1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

*** Official CONFIDENCE Review Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patrick Sun, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I happen to like grifter movies, but they seem to always follow a cadence in setup and delivery. "Confidence" has fun with the genre (though you know what is going to transpire, it is an enjoyable ride filled with misdirection), and I thought the cast had a blast with their roles in the film. If you enjoyed the trailer, I think you'll enjoy the film.

I give the film 3 stars or a grade of B.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Confidence". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

3. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

A solid con game and Ed Burns was really good as the lead confidence man. Good choices in the rest of the roles, although I was quite skeptical going in that they could make Dustin Hoffman menacing (which they did).

Foley's direction was occasionally distracting, but more often it was quite inventive and often funny (such as when they scope out potential marks).

A fun film to watch, and likely one that I would add to my list of good con artist films.

4. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

Saw it yesterday and enjoyed the hell out of it...one of the best heist movies I've seen in a while...with a...well...great cast that cant be beat...loved it...

5/5

5. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

The creators of Confidence and the pic itself look too overconfident about its story that they failed to check certain plot points to make sure that they work within the context of its overall con story. As it is, looks can be deceiving.

The film is to be enjoyed only within the confines of its 98-minute running time. Beyond that, any time invested in analyzing its finer points would reveal a few plot holes in its tracks and some rather unconvincing plot lines.

Everything here is so mechanical that one questions its viability and believability. It is possible however, that one can still enjoy this caper as long as they are able to overlook its mistakes including some unnecessary scenes and misplaced dialogue.

So while Confidence does not reach the cleverness of Nine Queens, the characterizations of House of Games and the greatness of The Sting, it can still be pure fodder while it lasts.

~Edwin ô¿ô