's not worse. It's just different. But a good different. A scary, funny, adrenalized bloody kind of different. And it's worth checking out on the big screen.

4. BarryS

BarryS Second Unit

I saw Dawn of the Dead last night. Being a big fan of George Romero's Dead Trilogy, I didn't know quite what to expect. Well, I liked it, but I didn't. I'm not sure if I would give it thumbs-up or thumbs down. Maybe somewhere in between.

Pros:

The gore. It's very well done and there's lots of it. Makeup effects are excellent. Even the occasional CG effects look nice.

Lots of humor. Quite a few funny moments.

Ving Rhames. He kicks ass. That's all there is to it.

Sarah Polley. droool...

Brief cameo by Tom Savini.

Cons:

Action, action, action, action. It's like an action movie where the villains are zombies. A lot of people would probably consider that a good thing, but I missed the slow, languid pace of Romero's Dawn of the Dead. The remake is all about action. There's very little drama. There's very little character development. The dialog consists of little more than one-liners.

The direction. This movie was obviously directed by a music video veteran. Why do music video directors get to make movies? Do they not understand that filmmaking is different from shooting music videos? During the action sequences in Dawn of the Dead, the camera never stops moving. It doesn't move in sleek steadicam fashion, either. Much of the film is photographed in the style of Saving Private Ryan's D-Day Invasion sequence. It gets to be headache inducing after a while.

I think that the next time a horror film comes along that is done by a former music video director, I'm going to skip completely. Where are all the talented young filmmakers? Where's the next Paul Thomas Anderson? He's not going to come from MTV.

Dawn of the Dead will be an entertaining horror film for most. It's a far cry from George Romero, however. Zack Snyder (director of Dawn of the Dead) has no idea what the word subtlety means, and has no use for Romero's satiric wit. If this is the state of the modern horror film, give me blue-faced polyester-wearing zombies covered in blood that looks like paint any day of the week.

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

All of the relevant points have been covered - most of which I agree with - so I'll just say that this new Dawn of the Dead is better than I thought it'd be.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I was very pleased with the new Dawn Of The Dead. While it doesn't outclass the original, in it's own right, it's pretty darn good.

An excellent cast and good production elevates this film from many other poor horror films in recent years (House Of The Dead for instance).

I highly recommend this movie to all horror fans!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of 4.[​IMG]

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I enjoyed most of the humor in the film, but the characters (non-zombies) weren't all that "fleshed" out (pardon the pun), so I found myself not really engaged or caring about their fates when it goes bad for some of them. But, I'm a sucker for Sarah Polley films, so I saw it.

I recommend keeping the expectation low, and you might have a good time laughing at the film (not laughing with the film).

I give it 2.5 stars, or a C+.

8. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

Loved the film.

After watching this film I cannot go back to 28 days later *that movie is now officially shelved once this comes on DVD*.

Nothing new with the story line, but the makeup, and overall pace of the movie was done quite well.

I give this one [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. BarryS

BarryS Second Unit

Oh, I forgot to give a star rating in my review. I'd say [​IMG] [​IMG] 1/2 out of four.

10. Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco Second Unit

Suprisingly good movie. I went in thinking it be another bad remake, but I was wrong...Dawn of the Dead Wrong. (that was cheezy huh?)

Might piss some people off, but I would rather watch this one than the original. Sorry, just how I feel. Probably because I feel this to be a better all around story. Acting was Shakespeare compared to the first. That is what kinda left me turned off on the original one, horrible acting.

I'm probably going to see this one again before it comes out on DVD. This was one of the big suprises for the year for me.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] 1/2 [​IMG]

11. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

i consider myself fairly knowledgeable when it comes to horror films (they are my chief hobby & I've worked on several low-budget ones) and IMHO DOTD is the best new horror film since Takashi Miike's Audition...I absolutely loved it, & keep in mind Iam not particularly fond of American horror films in general...I could try to pick it apart, but why should I? i enjoyed the HELL out of it...it was like being a kid again, seeing Fulci's Zombie or Evil Dead, truly a roller coaster ride...& yes, I obviously was a pretty weird kid [​IMG]

12. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Just...WOW! [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

More [​IMG] here... there are those who are saying it is more "MTV style" horror... but I question this saying. If MTV could come up with stuff this cool... I might actually watch it again! [​IMG] I am very pleased with how this turned out; very fast paced, intense and very fun. I haven't had this much fun since Kill Bill and I haven't had this kind of fun at a horror movie since... since... well, um... I can't remember.

14. Christopher*KH

Christopher*KH Stunt Coordinator

I was first in the cinema Sat. morning and I got to say being in there alone reading a book and waiting to see a Dawn of the Dead with the Mall just outside the doors made me notice EVERY single little sound. Very creepy.

