*** Official CLOSER Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Don, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Don

Don Second Unit

This Movie to me seemed kind of boring for the 1st Hour. and after that a lot More Happens. it takes place in london. Natalie portman known as Liz and Jane Jones in the movie Flys to London gets hit by a Taxi cab. and the rest takes off from there a Confusing Movie because it involves two couples. this movie should be coming out soon. Don,

2. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

What's the deal with the random caps, Don? Just curious.

I'm looking forward to this, and not just because of Natalie Portman playing a stripper. [​IMG] The fact that it stars four great actors (yes, even Julia!), is directed by perhaps the hottest director right now (Mike Nichols), and looks and sounds like something intelligent for adults.

3. Don

Don Second Unit

the reason for the Caps is because the letters were getting cold. actully i liked the way it looks. Zach go see the movie when it comes out the strip club does not actully show until i'll say at least a hour into the movie. the reason i was so-so with this movie is because it is almost confusing as to who is seeing whom. the acting is Excellent there are a few funny moments in it. i hope this helps but i dont want to spoil it for you go enjoy.

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

Seems like a lot of work for what is really kind of a hindrance to people reading your posts.

5. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

I heard that Portman had a full-frontal nude scene that Nichols cut from the movie... apparently she's still got enough skin showing in this film to make up for it.

Moe.

6. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    The review given doesnt really say much about the movie but I am looking forward to it.

7. Don

Don Second Unit

I Didn't want to Give away To Much of the Movie so that Others can Enjoy it Better. Don,

8. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

What a disturbing movie this was. Quite F*cked up actually. Still intriguing nonetheless.

Natalie Portman gets hit by a taxi, Jude Law helps her. Flash forward to a later time and he is flirting with a photographer even though he is in a relationship with Natalie's character.

It's basically one F*cked up love triangle...er...square!

There is a scene where Clive Owen is getting off on cyber sex with none other than Jude Law's character, only he thinks it's some chick. That whole scene was so random it seemed so out of place. Jude sends this guy to the Aquarium and sets him up to see Anne, Julia Robert's character.... I didn't get that whole thing.

Julia ends up with this guy even after discovering that he was sent there as a prank by Jude... didn't get that either.

So she is married to Clive, having an affair with Jude while Natalie is stripping. Jude leaves Natalie for Julia, who leaves Clive for Jude. Clive cons Julia into sleeping with him and she ends up back with CLive leaving Jude to sob his heart out to Clive, who suggest he go back to Natalie, who eventually sees what a tosser he is and goes back to New York!

Bizarr!

9. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Nice spoiler tags!!! [​IMG]

10. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I added spoiler tags. Having seen the play, I know the story.

M.

11. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

The closest comparison I can make of Closer is to the films of Neil Labute, namely In the Company of Men and especially The Shape of Things. The comparison does not favor Closer. Its images are prettier, the actors more intense, and the editing more startling, but the film offered me much less to think about than The Shape of Things, which was a movie that went beyond merely showing the ugliness of manipulation.

12. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Closer" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Closer" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

From EW, I gleaned that Clive Owen was the original "Dan" in the play when it was first played in England. Neat.

14. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

just saw Closer with my wife...
    good movie, different, Fresh is what is how i would describe it..very Adult...not a 'chick' flick, not a 'love' story either.

ps. Natalie Portman is delicious.

15. JayDerek

JayDerek Stunt Coordinator

with my marriage recently ending because she had cheated on me, this movie hit very close to home.

i mean even some of the dialogue was nearexact...

wow. the performances were fantastic I thought, but I came away from this movie not feeling that great.

~jason

16. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I kept thinking during the film that real people don't speak this way. Something about the back-and-forth verbal rhythms felt very written. However, I think the situations and CONTENT of the dialogue was interesting and believable. I can see Kirk's comparisons to the films of Neil LaBute in themes and tone.

17. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

Just saw this movie a couple of hours ago with my GF...much of the dialogue and situations hit home...She is upset; I also left the movie feeling not too great about things. The movie made me remember how shitty it feels when someone who "loves you" lies to your face...and with ease.

This emotional impact means this was a great movie...highly recommended!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Just got back from this, I thought it was excellent. The cyber-sex scene had me chuckling out-loud. Now all we need is a movie where a key connection between characters happens via the HTF!

Interesting dynamic with Natalie's character pretending to be someone else the whole time. In her stripper scene with Clive, as she kept insisting her real name was Jane Jones, I thought, "wait a minute, she came to London with no connections to anyone, maybe that really is her name." And sure enough, it was. Sort of a Usual Suspects-type revelation scene for Jude at the end, but it worked for me.

19. Brian_N

Brian_N Auditioning

This should be spoiler tagged as this revelation does not come until the end of the movie

20. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

Spoiler tagging is not a requirement for a discussion thread.