What's new

*** Official "BRUCE ALMIGHTY" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
I barely laughed at this movie. It was mediocre comedy at best. Most disappointing movie of the year so far for me.

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, but felt like I had seen every gag in the film in one of his other movies...

The parts where he let the emotion shine through (hurt, funny, crazy, etc., but in a believable setting) are where Jim Carrey astounds, in my opinion. There were several forced gags that, while funny, felt like retreads.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
I'd say there were more than one in each.

I also found this to be a very blah movie. I think it would have been MUCH better served by having someone other than Jim Carrey do the lead role. Way too much mugging, especially early on. I laughed twice in the first 2/3 of the movie (the jibberish anchor and the Hoffa reference, which most people in the theater didn't get), and thought the last 1/3 was decent.

I'd recommend it to Carrey fans though.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Finally got to see this last night. Certainly not as slapstick as most of his films, but still quite enjoyable, :star: :star: :star: our of :star: :star: :star: :star: .

What happens when you are a vain, borish jerk and you are not given your richly deserved due? Of course you throw a hissy fit and disrespect everyone and everything that has been pulling for you for years. A girlfriend, so cute and dedicated that you continue to string her along and miss the obvious signs that she is ready to nest. Your employer and more importantly your public who have given you a job and their support. And of course God whom you don't seem to give acknowledgement and credit for your success, but whom you blame for your shortcomings.

Carey is a good choice for Bruce because you can't really dissasociate your opinion of him from his previous highly energistic portrayals of over the top characters. He does reign in his performance a bit - for Jim - but you still get to laugh at his characterization of Bruce as a victim. Carey has the ability to portray his characters as borish jerks in most films and then win you over by his change to a caring guy after an exposure to his circle of friends - or God here - who love him inspite of himself.

This is a nice little film, but not the stuff that will make your side ache.

I saw this one on Saturday. I liked it. I can't see it settling all that well with people who don't draw from a Christian background, but maybe they can just appreciate it for the comedy aspect.

Contrary to the opinion of several who have posted, this does not strike me as a Christian theme. For the simple reason that there is no reference to Christ in the movie. Our God buddy, Morgan Freeman, could be the recognized by Christians, Jews, or Muslims. Because we have a large Christian population in our country it is easy to credit or discredit any film with a hint of a religeous context as Christian.

The moral and lessons learned here by Bruce don't have to be in a religeous context. Bill Murry in Groundhog Day went through a similar process from jerk to caring convert so enjoy the message and appreciate the performances.

Gary Smith

Auditioning
Did anyone else catch the slip of the tongue when the female news reporter (Susan?) mis-pronounced "co-worker".

Made me laugh, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks