*** Official "DARKNESS FALLS" Review Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Seaver, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

It sucks. Well, it's got a few decent jump moments, and if you must have people calmly making wisecracks while a monster vivisects the town, you could do worse that Darkness Falls does. But, it's still a PG-13 rated horror movie with a stupid, stupid villain (the trailers at least implied cool creatures), a charicature-cute kid, horrible editing, stooooooopid dialog... It's just not good.

As much as I like Emma Caulfield on Buffy, I hope her future involves something better than the roles Amanda Peet turns down and Kari Wuhrer is too old for.

Also note that it's 85 minutes long, including the most... um... relaxed closing credits I ever recall seeing.

And a couple bits of nit-picking from someone who grew up in Maine, where the (non-authentic) license plates would have you believe this movie was set:

They refer to a character going back "upstate". No-one in Maine says "upstate". Why? Because there's nothing upstate but trees and potatoes, that's why!

Also: If you set a movie in New England - do not show the sun setting over the ocean! Sure, maybe I wouldn't have noticed these things if I were enjoying the movie, but that's what you have continuity supervisors and stuff for, right? I mean, would it kill you to sweat some details?

::sigh:: No, I can't say I enjoyed this.

[​IMG]¼

2. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Well, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. It was an enjoyable 75 minutes for the most part.

I thought the Tooth Fairy was a great monster. The porcelain (sp?) mask she wore and the weird sounds she made caused her to be pretty creepy, and I thought she looked groovy. Not a bad looking monster at all. The mythos is pretty nice, albeit cliched. Also, I love Emma Caufield!

On another note, the dialogue is about 50% "Stay in the light!", and that was rather annoying. Also, the action scenes weren't shot that well, and were hard to keep track of.

Overall, it was fun, but not great. I give it [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG].

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Darkness Falls". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

4. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Darkness Falls is obviously an attempt by Columbia to capitalize on the success of DreamWorks' The Ring. It wasn't until after I saw Darkness Falls that I realized how much I admired the atmosphere and entertainment value of The Ring.

Darkness Falls has an opening sequence that is fairly intense and creepy, but unfortunately the rest of the film is far from scary and the viewer can quickly lose interest. The film is overwhelmed by cheap scares such as black cats jumping suddenly out of nowhere, quickly opening doors, and loud unexpected noises.

The film is centered on "The Tooth Fairy," which apparently kills people that glance at her while she takes the last tooth that they lose. However, the film makes it seem as if the murder in the beginning of the film is the first one that has ever happened. The film later establishes that The Tooth Fairly can only kill while in complete darkness, but for some unknown reason she begins to attack every single person in the film, not just those whom have looked at her while she came to take one of their teeth. To me that makes absolutely no sense at all.

The action sequences in Darkness Falls are very dull and cliche. The attacks by The Tooth Fairy fail to scare because they are usually filmed so poorly that the viewer has no clue of what has just happened. The film also overuses the situation in which an actor says something like "we are going to be alright," then is suddenly killed.

In the end I wasn't too sure of what first time director Jonathan Liebesman was trying to do with the film. Darkness Falls is certainly more of an artistic attempt than last year's train wreck of a film known as FearDotCom, but that's not saying much.

[​IMG] (out of four)

5. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

I must be really mistaken here, but I don't believe that we have seen the same movie.

The movie that I saw this past Saturday afternoon was called Darkness Falls and had a Tooth Fairy in it and I enjoyed it. It wasn't great by any means, but did what it set out to do...and I wasn't at all upset that I gave it my money.

Then again, I have yet to ever stoop as low as giving my money to a film by the 'wonderful' thespians known as Julia Roberts, Tom Hanks, Adam Sandler and the like. We are all different you know...

6. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Darkness Falls (1.5 out of 5) - The worst kind of "bad" a horror movie can be is "boring bad", and this flick has the market cornered on stifled yawns and wristwatch peeks. Offers loud screeches and camera jolts in lieu of actual scares, the plot is something culled from 12 other mediocre thrillers, the cast is uniformly bland and forgettable, and the monster is (at best) an ineffective joke. Not surprisingly, this one was #1 at the box-office last week, which means I'll be able to repeat this review in 16 months when Darkness Falls 2: Fall Harder hits your local doodyplex.

7. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

You know what? I really wanted to watch this, but seeing as how the reviews are pretty scathing so far, I think I'll save 3.50 and watch something else.

8. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

D,

It's absolutely a rental, or maybe even a wait-for-cable.

Sure, there's always a chance you'll love a flick that very few others do...but I sincerely doubt this will be one of 'em. [​IMG]