*** Official "DARK BLUE" Review Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kirk Tsai, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

The trailer of Dark Blue really made it seem like a cheap exploitation flick. But after knowing some positive reviews came from Andrew Sarris and Ebert, I gave it a go. Pretty solid. There are some contrived points, but the movie has some fierce energy at times. And no matter how one views the movie, Russell is a joy to watch here. Time has made his rugged face more interesting, and he is a forceful presence in the movie.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Dark Blue". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

3. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

I saw it yesterday and loved it. Its so great to see Kurt get a role that he can really sink his teeth into. I'd rate it right up there with LA Confidential.

10/10

4. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

I was wondering what Kurt Russell was up to, heard him mention Dark Blue on the Golden Globes' red carpet, then a trailer, so the movie kind of sneaked up on me out of nowhere and instantly became the most anticipated film of early 2003 besides Dreamcatcher.

Dark Blue is the first great movie of 2003 that secured a place in my Top10 of this year and I'm sure nothing will push it out.

Simply, this is Snake Plissken in the real world, in the style of L.A. Confidential, set in 1991 during Rodney King beatings trial and its aftermath riots, with Training Day attitude. In other words, most excellent movie. Some people say it doesn't make you feel good leaving the theater, maybe, but for me, this is the most satisfying high I get from one.

Written by David Ayer (Training Day and upcoming S.W.A.T.), he is the new cool screenwriter to be on the lookout for, and directed by Ron Shelton (Tin Cup, Bull Durham, unconventional pick indeed), whose upcoming Hollywood Homicide with Harrison Ford is another one I can't wait to see.

Set 5 days before the Rodney King trial's verdict comes out and all hell breaks loose in LA, Russell plays Sergeant Eldon Perry, who is to be finally promoted to Lietenant in 5 days. We see him as kind of corrupt and streetwise, doing whatever is needed to get the "bad guys" out, faking evidence, manipulating facts and lies, covering for his buddies. One thing goes wrong with his new rookie partner, it sets a slew of things in motion, and he, his family, his "arch-enemy" Ving Rhames' life, as well as the chaos of the riot, everything implodes by the end of the film, and it's an awesome, incredible sight to behold.
    Finally someone made a movie that recreates the LA riots, destruction, and fires. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, it's very well acted on all counts, and is not an action movie at heart, as the trailer tries to sell it, but a deeply touching drama with complicated characters.
    You have to see it, this is the first great movie of 2003, and is bound to stay that way.

5/5 stars!

Top 10 of 2003 so far:
    1. Dark Blue
    2. ?
    ... [​IMG]

5. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

While the trailer makes Dark Blue look like a cheap throwback to 80s action films, the film is in fact quite intelligent (although the score does seem to be a hellish cross between jazz, 80s synthesizers and the score from The French Connection). Truthfully, the first half of the film is pretty standard fare, but in the second hour things really seem to come together. At first I didn't enjoy Kurt Russell's performance at all, but by the second half I thought he was absolutely fantastic. In comparison to other cop films, I would put it below LA Confidential and Narc, but on the same level as Ayer's previous Training Day. Overall, B-.

The scene where Perry's wife is leaving him was done very well. Seeing the look on Russell's face when his wife tells him, "Just say goodbye," as he realizes what a terrible person he's become was heartbreaking .

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

This was a good film, not a great film, but interesting in how cops can lose their souls within their "work".

The acting performances are what drive this tale, and they do a nice job, Kurt Russell returns to form in this film.

It's an entertaining couple of hours at the theaters.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.

7. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

I enjoyed the climax of the film and Kurt Russell's scenery chewing performance, but as a whole, I found the film lacking. Most of the dialogue scenes go on much longer than they should and the film lacks a clear style to set it apart from all the other cop thrillers. I found 2001's Training Day to be a much better film.

[​IMG] [​IMG] 1/2 out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]