*** Official "CATCH ME IF YOU CAN" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Nathan V, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

2. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Yes, 1.85. Visually the film is pretty nice, good use of color (as the trailers indicate).

It's not a trick ending or anything. Just that there are moments in which the film could end, but doesn't. The reason it could end is that some theme has reached a conclusion. The confusion throughout the film over what the dominate theme is makes this "stumbling to the finish" effect happen.

Worse yet is that probably the lowest played theme/motif in the film is what the film actually ends on. Big mistake. I'm not saying it needed to end on something different because the reality of the story needed it to end when it did. Instead the problem lies with how the story was told up to that point. It seems much more focused on other avenues for most of the picture so that when those come to resolution the momentum is sucked away...yet the picture goes on.

I like all of SS recent work, though I saw some flaws in each of them. AI felt more Kubrick to me than anything, clearly all his storyboarding, etc, was the basis for what SS filmed.

Really, think about how much of a departure Minority Report was for SS in terms of visual tone and some of the rhythms in the middle of the film, the same thing can be said about CMIYC. It sure didn't have an ET, CE3K, SL, or JP look to it, if you will. No, SS goes down a different visual avenue with this film and really ties the look of the film in with the period in which it is actually occurring. To me this was one of the positives of his effort here.

And I'm not saying "bad film", I'm saying very entertaining film, worth the trip, but could have been stronger. Looking over some other reviews I noticed similar comments. Todd McCarthy's comment at RottenTomatoes especially matched my feelings about the film.

Walken is wonderful, some of his best work (a lot of subtle touches brought to the table here). DeCaprio carries much of the film as the story dictates he should. But then I've never doubted his talent and got everything I expected from him in this film.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Catch Me If You Can" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
    All HTF member film reviews of "Catch Me If You Can" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.
    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
    Crawdaddy

4. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Is this a remake of "The Great Imposter" (1961)?

The subject matter and the time period seems too great a coincidence.

5. Doug D

Doug D Stunt Coordinator

It's a real life story, and the movie doesn't start following the story until 1963, so I doubt it.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert

The films are based on real, but two entirely different people. The film "The Great Imposter" was based on the life of Ferdinand Demara who impersonated different professions during the 1940s to 1950s era. Some of his impersonations according to the film were as a doctor in which he actually conducted medical operations and he served during the Korean War as a military officer with false crendentials.

The person in "Catch Me If You Can" is Frank Abagnale who was mainly a check forger who bilked several banks and businesses out of millions of dollars during the mid-to-late 1960s, while also flying for free all around the world by impersonating an airline pilot hitching a free ride to different cities, though he never actually flew a plane. He was actually a teenager during much of his criminal activity until he was caught by the FBI.

By the way, I think "Catch Me If You Can" is a very good film. It's a character based film with some wonderful performances by DiCaprio, Walken, and Hanks. Hanks gives another understated performance and his New England accent was better than most I've heard from actors over the years. I loved the fatherly type relationship between the criminal and the man trying to bring him to justice.

Crawdaddy

7. Lee J. Buividas

Here all the local theaters are not showing Catch me if you can" today.

Did something happen to this movie? I have never heard of anything like this before with such a big movie.

Lee J. Buivdas

8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    This movie opened on Christmas Day. Such movie openings have occurred on Christmas Day over the last several years.

Crawdaddy

9. Lee J. Buividas

What I mean here is the movie played at these theaters on Christmas Day but this movie is not playing today Dec 26 for some wierd reason anyone know why??? I guess I will drive over to the theater (or theaters) and find out why?? It is not just one theater but several all in the same area here in Northern Va

Lee J. Buividas

10. Lee J. Buividas

Moderator remove my posts if you desire or move them to a proper place on this site. I drove over to the local theater and the movie is playing and The Washimgton Post has screwed up at 3 times this last week and that is just the movies I wanted to see. this was the worst, printing this movie was not playing today not at just one theater but a bunch of them in northern va. Of course you can't call because all you get is a recording and you don't know if that is even true and besides it takes all day to listen to the movies and times, easier and quicker to drive to the theater and find out. ha ha ha ha

Lee J. Buivdas

11. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Theaters generally do two or three different things:they have weekend playtimes and weekday playtimes; the weekday playtimes can vary from day to day or are adjusted for whether or not kids are out of school;
    they show all the movies at all the same times all seven days, changing them only on fridays, or for the occasional wednesday, if they change on wednesday, they use the same times for thursday. the last one is what my mulitplex does. theaters notify the paper of the times, wednesday openings could throw things off, because the paper could make a mistake and print the schedule from the previous weekend, as they would normally, if there wasn't a wednesday opening, on thursday.

it's probably a printing mistake and the papers fault, they should have printed the wednesday schedule for today (thursday) but they didn't and printed the schedule they used for monday and tuesday instead.

Adam

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Spoilers below:
    How many hookers just happen to have $400 in their bra and are willing to take a cashier's check and make change? [​IMG]

13. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Patrick,
    To answer your question, a rather expensive call girl. That's quite a bit of change back in 1967.