I LOVED this version. I LOVE the Original. 2 Different films with similar story line; Flesh Eating Zombies surround a shopping Mall with living people inside.
    Just awesome!!

My ONLY complaint as others have stated is charactor development. I would like to know more about each of the people in the film. I would have to say we know most about Ana. We saw where she came from,how she got to this point.
    Hopefully from this quote from Zack Snyder regarding the upcoming DVD later this year we might get just that.

The thought of a film,IMHO,being less than 2 Hours bothers me. I mean even though I only shelled out 6.50 for my ticket I would like it to last a long time....Anyway maybe the dvd will be longer. Take Care

15. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Dawn of the Dead
    9 of 10

Intensity from beginning to end. Gore for good effect. Emotional connection to the characters involved. This is what seperates DotD from your standard horror/monster flick, including the very solid 28 Days Later. Right away the film establishes real emotional consequences for our female protagonist and never lets up. From the moment you watch a zombie that is chasing a car down peel away to jump on some unknowing victim who has just wandered outside, you know the film is playing for keeps with these characters.

While the original version of the film dealt with consumerism as a sub-theme, what it and the two versions of Night of the Living Dead really centered on was the variety of reactions humans had to both the situation they were in and the human-like zombies they must "kill". This version of DotD centers around that and provides numerous subplots that explore the variety of reactions these people have, which includes the ability (or lack thereof) to disconnect with the human form of these monster zombies.

While the film displays tons of gore it is rarely glorified and many times the film actually steps away from the gore, cuts away quickly or allows it to occur off screen. The amplitude of the gore that is shown is what makes it "gorey", the film is as intense with its bloodshed as Saving Private Ryan rather than using the gore in a campy way. And that gives it an intensity similar to the opening of SPR, but throughout the film. When you do see someone killed it feels brutal and disturbing, not tongue in cheek like the original Dawn was or zombie movies in general usually are.

The characters are also well written, diverse, interesting, and of course well acted. Polley and Rhames especially shine in their roles, but the entire cast was good. Also the plot took far more shifts than the original film which helps keep you off balance throughout the film (not to be confused with cliched twists).

The score is outstanding and used to great effect. The tone of the film is perfectly set with the Richard Cheese lounge version of Down with the Sickness. Truly a beautiful sequence.

The direction choices are pretty good and the film could easily merit an editing nomination at the end of the year. The cuts have a lot to do with maintaining the intensity without slipping into MTV shock cut cliches. Just as much is implied to occur just seconds after a cut as is actually shown, which helps increase the fear factor.

In the end a comparison to Aliens may be more valid than Texas Chainsaw due to the action aspects of the film, but the film is still more horror than Aliens in my opinion and left me affected in the way that good horror films should. I wasn't terrified but I was captivated and emotionally pushed by the film.

16. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

I do want to mention to everyone, if it has not been clear from these reviews...STAY THROUGH THE END CREDITS!

17. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I think of this the way I thought of Resident Evil. While in no way does it match the original (or the game, as in RE), it was all right in it's own way. Nothing that will be remembered (at least to me) beyond next week, but somewhat fun at the time. It's about as memorable as most recent horror movies. No classic, but worth the time.

18. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

At first I was tempted to compare this with the original. I came out of the movie disappointed because of that. So, after a few days to let it sink in, I find myself rather liking this film. The most wonderful thing about this remake is you get to find out how it started. You really didn't get an understanding of that in the original. As far as zombie movies go, it is a little more believable due to the fact that these zombies can run as fast as an automobile. With that said though, I never did have a need for a zombie movie to be believable. The shaky camera effect did bother me quite a bit and seems a bit overused these days (ala 24, The Shield, etc.). All in all an enjoyable movie and fun to go with a bunch of friends. I gave it a 7 out of 10 on the IMDB.

19. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson

Yep, that pretty much sums it up all right.

There has always been something deeply disturbing to me about the whole concept of a human body still wandering even though the soul has long since vacated it. It's insulting, in a way, to humanity and all that is natural, as if we have been truly abandoned by God. The phenominon presented in every 'Dead' film, whatever it is, is making a mokery of humanity, turning people who were in life good, decent, kind and with strong moral fibers into in-human abominations that feel nothing now, and who's only desire is to tear the living limb from limb and devour.

This perception, more than anything, is where the dread and fear comes from for me in these types of films and the new 'DotD' feeds that fear is spades.

Being a long time fan of Romero's original, I had much doubt about this re-make when I heard about it about 6 months ago or so, I didn't much like the idea. Well, here it is 2 weeks after the new version opened and I have seen it now 3 times and want to go again! First time feature director Zack Snyder has crafted a re-imagined classic not seen IMO since Cronenberg did it way back in 1986 with 'The Fly'.

This new version manages to top the still great original in virtually every way possible and infuse it with the type of fear induced adrenalin found in the best of horror's past. The first ten minuets of the film should be studied in film school's as to how to craft suspense and put the audience through the wringer even before a single credit appears on-screen. Simply brilliant opening.

*********SPOILERS AHEAD**********

Sarah Polly awakens one morning to find that the world has decended into hell seemingly overnight. She watches as a little girl savagly attacks her husband in their bedroom, mortally wounding him. He dies, and within seconds is back on his feet again. But now, the man that Polly knew and was cuddling warmly up to in bed just moments before, now lunges at her with the ferocity of a rabid pit bull. She barely escapes the house and flees in her car, passing through a nightmare of burned out cars and houses, exploding gas stations and desperate pedestrians under siege by the re-animated dead.

The rest you know already from other reviews. Now, I must strongly agree with those with the beliefe that fast moving corpses are FAR more threatening than the slow dim-witted dead of Romero's vision. The walking dead as presented here are no turtles, they are savage creatures who sprint like Olympic track stars and attack with the ferocity of Roseanne Barr at an all-you-can-eat buffet after a 2 week fast.

They are truly and utterly something to be feared.

The suppoting cast is far more impressive than one would expect in a horror film, Ving Rhames is a strong presance here, as is Jake Weber, who really exudes a warm likable vibe. You care about these people, you want them to get to safety, even the charactor of 'CJ' who doesn't exactly warm our hearts at first but emerges a swell guy in the end. We even care for the poor man trapped on the roof of his gun shop accross the way from the mall even though we never really meet him up close, that's an amazing feat in ANY film let alone a horror film.

We care for him because this is how Snyder constructed his story, it feels real, and it's always treated as real, it never falters into horror film cliche', Snyder took his horror film seriously and that is what's been SORELY missing lately from the genre. Even '28 Days Later' couldn't maintain the steam it had built up in the first 40 minuets of it's running time which were sublime but rendered moot by the last half that left much to be desired for me. 'DotD' is what that film almost was.

In closing, Zack Snyder's 'DotD' is the 'Dead' film I as a fan have been waiting for for a long time. It's a guns-a-blazin, brains-a-flyin, rip-roaring smash of a horror film that goes straight for your jugular and doesn't fuck around. See it.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]'s out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]'s big time.

20. Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw Second Unit

Ok, I am late to the party but the film just opened here (in Mexico) so bear with me.

Most reviews of remakes fall into three categories 1) What it is... 2) What it isn't... and 3) What it could have been (with most other original films only falling into categories 1 and 3).

So I will tackle the 2nd on first- what it isnt. It isn't George Romero's Dawn of the Dead. And this is a good thing. I have said it before and I will say it again- Romero falls into the same category as Gene Roddenberry and George Lucas. They have some awesome basic ideas, but tend towards the cheesy, which undermines their works. If you see the original, you are confronted with some spectacularly bad acting (try to watch the scene where the SWAT guy is bitten and says "I'm dealin' with it man!!" without cringing). And some critics have slammed the lack of subtext, specifically the lack of critique on consumer culture. But really, what else need to be said here? Romero made his points, and they were good ones. But do we need to see a rehash of those same points? What else can one say given the set-up?

Number 1- What it is- A kick ass, scary as hell zombie movie!!! This one inspired at least two solid nights of nightmares for me, something the original never did. The fast-moving zombies are just scarier, plain and simple. If any film deserves the much-lambasted title of re-imaging this one is it. The only common ground is the mall, a cop figure, and a pregnant woman. Other than that, this one dares to go in a completely new direction, and the new ideas work for me. Introducing characters into the mall makes the survivalist aspect of the story more interesting. The original was much more claustrophobic and, to my mind, unrealistic- where the hell are the rest of the people dealing with this crisis? Here we see them.

Number 3- What it could have been. Ok, I really enjoyed the film, but one of the most interesting ideas of zombie films is the total disintegration of society. In this film, they get to the mall too quickly. I want to see more "all hell breaks loose" stuff. That sh*t is cool, bring more of it on!!!!! Also, the music is a bit too on-the-nose. A Johnny Cash death song? Ok, but it's a bit obvious. "A Lot of Poeple Who Died Died" (sorry I don't know the real title but you know which song I mean) waaaaay too obvious. An orchestral score of some kind would have not been as distracting.

Final thoughts- this works bigtime. I love zombie films. They really connect for me, but honestly, other than Return of the Living Dead and Dead Alive (Braindead) I have been left with a serious case of blueballs. Viva la living dead!!!! I am really happy to see a resurgence of this genre. It was a long dry spell, but finally the fans are sated!!