*** Official "BROWN SUGAR" Review Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Crawford, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Brown Sugar". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
    Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
    If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.
    Crawdaddy

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    After work, I decided to see this film not knowing much about it except it stars one of my favorite young actresses Sanaa Lathan. Well, I must say I was pleasently surprised on the quality of this romantic comedy. The film evolves around Sidney/Sanaa Lathan and Dre/Taye Diggs, two young professionals who have known each other since early childhood with both growing up in New York City during the explosion of the hip-hop music era. Fast forwarding to today, she is now a music critic while he is a record company executive. Though, they've been best friends since 1984, nothing romantic has ever occurred between them. When Sidney moves back to NYC after leaving her job as a music critic with the Los Angeles Times to be the music editor for a hip-hop magazine, the emotions start to become confused because Dre is getting ready to ask and marry a lovely lawyer while having some doubts about the direction of his record company career.
    The supporting cast includes Queen Latifah, Mos Def, Nicole Ari Parker, and Boris Kodjoe. Of course, like most romantic comedies, the supporting cast has some of the best lines and moments from the film. Mos Def's recollection of the final scenes of Casablanca had me laughing out loud.
    This is just another example of recently fine films that are being produced by Hollywood starring a predominantly African-American cast and it really struck a chord with me on how much emotions can become confused, when two people who grew up best friends realized that maybe, their best friend is the soul-mate they've been searching for in their adult life. I had a great time watching this film and I'll probably see it again before it's theatrical run is done. I give it a solid [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of a perfect four stars.
    Crawdaddy