What's new

*** Official "CITY BY THE SEA" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "City By The Sea". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.
Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Do sons really pay for the sins of their fathers or is that just a myth? This film explores that question as well as the issue regarding people making a choice about commitment and responsibilities about family relationships. I really enjoyed this film and since Robert DeNiro is my favorite contemporary actor, I was glad to see him in a role that gave him an opportunity to showcase his acting ability again in a good dramatic role. Also, Frances McDormand, another favorite was very good as DeNiro's sympathetic girlfriend. James Franco was excellent in a possible breakout role as DeNiro's troubled son with good supporting performances by William Forsythe, Eliza Dushku, Patti Lupone, and George Dzundra. My grade for "City By The Sea" is :star: :star: :star: 1/2
Crawdaddy

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I would give this film a :star: :star: (maybe 2.5)/:star: :star: :star: :star: .
Overall, I was disappointed. The first 45 minutes were VERY slow. I didn't feel the story ever really grabbed me. I will say the the last half of the movie improved the film, overall. However, I didn't think Deniro was as great as he has been in the past. The movie had a little bit of a choppy feel as far as how the scenes were short and quickly moving to the next.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks