What's new

*** Official CHANGELING Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Clint Eastwood returns to the director's chair with a tale about a missing boy in 1928, and the mother who would not accept the boy whom the LAPD tried to pawn off as her son 5 months later. In this time period, the LAPD's leadership was rife with corruption and bullied anyone who tried to shine the light of justice on them. Angeline Jolie plays Christine Collins, the mother, who gets to sample the LAPD's menu of coercive tactics to get her off her mission to get the LAPD to renew their efforts to find her son. Jolie is solid as Christine, though she isn't really called upon to do much in the mid-section, besides looking concerned and anxious. She comes across as a bit unhinged, but only because the screenplay has her repeating lines over and over and over and over again, to the detriment of the emotional power in her words.

The screenplay by J. Michael Straczynski feels bloated, as the pacing felt a little too slow (for a 140 minute film), and I thought it could be tightened up a bit with the story it was trying to tell, even though it does not even dwell much on a possible suspect's past (motivation-wise) for the abduction of Christine's son, while giving us a truly off-kilter suspect to deal with for the remainder of the film, while the LAPD is confronted with public outcry over many of their tactics and overall demeanor in "protecting" the citizenry.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I can't believe that there isn't more discussion in this thread. This was easily one of the best films that I've seen this year along with "The Dark Knight", "Wall-E", & "In Bruges". Yes, it had a few flaws, but nothing that distracted from my enjoyment in the least. I may go back and see this one a second time and I haven't done that with either of the other films that I mentioned.

I would be stunned if this wasn't a best picture nominee and it would mean that there are some great films yet to come this year.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Changeling". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
absplumbing
Recent bookmarks