What's new

*** Official BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The L.A. Film Critics Association named Brokeback Mountain best picture and Ang Lee best director, all of which should help with the marketing.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
According to Variety, the Boston Society of Film Critics has also selected Brokeback Mountain as best picture and Ang Lee as best director.

M.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
American Film Instittute named it an official selection of 2005. It received 8 nominations.

The numbers this morning say it made $545,000. in 5 theatres and they are saying that is very good.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Got the NY Film Critics award, Best Picture, with Heath as Best Actor.

A movie about human beings who fall in love and feel some pain and regret? Must admit (not having seen it), this one is sure welcome this year (to me) amid the Batmans, Kongs, Star Warses, Harry Potters and Fantastic Fours.

:)

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
limited release numbers are pretty deceptive.

Those 5 theaters are probably strictly arthouse theaters that have full showings every week..Wide release won't even be close to that per theater avg.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The three of them that are in NYC are all part of major chains: two Loews and one Clearview. And while no one's seriously suggesting these kinds of per-theater averages will apply in wider release, the fact remains that they're significantly higher than the usual limited opening.

I discovered just how much interest this film has generated by watching the Loews Lincoln Square sell out an 11:15 a.m. show on Saturday morning. First time I've seen something like that in many years of catching limited releases on a weekend morning. (And no, I didn't have tickets when it sold out. :frowning: )

M.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

I saw the film at the Clearview Chelsea Cinemas theater on a Sunday 12:45 showing, and it was pretty much a packed house, with a long line of people waiting outside the auditorium. Pretty impressive for a limited release.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
I'm very much looking forward to seeing this film, which will open here in January.

The above comments in this thread were made in jest, but still it seems print reviews and other publicity for this film are rather apologetic as if they expected readers to be offended beforehand. I hope this won't matter and people will still go to see this movie.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

All showings sold out in S.F over the weekend too. There was an article in the paper this morning with the theatre owner saying he cant remember the last time this happened and ta boot they added two midnight showings that sold out as well.:emoji_thumbsup:

RafaelB

Second Unit
I just found out that I'm going to a sneak preview of it tonight. I'm going to be in line at least 2 hours before showtime.

Rafael.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's supposed to go wider in January, Buzz. I wouldn't get too frustrated just yet. They were talking at least 300 screens, but with all the awards recognition and potential box office, the studio said they may go even wider.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Yeah. The Chelsea Clearview in NYC sold out by 12:00 noon for showings at 10 pm.

A group of us got to see it at the Village Loews.

While I agree that limited releases aren't really accurate for a larger scale, they ARE very good numbers regardless. Obviously the average will drop significantly when it goes wider... but the fact that it's opening slowly will likely help the film, imho.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I guess Robert there are always those nay-sayers who are trying to discount how important the movie is and how much it made.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
How important it is? That's what gets me about politically correct/zeitgeist movies like this. I mean, it's an ok movie, elvated by Ledger's perf; but, why is it important and, say, "Making Love" from 1982 wasn't important? (similar plot points to Brokeback) Or "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" wasn't important? (a movie, IMO, better than Brokeback)

Nope...it's not about quality, it's about timing. Anyone remember "Far From Heaven"? It was "important" too...or so everyone said. It was a critics darling - NY and Chicago Critics Best Pic and more. And, it's barely a footnote only 3 years later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks