What's new

***Official Buffy Box Set Season 1 - 7 Discussion Thread (Spoilers ahoy!)*** (1 Viewer)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I must admit that reason 1 (1. It's called "Buffy the Vampire Slayer.") is one of the reasons I had never checked out the show before this year. I had never seen the original movie but I sort of knew what it was about. I just saw the movie a month or so ago and - man - is it light-weight compared to the series.
I always got the impression that what went wrong with the movie was that the producers felt they had a female answer to the Bill & Ted movies. Something very campy. "Hey look at the ditzy SoCal girl mingling with all this weird stuff!" Obviously Joss had more dramatic intentions for the story :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Just finished the Season 2 box. I'd forgotten how much I love Drusilla. I hope Juliet Landau gets a few scenes this season.
And what was with her makeup in that one scene near the end of the season when she was feeding on the scientist guy who was examining the demon tomb that had been excavated (Angel: "Dru. Save me some.")? That was far beyond her normal "vamp" appearance. Man, talk about nightmarish.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I meant the current season (7). Good to know we'll have more Drusilla.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Rumor has it that the upcoming Season 3 box is only 4 discs. Seems kind of ominous, since the Season 2 has 6 discs, and the video quality was kind of sketchy already.

Was Season 3 strike-shortened or something? Enough so to cut 2 discs?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Glad to hear it. Though they seem to have managed to fit 22 episodes of "Mad About You" on only 2 discs, so I thought perhaps TV shows were starting to get ultra-compressed.

Scott Barnhart

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I have a couple of questions about the currently-released Buffy DVD's:
1) Why do some episodes start with "In every generation there is a chosen one..." (or something like that), while some don't? At first I thought it had to do with which episodes advanced the overall story arc vs. the episodes that were more filler, but I haven't really seen a pattern.
2) Does anyone know if on the DVD's the end of the intro. credits is right at a chapter stop, and if not, why not? When I first started watching S1, I always hit "Chapter Skip" when the intro. credits start. But then on one episode, I noticed I had skipped past where the episode started up again, so I am now afraid to ever skip the intro and always watch it. Does anyone know about this for sure?
I can't wait for S3 - I am about 1/3 of the way thru S2 for my 2nd time - hopefully I can stretch it out to last until Jan 7! :)

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
I couldn't wait for the Region 1 releases so I bought a region-free DVD player and Seasons 3 and 4 from Australia (and Angel Seasons 1 and 2). I blew through it all in about a week... So far, I think Season 2 was the best (out of 4) and Angel is entertaining but not riveting imho.

Anyone know the reason why Seth Green (Oz) left Buffy? Or why they:

killed off Doyle so quickly on Angel?

Thanks!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Mad About you is half an hour, Buffy is an hour. Biiig difference in how many eps/disc you can fit
) Why do some episodes start with "In every generation there is a chosen one..." (or something like that), while some don't? At first I thought it had to do with which episodes advanced the overall story arc vs. the episodes that were more filler, but I haven't really seen a pattern.
At first it was an intro to the show, then it because something you use when your ep runs a little short ;)
Seth Green was ordered by the leave the show after he kept getting movie offers. Same thing with Eliza Dukshu, it was mostly a case of "Go do movies you fool!" :) Seth will be doing commentary on his last episode with Joss and Marti Noxon, live from Buffy's living room on the R1 S4 set.
Angel Season 2, like with all Joss series is where the series gets good, and in Season 3 is EXPLODES. Season 3 is a MASTERPIECE and apparently it's going to be a great DVD set as well.
Contrary to popular rumor, Doyle's removal had NOTHIGN to do with cocaine. Doyle was always planned to die in episode 8, Joss wanted to show that he's not afraid to kill off a main titles character. I still miss him :frowning:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mad About you is half an hour, Buffy is an hour. Biiig difference in how many eps/disc you can fit
I know it's an hour vs. half-hour, but "Friends" is also a half hour and is only 5-6 eps per disc and "All in the Family" was only 4 eps per disc.
"Mad About You" with 11 eps per disc seems to be pushing the limits, which is why I was concerned that S3 of "Buffy" might be 6 eps per disc. But you say it's not, and if you can't believe the High Priest, who can you trust? :D

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't see this posted elsewhere, so I'll offer it here:
Amazon.com has Season 3 up for pre-order, as do many other online sites.
However, Amazon has cover art:

Anyone know if this is official?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's official off of Fox's site, remember the season 2 artwork changed at the last minute.

Still an ugly Photoshop montage, better background tho

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
New Buffy fan here:).
A friend of mine got me into the series and I'm freaking hooked now. Just finished the season 2 box set last night.
HOW COULD THEY KILL MY GIRL! (Miss Calendar). I was in love with the woman and they took her from me:frowning:.
I can't get over how well written the show is. You can't hlep but care about the characters. Can't wait for season 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks