*** Official "CONFESSIONS OF A DANGEROUS MIND" Discussion Thread-August Re-Release

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Damin J Toell, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    There doesn't appear to be an official thread for this yet, so I thought I'd start a discussion thread.

Anyway, I caught this yesterday after being thwarted from seeing About Schmidt (which was sold out). And I was floored. Upon further reflection, I have placed it as my number 1 film of 2002 (that I've seen so far). Sam Rockwell is simply amazing. I haven't heard any awards buzz about him for best actor, but he certainly gets a nomination for my favorite male performance, anyway. Kaufman's script was beautiful, and I felt he was able to recapture some of the spark of Being John Malkovich that I found missing from Adaptatation.. And, suprisingly, Clooney's direction was superb. The entire look of the film was great, as were various little set design tricks that allowed for some very interesting shots. The supporting cast, too, was a treat; it was very nice to see Rutger Hauer back in a serious role. With any luck, we might see a little revival of his career in mainstream American cinema.

DJ

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

We've must have passed each other in the theater, Damin (since there's literally only one theater in NYC where Confessions is playing). [​IMG]

I always have trouble picking a "top" film of the year, but Confessions is right up there. I laughed harder during the little "FCC compliance" scene than I have at anything else I've seen in a movie for a long time.

Who knew Julia Roberts would be more fun as a femme fatale than she ever was as a romantic lead? Barrymore is fantastic, Clooney lets his sinister side show, and if this picture doesn't put Sam Rockwell on the map, there's no justice. I've never read the book, but the script and the direction very carefully arrange things so that it's equally possible that Barris's story is true or an utter fabrication. Within that framework, it's a great variation on the classic story of a loser who wanted to be a somebody -- and this one succeeded in the unlikeliest ways imaginable.

There are going to be a lot of complaints about the image when this film hits DVD. The cinematographer was Newton Thomas Sigel, who's responsible for such off-beat looks as Three Kings. Not one shot in the movie looks realistic; it's all overlit and overexposed, and for large stretches of the film, I was sure it had been shot on digital video (though the credits indicate that it was shot on film). Every location looks fake, and every image could be the product of someone's fevered imagination. That's one of the film's strategies for keeping you guessing about how much of Barris's story is true.

M.

4. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it a lot, although I wouldn't put it in my top ten for the year.

I wonder how many HTF members were there yesterday. I was at the 5:20.

5. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Amateurs. [​IMG]

I was at the 11:10. First show of the (first) day.

M.

7. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

I saw it on the 22nd at a press screening. Excellent movie. It is without a doubt in the upper half of my top 10 for 2002.

8. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

9. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

I saw it on December 12th 2002 at a Promotional Screening
    which I got passes for from a Talk Cinema Screening the week before. I also saw the film again today in a sold out
    crowd. I also noticed the earlier shows too were sold out.
    It looks like this movie might end up doing pretty well
    after all. It's playing only at one theater like Adaptation was when it came out, but I bet this will change due to the success. What was it like for you guys?. This is also one of my favorite films of last year.

-Mike

10. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

The press screening I saw it at was also open to radio station contest winners and it was fairly empty. Of course it didn't help that they booked a huge theater and it was two days before Christmas. I'm hoping the radio station just didn't do a good job with the promotion. I'm definetely planning to check it out again now that's it open. Hopefully I'll have a chance to see it before it ends it's run otherwise I'm looking forward to the DVD

11. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

12. Robert Crawford

Robert
    There were a lot of people walking out from my screening that just didn't get this film which is based on what they were saying when they left the theater. Something tells me either you're going to love this film or you're going to hate it with not much middle ground of appreciation.

Crawdaddy

13. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

14. Adam Horak

Adam Horak Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'll be the first one in this thread to say that I really did not enjoy this film. A lot of you are saying the people who didnt enjoy it just didnt understand it, but I would disagree.

It recieved very few laughs at my theater and I certainly didnt laugh very much. I got the feeling at a lot of points that I was supposed to be laughing, but most of them just werent that funny.

I never cared about the characters at all. I didnt care whether Barris was insane or worked for the CIA. I didn't care about Drew Barrymore's character.

That said, this film was not without merit. Rockwell's performance was very good. I thought some of the cinematography was great.

I think I *got* this film just as well as anyone here, judging by the comments above mine in the thread. I just didnt like it. Different strokes for different folks...

15. Robert Crawford

Robert

I don't think we're saying that at all! What I'm saying is that a significant number of people don't know what to make of this film which would probably affect their enjoyment of it. It goes without saying that some people fully understand the film's concept, but still won't like it which is why film is subjective to individual taste and acceptance.

Crawdaddy

16. George Cifrancis

George Cifrancis Stunt Coordinator

George
    Just saw the movie tonight. I thought it was excellent and very funny. Sam Rockwell was amazing.

17. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I'm certainly no Miramax shill, but this odd little piece of news filled me briefly with a shining happiness that was almost immediately quelled by the knowledge that my life consists of little more than staying up late to report pointless movie news to disinterested insomniacs.

So yeah, I don't have much more info on this (I refuse to pay for Variety.com's 'membership' so all I'm left with is a one-sentence blurb on current events).

August sees the amazingly cool Confessions of a Dangerous Mind back in theaters.

See it and then tell me Sam Rockwell didn't deserve an Oscar nomination.

18. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Maybe I'll go see it for the third time. [​IMG] What an odd piece of news.

Jason

19. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

When is the DVD release?

I doubt my area will even have this when its due to be released sometime next month.

20. BarryS

BarryS Second Unit

I'm hoping that this film will play in my area, I'm really looking forward to seeing it. I may have to wait for the DVD, but it would be nice to see it theatrically.