*** Official "CONFIDENCE" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Robert Crawford, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Confidence" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Confidence" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

2. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

So, nobody else saw this eh? Well, I can't recommend it, unless you're paying cheap for it or are willing to suspend disbelief like crazy. The acting is all pretty good, except for Rachel Weitz. I thought she was terribly miscast. I like Ed Burns, but he's a bit bland in this. Dustin Hoffman and an unrecognizable Andy Garcia were chewing scenery left and right, and they're the main reason to see it.

I like Con movies, and this Con is pretty good, but I walked out of the theater irritated and it finally hit me why. This is one of those movies where, in order for the Con to work, all the characters, especially the conned, have to follow the script. Not the script of the Con, but the script of the movie. In order for one thing to happen and come out alright, this other thing has to happen just so regarding the mark, and it always does. You can get away with that kind of thing if the rest of the movie has enough style and fire, and this one doesn't.

A character has to stick around just long enough, then leave at the right time, just before other characters show up who will blow the Con.

The first guy that was conned stayed in the bar, wanting the money, even though he heard the neverending police sirens. Then he leaves, gets in his car and ducks down JUST as the crooked cops pull up. Please.

An angry character weilding a gun has to talk just long enough, so that another character can show up and change the situation. Spoiler for something like this that happened TWICE:

Lupus should have killed Jake, but he talks and talks until Travis shows up to save Jake's butt. Then later, Travis is angry and should have blown off Jake's head, but he spends the whole movie talking and having Jake talk, until Lily finally pulls out her gun and "blows away" Jake. Double please!

How characers would act in real life just didn't seem very well thought-out, so I was annoyed rather than impressed. Well, I take that back. I was VERY impressed by Andy Garcia's acting and interested in Dustin Hoffman's character. Otherwise, I was disappointed mainly because At Close Range is a long-time favorite, as is Glengarry Glen Ross, and I was hoping for something as impressive from director James Foley. Those are both actor's showcases, and this one, in general, wasn't. Luis Guzmán didn't even have much to do. It's not a bad movie, and it's much better than a lot of what else is around, but that's not saying very much.

3. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

Maybe I'm just too forgiving of confidence game movies because it is one of my favorite sub-genres, but I rather enjoyed the film. Vickie, I'll vehemently agree with the events described in your second spoiler block above being a cliche that really looks weak under analysis, but the energy of the film at that moment as all of the elements of the main con were coming together allowed me to overlook it as it happened. You may have already given up on the film at that point.

As for the events in your first spoiler block, they take some time to show how the "marks" are chosen later in the film. Because of his weak character, they didn't expect Colby to hang around very long after the "murder", but for some reason he was slow to leave. The real purpose of the scene was to introduce Jake and his crew, so it had to be long enough to give them all something interesting to do. It would have worked better if the sirens hadn't been audible until right before he left.

My main satisfaction with this film is that I was surprised when the final secret (DO NOT READ THIS SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FILM) -

Andy Garcia being the inside man at customs

- was revealed. I was glad to finally have a film with a surprise that I hadn't seen coming for 20 minutes.

All things considered, Confidence doesn't particularly expand the genre or bring anything new to the table, but it kept me entertained for a couple of hours. Your ticket money could be spent on far worse fare.

Brad

4. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    I can't disagree with Vickie's spoilered criticisms, but like Brad, I enjoyed this one. It by no means is at the top of its genre, but as a matinee diversion it worked just fine. It moved briskly, and was quite funny in places.

The cast was fine all around. Burns was a bit bland, but I bring no particular expectations to the table for this actor, so no biggie. Hoffman stole the show as the King - yeah, he was chewing the scenary, but that's what was called for. I had no problems with Weisz, but then, hey, she can pick my pocket anytime! [​IMG]

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, Travis is a company man, and Price did give him the order to make Jake tell him how everything went down, so Travis was just doing what the boss told him to do.

I knew the Andy Garcia was in on it once "someone" was videotaping the cops in the park. The game of leverage was pretty fun in this film. It allows the gang to make the cops act like the marks they became.

Lupus was just over-confident because he works for "The King". He probably thought he was untouchable even when he spilled the beans to Jake.

6. Gary Q

Gary Q Extra

I’m looking forward to it. I like James Foley’s work, (well, “The Corrupter” was a bit disappointing, and “The Chamber” wasn’t very memorable either, but I think Chris O’Donnell ruined that one for me).
    But I loved “Reckless,” and “Fear,” though not many others did.
    His best work though: “At Close Range,” “After Dark My Sweet,” and of course the stellar “Glengarry Glen Ross.”
    Have fun, Gary

7. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

The more I think about this film, the more holes I uncover. In addition to the cheats that Vickie mentioned above, one only has to know how letters of intent, internal controls and significant cash transactions over $10,000 work especially on foreign banks to get an idea that the con laid out in the film is not as easy to pull off as it is far fetched.

~Edwin