What's new

*** Official COLD MOUNTAIN Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick G

Second Unit
Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Especially given her recent critical and commercial success, not to mention the fact that she's atop many "Most Powerful Actress in Hollywood" lists, how does Nicole Kidman take second billing to Jude Law in the upcoming Cold Mountain? Is her part significantly smaller?

Alvin.G.

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if they're following the book, then Law's part is bigger, but not by much. But since the plot revolves around his character, I don't see what the problem is in giving him top billing.
I wouldn't say that the novel revolves around the Iman character. I thought the story was equally weighed between both him and Ada. Without give too much away for those of you how haven't ready the novel (which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND
you all do:D ), it pretty much is a journey of both characters. I agree with Sean that Kidman has second billing pretty much because she's female. Plus, someone always has to be listed second, even if both actors are of equal importance. I haven't seen the movie poster, but is her name below Jude Law's? Now, that would be weird, because I'd imagine that the studio would of placed both their names at the same height.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Could be that she has second billing on some posters, and first on others. That's a pretty common compromise nowadays.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
On the web site Law, Kidman, & Zellweger are listed side-by-side. Looks like they are getting equal billing to me (and I would argue that both Kidman & Zellweger are bigger "stars" than Law).

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Maybe bigger stars, but not better thesps. Besides, I only covet Law's body.

The agents and attorneys worked this out in contracts long ago.

Paul Chi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I saw an episode of 20/20 last week where Barbara Walters interviewed Jude, Nicole, Rene, and the director about the film. The interview showed many clips from the film and it looks great and very worthy for an Oscar.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Cold Mountain" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Cold Mountain" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
In Brook's review, it is stated
It felt not so much like following a character's arc as, here Jude Law meets Philip Seymour Hoffman, oh look now Jude Law meets Giovanni Ribisi, and what have we here? Why its Natalie Portman, etc. etc.
It sounds a lot like the problems I had with "Thin Red Line." Very interesting, and very telling. I hope to see this film this weekend, and will post my thoughts here.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
R rating was very well deserved.

Great film...surprised that this one is turning into a "love/hate" film here.

Right now I would say this movie is a lock or near-lock for two nominations:

-Renee Zelwegger (Best Supporting Actress)
-Cinematography

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Agree with Chris on Zellwegger's nomination (or IMO win) for what she had done. I'm not so certain that I'd agree on Cinematography. It didn't strike me especially good as much as, say, Master and Commander.

Dan M

Second Unit
I live about 5 minutes away from the actual Battle of the Crater site here in Petersburg.

Looking forward to seeing this...

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Saw it on Monday afternoon. Loved it - first movie in a long time that brought tears to my eyes. Acting, writing, cinematography, the music - all top notch. Eastern Europe double quite well for the South!

I will say I hated the ending. I'm not one for conventional Hollywood happy endings every time, but I found Inman dying nearly invalidating the whole freaking movie. Yeah, yeah, the point is better a little while with true love than a whole lifetime without - I get it. I got it with Moulin Rouge (love it, BTW), got it with Titanic, etc. For me, though, Inman dying just felt too arbitrary: "Oh, let's make it really tragic and have him die at the end!" I realize it's based on the book, but my complaint still holds: Inman's death is a predictable cliche of love tragedies.

Also interested to see if others thought that Inman's brief sojourn with the Southern war widow (Natalie Portman) was essentially unnecessary. Don't get me wrong - I thought it was really well done, dramatic, and satisfying. But did it really add anything to the character we didn't already know? Did it accomplish something we HAD to see on screen? This scene - and some others - felt a bit tacked on, in an effort to be faithful to the source material, rather than include it for storytelling reasons.

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
Saw this for the first time this weekend. I enjoyed most of the movie, though I thought all the cameos were funny. But, I was very frustrated by the cliche ending. He dies after traveling a long way and they conceived a child the one and only time they were together.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
This film's ending has come up in the "Happy Endings" thread as an example of a BAD unhappy ending.

You're quite right - much as I appreciate realistic tales and movies that buck formula, Inman's death felt far more contrived than he and Kidman's character living happily ever after. I'd rather have seen something along the lines of "Wow, you're not what I've been dreaming of all these years, but I still love you and we'll make it work."

His "tragic" death felt very manipulative and forced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks