*** Official "DARKNESS FALLS" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin_S, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Well, I'll be seeing this later tonight, and if anyone else sees it today, I'll come back here more than willing to discuss it once I'm back. [​IMG]

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Going to see it in T-minus 30 minutes.

I'm a sucker for horror films, so I cannot stay away, despite the reviews. I even saw Feardotcom. [​IMG]

3. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Are you sure it was 85, not 75? I thought I saw the shorter time listed in the paper today.

I reviewed the film (see link in my sig), although be forewarned I have little patience for the crap that passes for most horror films. It's worse than They, with which there are a few similarities. Is it too much for studios to put some time and thought into the horror films they release? Darkness Falls stinks.

4. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Mark Pfeiffer wrote:

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Darkness Falls" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Darkness Falls" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

6. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

FEARDOTCOM, Alex? Now there's an awful movie! DARKNESS FALLS was actually good and enjoyable in my opinion, and I don't listen to critics, as I like to judge films for myself. I disagree with them here, and think DF is nowhere near as bad as its been made out to be, and is really quite fun. Its definitely not the greatest horror film, but still.

Also, while I thought the Tooth Fairy was a pretty damn cool monster, I still think Steve Wang's original Tooth Fairy design was cooler and creepier, and its a shame it got scrapped.

7. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Not terrible, but Darkness Falls was pretty crappy. The opening was actually pretty nice, but the director jumped for the "harmless jump scare" button more often than a cabbie hits the car horn. Totally nullified any suspense that the movie might have gained.

It was pretty funny how they ditched the original requirement (you see her when she's coming for a tooth) and had her showing herself to anyone who would look.

They was a better stay out of the dark movie. But, at least it was technically competent, which I can't quite say for F.com.

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

9. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Rex, I completely agree. Bad as Darkness Falls is, I bet it will make money. You'd think someone would pay attention to The Ring, though, and learn that if you take the extra steps to make a better film, you'll draw in people besides the genre fans.

10. JonS

JonS Stunt Coordinator

I agree that hollywood should look at the success of The Ring and try to make more films like it. Atmospheric films that are actually scary. Although I think The Ring is an embarrasingly bad compared to the original, they had the right idea. Sadly, hollywood would rather remake films than come up with new ideas.

Also, I hated Darkness Falls. It was stupid and boring. Even though the film was approx 75 minutes, I felt like I was there for 3 hours.

11. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I absolutely loved "Darkness Falls" and in my opinion, would call it the best movie of the year. Of course, we are only in Feb, so my mind could easily change by the time December comes around.

I have seen "Final Destination 2," and while it's really great, I believe "Darkness Falls" is a smarter movie, therefore, I enjoyed it more.

Keep in mind, that my favourite genre of movies is horror, therefore, I will easily like any horror movie better than a comedy or drama for that matter.

"The Ring" was last year, and I would definately call that one the greatest movie of the year, because for me, it was, but now we're in a new year, and so far, "Darkness Falls" is the best movie.

12. Bill J

Bill J Producer

13. Arman

Arman Screenwriter

Count me in as one of those who hated Darkness Falls. It is one of the worst films that I've seen in theaters in a long long time.

A boring, cliche & stupid film + my theater viewing sucked big time due to the excessive screaming & laughing (to non-scary scenes) by the teenie boppers who sat near me.

Darkness Falls = F

14. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Well, I never claimed it was scary, because nothing in the world scares me (except for spiders, and there weren't any in the movie).

I really liked how the tooth fairy was afraid of the light (as she was when she was alive as well, because of her "condtiion.")

The other thing I liked is how she never went after anyone who didn't look at her, but everyone was too stupid not to look. Whenever she came after someone specific, the person who was with that someone would look at her, and of course, they would get killed.

I liked the whole premise of the movie, and even though I loved "Final Destination 2" it tried to complicate things way too much by trying to tie itself with the last movie. Another thing that didn't impress me about FD2 is that the girl who had the visions, kept on having visions before every single death. Devon Sawa's character in the first movie only had 1 or 2 visions, not a million visions like this girl had. Was she a full blown psychic?

They kept the plot of "Darkness Falls" very simple and easy to understand, so there are no confusions. I'm not saying I had a hard time understanding FD2, but they tried to make it complex and failed doing so.

15. JonS

JonS Stunt Coordinator

In Final Destination Devon Sawa's character did indeed have multiple visions. Of the top of my head, I can count at least 6. I thought the way that they tied in FD in FD2 was what made it a worthy sequel and a good movie. It showed that there was a point to this movie and it opened up a whole new bunch of exciting ideas and concepts about what happens when death doesn't get his job done the first time.

16. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Mitch Stevens wrote (post #14):

17. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I don't think it was quite like that Rex. Here self imposed rules apply to a mere handful of characters in the movie. The vast majority of the body count is on account of people who see her with no warning at all. There is no reason for someone chasing someone else in the woods not to look at a mysterious sound, and no way for them to connect it with the original Tooth Fairy story.

That was the main part about it that was so dumb, it doesn't even bother to follow its own rules.

18. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Sat through this stinker last night, definitely worst movie of the year so far. It made Ghost Ship look good.