Crawdaddy

14. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

(whiny aside: I wish I had an automatic filter that would zap all posts with the terms "too long," "fell asleep," and "looked at my watch" before I have to suffer through reading them. Everybody fancies themselves a freakin' editor instead of taking movies as is. I had to suffer such comments regarding FOTR, The Two Towers, Solaris, Gangs of New York, among several dozen others, now Catch Me If You Can. Someone just said elsewhere that the Coen Brothers' movie The Man Who Wasn't There is too long. Jesus palamino! Maybe all movies should be 45 minutes. I wonder if THAT would satisfy folks with short attention spans and tiny bladders.)
    Excellent movie. Not too long. Lots of fun. DiCaprio great. Walkin great. Hanks great. Killer opening titles.
    Frank Abagnale has his own website and this is what he says about the book and the movie:
    ========
    Comments from Frank W. Abagnale Concerning the book and the film, Catch Me If You Can.
    I feel it is necessary to make the following statements concerning the book and the upcoming film, Catch Me If You Can. The reasons for these statements are to provide clarification and accuracy.
    I wrote the book, Catch Me If You Can, more than 23 years ago. Obviously, this was written from my perspective as a 16-year old with the help of a co-writer (I'm now 54 and I sold the movie rights in 1980). I was interviewed by the co-writer only about four times. I believe he did a great job of telling the story, but he also over dramatized and exaggerated some of the story. That was his style and what the editor wanted. He always reminded me that he was just telling a story and not writing my biography. This is one of the reasons that from the very beginning, I insisted the publisher put a disclaimer in the book and tapes.
    It has been reported that I had written $10 million, $8 million and $5 million worth of bad checks. The actual amount was $2.5 million. I was never on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted List as this is reserved for very violent criminals who pose a threat to society. All of the crimes I committed were when I was between the ages 16 and 21. I served time in prison in France, Sweden and the United States. In the U. S. Federal Court, I was sentenced as a youthful offender because of my age at the time the crimes were committed. Even so, I was given 12 years of which I served a total of 5 years. This was considered harsh punishment then and almost unheard of today.
    I have been married for over 25 years and I am the proud father of 3 sons. When I was 28 years old, I thought it would be great to have a movie about my life, but when I was 28, like when I was 16, I was egotistical and self-centered. We all grow up. Hopefully we get wiser. Age brings wisdom and fatherhood changes one's life completely. I consider my past immoral, unethical and illegal. It is something I am not proud of. I am proud that I have been able to turn my life around and in the past 25 years, helped my government, my clients, thousands of corporations and consumers deal with the problems of white collar crime and fraud.
    I know that Hollywood has made a number of changes to the story, but I am honored that Steven Spielberg, Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks participated in the making of the movie inspired by my life. It is important to understand that it is just a movie . . .not a biographical documentary.
    Frank W. Abagnale
    September 3, 2002
    =========

15. Lee J. Buividas

I was really looking forward to this movie and what I saw IMO very bad Hitchcock. With all the talent in starring and making of this movie it just didn't deliver. Of course my expectations were high which sometimes hurts when you see a movie. Although I had high expectations for Gangs of New York and that movie exceeded my expectations. OH well, overall, not a great season for movies this year.

Lee J. Buividas

16. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I generally feel the same way. I love the man's (SS) work. Leo, Walken, and Hanks were great. However, the film didn't flow well, and as was mentioned before, it could have ended in several places. However, Catch Me If You Can was a let down for many because we all saw the great reviews (107/111 fresh at RT !!) and got our hopes up. Nevertheless, I still thought it was above average. If fact, this is one movie that people will watch a second and third time and like more and more with each viewing. Sure, the beginning was slow and the ending was meager, but for the most part, Catch Me If You Can was full of memorable lines, great scenery/attention to detail, and nice music by John Williams. My only gripe...did they have anti-glare coating on glasses back then (thus making them shine green)?! NO! Same thing happened in Goldmember with the flashbacks of Austin's youth.

17. FilipM

FilipM Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone here ever just sit down and watch a movie anymore? What are you all amatuer film critics who just watch for flaws? Now I have nothing against ripping apart an obviously bad movie but some of you here with your major dissapontment comments are just a bit overblown and dramatic. Was this ever supposed to be a picture of the year type? Nope its a fun entertaining movie, a sort of comedy even, so let it be and enjoy the fine performances by some of our better and best actors and director.
    The place I saw it in was packed, people were even sitting on the stairs and everyone was having fun. In fact I'd say it was one of the most fun movie experiences I had in the past few years, the whole place was enjoying the movie, laughing their asses off and having a damn good time. Most evryone applauded at the end.
    So put down the fancy movie critic getup, wear something other than black and remember when movies were fun...
    Damn good fun! [​IMG]

18. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I'm with you. This was a very fun movie but with serious undertones that I appreciated. I don't think it would have been appropriate to cut it down to make it zippier.

19. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I disagree also. c'mon Minority Report was off the hook! Think of all the great popcorn flicks this year: Star Wars, Spider-Man, LOTR....how bout the smaller ones like Punch Drunk Love and The Bourne Identity. Mel Gibson delighted this year as well with We Were Soldiers and Signs. Maybe the above criticism is because of all the stinkers. Swimfan?...gimme a break!

Staying on topic, Catch Me If You Can was perceived as the "year-end show stopper". This wasn't the case for many. It's a cool film; as one person said: It's not funny enough to be a comedy, not serious enough to be a drama, and not clever enough to be a caper....I take this as a good thing which makes the film unique.

20. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Catch If Me If You Can is a very good film. Somehow, my fault I guess, I expected a more light hearted film at least from the trailers. I didn't expect fluff, but more light hearted and comedy...But this film was indeed serious and had some heavy messages. Very well done and one of the better movies of 2002. Both Leonardo, Hanks, and Walken deliver knockout performances.