What's new

*** Official "CROSSROADS" (2002) Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Crossroads". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "Crossroads" should be posted here.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
My favorite part of Crossroads has gotta be the guitar duel between Ralph Macchio's character and Steve Vai's character in the end of the film!
Man, it's just smokin'! You just know that Daniel-san's gonna get his ass kicked, and Steve Vai's taunting him, and the Devil's all laughin' and shit, and old Willie Brown is turning away from the scene--he's so embarassed.
And then, all of a sudden, Daniel-san starts playing that classical Bach-Beethoven-Mozart stuff on his guitar, and Steve Vai just turns around, all scared-like, and the Devil's smile just immediately melts away, and Willie Brown starts coming back around. And Vai tries to keep up, but he just can't hang with the Karate Kid. And it's over. Scratch lost. And then the party is on! Jam! That floozy is dancin' all over, and Miles Dyson is gettin' into it, and it's just on. Old Blind Dog's playin' the harp (you know, where he come from, you don't play no harp, you don't get no pussy). Rock and roll.
Oh, I almost forgot. Jami Gertz is hot.
:D
-mwb-

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Uh, Matt, you're talking about the wrong movie, but that's the same one I think of whenever this new Britney Spears film gets mentioned.
I pray that this (new) film will die a quick death, and I may get my wish if summaries from RottenTomatoes.com are any indication...

John Stone

Supporting Actor
, Daniel-san starts playing that classical Bach-Beethoven-Mozart stuff on his guitar
"Eugene's Bag Of Tricks" is actually a variation of Nicolo Paganini's 5th caprice. Steve Vai came up with the variations, and arranged it for guitar. Vai played all of the guitar parts in Crossroads (1986), except the slide stuff which was done by blues-master Ry Cooder.
To stay on subject, I think it sucks that films like Crossroads (2002) and Glitter will be/are out on DVD, while the cult-classic Crossroads (1986) is collecting dust somewhere. :rolleyes
Yeah, I'm bitter.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Uh, Matt, you're talking about the wrong movie, but that's the same one I think of whenever this new Mariah Carey film gets mentioned.

I'm not sure, but isn't this a britney flick? I, too, pray for a quick death for this flick. Waste of cineplex space and distracts attention from legitimate films heralded by Oscar. Well, maybe really won't distract any at all.

Matt,...I'm still pissed the soundtrack on cd never included the guitar solo at the end. I've never been able to find that masterpiece.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
John St...thanks for the info. It's been awhile since I've seen Crossroads...do you know what guitar solo I'm fuzzily thinking about? I really loved that piece. Is it performed by Steven Vai or Ry Cooder. Can I find it anywhere?

BTW...who is Nicolo Paganini? I only have a layman's understanding of classical musicians - so Vai did Paganini using a guitar?

I'm not too happy either that Crossroads has never been released on dvd.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Guys,
This thread is for discussing the latest Britney Spears opus "Crossroads," so please just bear this in mind. :)
Just to be safe, I edited both the offical discussion and review thread with a (2002) bracket so it doesn't confuse anyone!
Thanks!

John Stone

Supporting Actor
First, to stay on topic, I've heard that the new Crossroads (2002) sucks.
nearly said:
One of the greatest violinists of all time. Paganini was born in Genoa in the late 1700s. He was a true virtuoso.
Personally speaking, his playing had a big impact on me in the late 1980s when I was studying "neo-classical fusion" (neo-classical fusion is basically a fusion of heavy metal guitar and classical music. It was very popular in the 1980s around the time that I was first learning to play guitar. Artists like Yngwie Malmsteen and Paul Gilbert were among the best).

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
Even though everybody in this forum thinks it sucks (I'm one of them) not all critics hated it. Ew gave it a B+ and one of the critics from Fox said
Spears and her acting debut are wonderful
I have no idea what movie he was seeing since the acting is almost as bad if not worse than Glitter.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I'm well aware that everyone here is going to blister this film (most likely sight unseen). It's not a good movie (and I certainly didn't like it), but Crossroads isn't nearly as terrible as I expected. (Unfortunately, I'm familiar with the spate of pop star films, having seen Spice World, Glitter, and A Walk to Remember.) This is the best of the bunch, but that isn't exactly high praise.
If you really care, my review is here.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
probobly all of the "singing" parts were lip-synced so they would sound just like how they did on the CD.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Damn I just keep having bad luck with singers in bad movies. Mariah, Britney, what's the diffference anyway. Now that I've fixed that error, I can get on with my life...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks