What's new

*** Official "BRINGING DOWN THE HOUSE" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Holy crap I just saw the preview for this movie and all I can say is...................Im spechless. Steve what have you done. This movie looks so damn stupid, Who wants to see HIP-HOP Steve Martin and the black woman that opens their eyes to all of the injustices in this world. Havent we had enough of these movies.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
It may look stupid, but the trailer had a *huge* reaction in front of Chicago at the cinema I went to. Lots & lots of laughs from the audience.

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
I was thinking the same thing Jeff. I kinda bet though
he just signed up for it because he isnt as big as he
used to be and just wanted to make some more movies.
I just wished he would be more selective next time.

-Mike

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I laughed quite a bit while watching the trailer. I guess I'm just stupid as far as your opinion is concern.:thumbsdown:

Crawdaddy

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'll be back with a report in a few hours!

You all know how much I adore the work of Steve Martin, so I'm half-excited / half-scared.

We shall see.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I've seen the trailer several times (probably in the area of ten times), and each time it never fails to get a terrific reaction from the audience. I've tired of the trailer from the repetition, but this film is going to be a big hit. It has more promise than a lot of the upcoming comedies *cough*It Runs in the Family*cough*.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
SHIT!

Was this an awful movie.

Here we have a 'race comedy' written and directed by two white guys and the movie's about nothing more than horribly ugly 'white people are stupid' humor. My blood was boiling throughout the entire movie.

The characters repeatedly try to hide Latifah from other white people, and I was reminded of similar scenes from Harry and the Hendersons. Only now we've evolved; it's not a Bigfoot we need to hide - it's a BLACK WOMAN that everyone's afraid of.

Betty White and Joan Plowright easily hit the dregs of their career with what they're forced to say in this movie - and poor clueless Eugene Levy. Ugh...I shudder to even recall what went on in this wretched flick.

Ugly, awful, stupid and pointless. Steve Martin should be ashamed.

Lowell_B

Second Unit
SHIT!

Was this an awful movie.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Everytime I see trailers for awful looking movies like this for the first time, I am completely and utterly dumbfounded by the seemingly endless supply of crap that Hollywood puts out.

Maybe yours is an isolated opinion Scott, and this movie isn't as completely terrible as it looks. (I highly doubt it though :) )

Lowell

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Bringing Down The House brings together a collection of characters that can be funny and offensive at the same time – but mostly, the latter. At one point in the film, I was wondering whether there is such a place on earth where these collective characters actually breathe and live as they do things for no rhyme or reason and mostly only to garner some laughs. But some of the jokes that were meant to be funny were actually mean-spirited.

The film puts racial stereotypes as the centerpiece for its humor. And in an attempt to make it an equal opportunity offender across racial divides, there is a subplot about an heiress and another involving a young white woman who is after older men and their money. Both are not funny.

There are some moments in the film however, that produce some genuine laughs including a scene where Steve Martin dresses up in ghetto gear and goes into an urban bar. But overall, these comical scenes with Martin were far and few in between that, in the end, they play out more like routines from a stand up act. In addition, some of the film’s better lines have already been compiled and revealed in the trailer that is currently making its rounds.

Having seen this at a complimentary studio screening, that’s about the extent of how much I would recommend investing in this film or better yet, just skip it altogether even on video. Its writing is not one of its better assets and neither are its crass jokes.

~Edwin

Edited for a typo

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
Ugly, awful, stupid and pointless. Steve Martin should be ashamed.
This movie's release is in great timing with the Academy Awards. Steve will have plenty of material to keep us amuse for at least 5 hours ;) I really can't wait for the event on Sunday, March 23rd :D

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
What's with all the race based comedies coming out? This film, Chris Rock's President movie, and the white rapper movie with Jamie Kennedy all coming out in the next few months.

Didn't the whole "square white people talking like rappers" thing become unfunny pretty much right after the first time it was done years ago? Not to mention, "Bulworth" was the only film that did it with any intelligence or style (and, is a highly underrated film) and it tanked. So, why try these stupid jokes again?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Bringing Down The House" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Bringing Down The House" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Well, I did have a great time and so did the audience I saw it with because laughter was heard often and loud throughout the playing of this film. Obviously, this film might not be for everybody and the old adage about comedy being subjective certainly applies to this film.

Crawdaddy

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Suffice it to say that I think Scott's take is pretty much dead on. Glad I skipped the advance to go to the Blue Jackets-Red Wings game Monday. Too bad I still had to see this.

Terrifically unfunny and needlessly perjorative in its humor. It'll still be a big hit, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks