1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

*** Official BROTHER BEAR Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Robert Crawford, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Brother Bear" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Brother Bear" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

So, I took the boy to see Disney's "Brother Bear" this weekend.

[review mode]
    The movie's okay.. kinda slow.. animation is right on, though. Some of the material is a little too deep for a 4 year old. Having Tina Turner sing the theme sounded a little cheesy to me... especially since every follow up song was done by Phil Collins. (does Disney own Phil Collins now?)
    [/review mode]

Anyway, the thing I noticed is the aspect ratio changes part way through the movie. At first, I noticed it was in what looked like a 185:1 ratio and then once the boy becomes the bear, the film changes to 235:1. (at least I think that's what the ratios were.. perhaps it was a 133:1 to 185:1.. but it seemed wider than that to me) The reason I noticed is because I noticed the "black bars" on the sides of the screen at the beginning of the show and thinking: "jeeze, they could have moved the curtains in to cover that up.. cheap theater".

I realize this is probably the director's choice to emphasize a point in the film. Like when Dorothy lands in OZ and the film changes to color. Although this was less dramatic.. I mean.. there isn't an enormous difference between 185 and 235. I didn't even notice the change right away... and it seems to happen well into the movie (about 15-20 minutes into it).

On the way home I got to thinking how that will be handled on the DVD. Will there be black bars on all sides of the picture at the beginning? Or will it be a standard 16:9 frame and then black bars will show up on the top and bottom when it switches to 235?

Are there any other films that change ratios midstream and how is that handled on a DVD?

3. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course did that and they really screwed up the dvd release, IMO.

All of the 'movie' parts were shot 2.35:1, and all of the 'crocodile show' parts were shot 1.85:1. I think it was that way, or reversed. But anyway, anything that was 1.85:1 was windowboxed all the way around. Black bars on all sides. This was through nearly all of the movie as 2.35:1 footage wasn't shown that often. [​IMG]

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Big thread about this already in progress somewhere...now if I could just remember where I left it....:wink:

5. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Discussion thread? OK, I pretty much HATED this one.

Discuss that! [​IMG]

It just irks me that Disney will come out and announce the "official extinction" of traditional animation...and then their final contribution to the medium is something so faceless, lifeless, formulaic and banal.

I think it's Disney's stunningly low-minded devotion to the exact same formula that's doomed 2-D animation. Give people a good story and they'll see your movie. The TYPE of animation is secondary to creating a film that people want to go see.

8. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS (1956) and MAD MAX also began with a square image, then opened out to 2.20/2.35 respectively.

I am absolutely stunned that Disney's decision to eliminate cell animation from their schedule isn't receiving more reaction. Even Ebert barely mentioned it in his BROTHER BEAR review. This is the studio that gave us at least a dozen bonifide classics of feature animation, a studio which only occasionally (ROBIN HOOD) laid an egg or released a title which wasn't at least interesting and artistically innovative. Now, with as recent a huge hit as LILO AND STITCH, they are calling it quits on this glorious art form? I started a thread about this a few weeks back and had only a smattering of replies. Am I simply being too sentimental, or is this truly a monumental loss in the future of animated films in general?

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

After we have a string of computer animated box office crap bombs, people will start reminiscing...."Hey, remember when they made great animated films like The Lion King, and Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin? Those were so much more warm and visually interesting than these cold, mass-produced computer animated films we get all the time these days. I wish they'd make some more like that again."

Then, eventually, some high-ranking executive will overhear this discussion in the theater, or on the street, or via some "market research," take the idea as their own, and open a traditional, 2-D animation department at their studio.

And all will be right with the world once again. The circle of life goes on.... [​IMG]

10. David Brass

David Brass Agent

11. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

The Horse Whisperer also changes aspect ration when they are in the city vs. country [​IMG] Right after or at the accident scene.

12. PaulP

PaulP Producer

13. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Agent

The beginning of "Magnolia" has an aspect ratio change also. It opens with black & white Lumiere style (hand cranked camera?) and switches to 2.35:1.

14. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Thanks for the correction, Paul. You are indeed correct. And after checking out the trailer for Home on the Range...I think it could be pretty good! I never really thought that about Brother Bear.

15. Shane S.

Shane S. Stunt Coordinator

Saw the movie today with my daughter for her birthday. I can't say I liked it but my daughter did so it wasn't a total loss. The Moose were cool.
    The aspect ratio thing bugged me from the very begining worst part was, the theater I saw it at had something going on where the right side of the screne was leaning in. I was extremely relieved when the ratio switched.