*** Official "BEHIND ENEMY LINES" Review Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Dugger, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Behind Enemy Lines". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
    Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning! If you need to discuss those type of issues, I have designated an Official Discussion Thread which can be found at this link.
    Dugger

2. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

I liked this quite a bit. The overall theme worked - how hard it is in modern war to know who the hell the enemy is, and how often politics seems to overrule the best course of military action. And how it doesn't even seem like war when it's essentially a peacekeeping/observation force - but that doesn't mean men's lives aren't in danger.(The film's message sure benefits from what we've been through the past 6 or 7 years in military actions. Afghanistan helps one appreciate the technology showcased here, too.)

There were plot flaws, for sure, but not enough to ruin it.

I could have done with less camera swirling and jittering, but that's just me.

Owen Wilson did a good job in his first leading role. I cared whether he was rescued or not, and he was sufficiently convincing in the first dramatic role I've seen him do.

3. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Just saw this today. I enjoyed it. I found it to be quite convincing. The cat and mouse chase stuff was great. This will be a probable buy for me on DVD.

4. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

Ditto most of what you guy's said. I will be buying this on DVD. I wasn't annoyed by all the camera "tricks". I did think there was a problem with the projector the first few times the image and sound would freeze for a second or two.

5. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

What I liked: Leaving the theater

What I didn't like: The time between me entering the theater and that of what I liked.

I just personally thought that this movie was flat out bad.

6. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

Kelley-

I'm trying to figure what what contribution your post makes to this thread.

"Flat out bad" may be sufficiently descriptive to you, but it doesn't help me understand what's good, bad, or indifferent about this film - it's merely dismissive, which, again, adds very little to this discussion.

Would you care to enlighten us at all about why you felt it was a waste of two hours?

7. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I also enjoyed the film for the most part.

Owen Wilson did quite well in this film, although I was expecting a bit morew humor from the guy...maybe it's just becasue I'm a fan.

Anyway, the only thing that bugged me was the fact that hundreds of Bosnians are shooting at our poor Owen and he NEVER gets hit! It's absurd for an action movie that's trying to be serious.

Other than that, a good flick.

8. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Behind Enemy Lines was a welcome surprise.
    I thought it was an extremely well made, exciting, thoroughly entertaining action film.
    I had heard such mediocre comments about this film that I was amazed at how good it was. Owen Wilson gives a likable performance as a downed pilot trying to get out of hostile territory. Gene Hackman gives another fine performance as his commanding officer. The film moves at a fast pace with some really exciting action sequences. The story is timely and patriotic and not too over the top considering it's actually partly based on a true story.
    A worthwhile way to spend two hours and highly recommended.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Shoichi

Shoichi Auditioning

I enjoyed it too. I went to the theater expecting a mindless, cheesy hollywood film. Having seen Owen's other movies, I was looking forward to enjoying more of his unique humor and style. Well, I was pleasantly surprised with some decent dramatic acting - he didn't cheese it up or try to be funny at inappropriate moments.
    Overall the movie's pace and suspense kept me going through the whole movie. This is not the same caliber as say, Black Hawk Down, but it was definitely an enjoyable movie.
    They did cheese up a few action parts of the movie (like the final scene), but it wasn't bad enough to ruin the movie.
    I'm looking forward to watching the missile scene on my setup at home! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

My 8-word review for "Behind Enemy Lines": Daddy told me there'd be days like this.

It's not the greatest military yarn ever made, but it had enough mini battles that had to be fought to get Owen Wilson's character a chance at getting out from behind enemy lines after his F-18 aircraft is shot down for taking reconm photos of some bad stuff that would illuminate some heinous war crimes.

I thought the characterizations were pretty good, and Owen Wilson did a nice job with his role, as did Gene Hackman, who hasn't let me down in much of anything that he does.

One of the things that did bother me is the over-used Saving Private Ryan military warfare footage style (all grainy and choppy in an attempt to show the chaos of the moment). I do wish they'd get back to conventional action footage that show the battles in "real time" and not rely on the "adrenalizing" of the battle footage.

The final act was actually very good, and showed the true measure of both Wilson's and Hackman's characters.

I give 3 stars or a grade of B.

11. Tim Raffey

Tim Raffey Stunt Coordinator

I didn't like this movie very much at all. Primarily, I thought the overall message was somewhat askew, leaving me questioning the actions of the so-called "good guys" (Gene Hackman, et al.), compared to the meddling higher-up (Joaquim de Almeida). What's more, even after the movie acknowledges the hypocracy of the heros' wishes, they (along with the film) ignore it for the rest of the movie, while the heros are heros, and the Serbs shoot at them...badly. I also found that the movie provided no insight into the conflict in Bosnia (which was my primary reason for seeing the movie--not that I was really expecting much), instead painting broad portraits of the different factions. There were only a couple scenes in the film that I thought gave any idea as to what Bosnia was like (the landmine scene being one; though to show the abundance of landmines in two scenes, but have our hero run around freely for the rest of the movie was a tad ludicrous). Aside from those two things, I think the general innacuracies (a Serbian military officer shooting a submachine gun with one hand, Burnett dodging bullets like nerf balls, etc) also made the movie just a step above unwatchable.
    D-; [​IMG]1/2...whatever you want to call it.

12. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Story: [​IMG] [​IMG] 1/2
    Sound quality: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] 1/2
    Video quality (at my local megaplex) [​IMG]
    BEST sound I've heard in awhile!

13. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I finally saw this flick, and thought I'd dig up this thread to talk about my reaction.

Owen Wilson redeemed himself for all his cheesyness in other roles. Gene Hackman was successful too (when is he not?). I liked the adrenaline pumping, heart-stopping directing. And oh yes, the ending, no matter how unrealistic, was off the hook.

Bottom line, nothing wrong with this flick, and when the DVD hits store shelves, I'll be picking it up.

Oh one more thing...the Wilson/football reference was funny, but why in a movie set in 1997? Maybe Zemekis heard about a pilot fooling around with a football that fell in the adraitic, liked it, and used it in Castaway. But who cares, I think this was the director's first film (according to imdb.com)...hell of a job, man.