What's new

***Official Blu-ray insiders thread (1 Viewer)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Since it has been quite awhile since Paidgeek has been able to respond here I thought I would throw this out. Besides the PS3, the first profile 2.0 player should be the Panasonic DMP-BD50. It was just released in Europe this past week so hopefully it won't be long before it shows up in the US.

There have been a few other announcements of profile 2.0 players at CES but still no firm release dates announced.

The Sapphire 3 and 4 by Sony (no dates)
Daewoo DBP-1000 and DBP-2000 (Quarter 1)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Our apologies for the lack of participation by PaidGeek. It's
obvious he's on a busy schedule and only promised to post
when he was available to do so.

Stay Tuned!

dan fritzen

Second Unit
PaidGeek, are all Blu-Ray discs coated to prevent scratching? Also is it true uncompressed PCM is a stop gap and that Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA are going to be used exclusively in the future? What is the factor that determines which audio codec a release gets?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm not Paidgeek, but I am pretty sure that the anti-scratch coating is part of the official BD spec. It should be on every disc that sports the BD logo.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
So, current players can't be updated to newer profiles ? How can I tell, before buying, which can be updated/not updated and what profile it comes with ?

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Are you sure about that ? I was reading where someone had trouble getting their Hellboy Blu-Ray to play so they updated the player.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
As I understand it, the BD profiles short of 2.0 can be remedied with firmware updates, but the requirements of Profile 2.0 involve hardware that not all players have, namely internal memory and ethernet to access the BD Live components (which I'm not sure exist on any release at this point). So the person updating his player to play Hellboy was likely doing a firmware update to Profile 1.1, not 2.0.

This article is pretty good: New Blu-ray 2.0 spec makes PS3 the most future-proof player

Though the folks at Engadget disagree since the PS3 doesn't do DTS HD audio Why the PS3 isn't the best Blu-ray player - Engadget HD

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

That's only true for now. If the rumored upcoming update is true -- and I feel pretty sure it is -- then the PS3 will be able to do DTS-HD/MA although it won't pass it as raw bitstream, but as decoded uncompressed PCM just like w/ Dolby True-HD.

_Man_

King-0f-Clever

Auditioning
Real Name
Philipp
i know this has been asked probably i just dont want to search the past 4 pages looking for the answer.
I have a Hitachi ultravision 50" rear projection TV that is HD compatable. Now this TV is from 04 is it compatable with Blue-ray or am i going to need to get a new TV as well. I have recently been seeing a sony and panasonic. which of these two companies is more reliable to go with?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
And you're asking this of a Sony employee?

Before he needs to honestly answer you, let me say that both are big firms and "normally" very reliable.

Your TV, when it's "HD compatible" as you state will work fine with a Blu-ray player. It may, or may not, have the highest resolutions available if you look at the horizontal and vertical pixel count on the screen, but I'm sure you will get a brilliant picture.

Just check if the inputs allow 720p video signals, or even better: 1080i or 1080p.

Cees

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Don't know if this is the best place for that question, but I would think your TV should be fine for Blu-ray (for the forseeable future) though it might not yield the best possible picture. Quite a few folks, including myself, are still using 1080i CRT-based RPTVs -- many w/ just component video inputs -- for viewing BDs (and HD DVDs too). While there is the eventual possibility that studios *might* put out BDs that disable 1080i output via component video and require use of HDMI (much like it's done for DVD upconversion), that's probably not gonna happen anytime soon, if ever, and shouldn't affect whatever titles released before then anyhow -- and chances are you'd have a new TV by then.

Hmmm... I had assumed your RPTV is CRT-based, but maybe it's one of the other variety like LCD or DLP. Anyway, it should work fine though it again might not yield the best possible picture depending on its actual performance/resolution capability...

_Man_

PS: I probably shouldn't be answering any questions here since I'm not an insider though this wasn't exactly an insider-type question (and it seems Paidgeek is too busy these days...).

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit

This has nothing to do with profiles. Incompatibilities of certain titles can be remedied with firmware updates on most or all players.
By the way, Hellboy is a profile 1.0 title. And even profile 1.1 and 2.0 titles should play on 1.0 players, except that some special features are not available.

Sorry for chiming in on an insider thread, but I thought it best to correct those misconceptions.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Hi, paidgeek.

The Starship Troopers 3: Marauder trailer is now up at the official site. I noticed it says just "coming to DVD." Will it be getting a Blu-ray release as well?

I thought maybe Starship Troopers was delayed in anticipation of this sequel.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
You can get Starship Troopers on Blu-ray as an import.

Director: Paul Verhoeven
Label: Buena Vista

Genre: Science Fiction Country: USA Year: 1997
From the bridge of the Fleet Battlestation Ticonderoga, with its sweeping galactic views, to the desolate terrain of planet Klendathu, teeming with shrieking, fire-spitting, brain-sucking special effect creatures, acclaimed director, Paul Verhoeven crafts a dazzling epic based on Robert A. Heinlein's classic sci-fi adventure.

Casper Van Dien, Dina Meyer, Denise Richards, Jake Busey, Neil Patrick Harris, Patrick Muldoon and Michael Ironside star as the courageous soldiers who travel the distant and desolate Klendathu system for the ultimate showdown between the species.

FEATURES Anamorphic (16x9 1080p) Widescreen Version
English PCM 5.1, English Dolby Digital 5.1, French DTS 5.1, French Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish DTS 5.1 & Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio Options
Optional English, French, Spanish, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish, Icelandic, and Dutch subtitles
"The Making Of Starship Troopers"
"Scene De-Constructions" (with audio commentary by director Paul Verhoeven)
Deleted Scenes
Screen Tests
Bug Test Film
Teaser trailer

This is a Region All Blu-Ray Disc. More information on Blu-Ray Regional Coding can be viewed HERE. We cannot accept a return due to player incompatibility.

STARSHIP TROOPERS [BLU-RAY]

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Actually I do not have this title, but I have been thinking about getting it. I was also thinking about getting Airforce One as well as it is another region all import blu-ray. Money is just really tight but I am considering both titles.

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
I have the British Starship Troopers and the Quality is fine. The first few moments have bad PQ, but as soon as the fictive TV transmission starts, its very good, lots of fine detail. Some Sequences are grainy, but I guess that is like the movie should look like, so no complains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks